Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the new K&N Aircharger!

Old 06-07-2002, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the new K&N Aircharger!

I've been looking for a CAI for a while, most of them don't gain hp at all and some require cutting and hard to reach for the replacement filter! I have used K&N products on few of my cars and like it.

So, I just ordered this Aircharger kit online for $277 with shipping. Lets hope it's worth the money for extra 8-10 HP?????

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=65599
Old 06-07-2002, 04:04 PM

I would be curious to see what the KN filter pulls on the dyno - the concern I have is the location of the filter and use of the hood as a seal. Maybe I missed something in the PDF, but the system seems quite similiar to the stock box - with the exception of the KN gauze filtration. I dont want to discourage you because KN distibutes fine products - and their quality is on par with OEM pieces. Please post the results.

I will say, the amount of cutting on the AEM is quite minimal and the splash shield costs less than $25 to replace. In my previous post the CAI put down 9 horses on the S2000 and more than 7 on the SER.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:03 PM

Where Can I Dyno my car? Never done it before, Now that I have at least over 8000 miles on the car, I think I'm ready for the 1st Dyno. Can we do a Dyno day for the group again? Anyone interested, please let me know. I should receive my Aircharger within 5 days (next week?)
Old 06-07-2002, 05:12 PM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Be sure to keep us informed as to ease of installation, performance, etc...I'm very interested in this product, hope everthing works out as anticipated for you.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:21 PM

Without a doubt - go here.. Engineered Performance (http://www.engineered.net/).
Excellent group to work with. If you missed it last time - here are the #'s from last time.

SER #'s - overlay of before AEM and after

Old 06-08-2002, 03:37 PM

Patch,

I never have done any Dyno to any car before, do they have to have the hood up like that? Because that might beat the purpose of the K&N design???( to seal with the hood area?)

Anyway, I'm going to a Dyno just to see what I got on my car stock. How how does it cost and how long does it take??

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2002, 04:39 PM

In all relative purposes, the hood should be up to allow cooler air to move across the engine (stationary fan) and for the release of hot air emitting from the header, radiator and engine. RPM signals are pulled from the #1 wire - hence another reason.

Now, I truly can see no benefit of keeping the hood closed on the K/N intake for the reason of the new CAI still uses the same intake passageway as the stock box vent. It would appear pulling ambient air from outside the engine bay would be a wiser choice. I dont want to sound disparaging but think of it this way - a true CAI places the filter within a direct stream of cold air (when the car is in motion) - away from the heat generated by the engine and surrounding components. On a dyno - the CAI, whether a true CAI or one in the engine bay has a limiting factor of not receiving this same flow of cool air. Now the AEM released 8 more horses for two simple reasons - the intake charge was cooler because the air it was feeding into the cylinders was ambient (or slightly less) AND the kinky plastic OEM tubing was no longer in play - replaced by smooth aluminum piping.

Now if you really want to see some magic, place a bag of ice in your K/N airbox - let it sit for 15mins - run the dyno. You will find another 4hp or more - easy.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:30 AM

Dennis,
For a true Experiment you will have to Dyno Before AND After. If you would like a very accurate Dyno without formulas to adjust for errors go to Knowledge Performance in Woodstock. I would love to help you install it! I live really close on Barrett Pwky.

They have Dyno Pack 5000's there. They have Four of them! So that means they are the only tuner shop that can do 4-Wheel Drive Dynos in the Southeast.

Knowledge Performance
678-445-0688
Ask for Kevin or Joseph

Even if you don't go let me know if you need help
Old 06-10-2002, 05:35 AM

At Knowledge Performance I think the price is a little higher than Eng. Perf. Like $75/hr with the DynoJet 5000. The hood Might need to be up for RPM Sensors but I think they can wire it so that you can close the hood.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My thoughts are this:

1) Seems pricey for what you get, heatshield, plastic tube, filter, misc. hoses & hardware.
2) I also don't like the fact that they use the aluminum hood to seal. I'd be worried that I'd dent the hood from the inside. If there is clearance between the hood and the heatshield then it's not really a CAI.
3) Other than a smoother intake tube I don't see any other advantages over stock.

850, when you get it installed I'd love to see it in person.

Quick Reply: I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the new K&N Aircharger!