Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

New here but do not drive an S2000

Old 10-03-2001, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here but do not drive an S2000

Just like to say this is a great website, enjoyed reading about all of the stuff going on in Atlanta. I see a few of the S2k's on the road during my travel time on GA400. I think they are awesome cars for performance, looks and handling but I had to stick with a V8. So if you see me in my 01 cobra vert give a honk or a wave.....maybe I will see some of you guys around town....take care and happy motoring
Old 10-04-2001, 04:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2001 Cobra Vert, too bad you didn't opt for the S2000. One way to look at it for us is one less S2000 driving around makes our car less common. Lots and lots of Mustangs out there.

As a matter of fact I took a 99 Cobra Convertible for a test drive before I bought my car. No offense but I couldn't stand the loose handling of the car. It felt too big and not nimble like the "S". Just my opinion though, I do like the Mustangs for their raw Torque and cheap/easy mods. Did you go to the Mustang Club show last weekend?

As for the honk or a wave, I don't think we can do that , again it's not that we don't like your car it's just that where does it end?

Before you know it we're honking and waving at Solara Convertibles or Sebring Convertibles, Miatas, Firebird Convertibles (yuuuuukkkkk)... So you see, we S2000 guys need to stick together. We've got a really great club going and we're all having a ton of fun with this car.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:33 AM

Are you being completely serious with your post??? If you are then I just wasted my time coming over to this board to pay you guys some compliments on your car.....I mean this is to damn funny, really......If you are a true car enthusiast then you pay mind to ALL PERFORMANCE CARS....anyway you are entitled to your opinion.

Actually I did drive an S2000 but did not have enough balls for me handled great but not sure that the handling characteristics are that diff from a Cobra or S2k granted the weight is diff but the cobra stock pulls about .9g about the same as an s2k....also mustangs maybe be a dime a dozen but the cobras sure are not....In reality in Atlanta I see alot more 00-01 S2k's than 01 cobras by far.

Well enjoy your little club and sorry you do not see performance cars the way I do......Also I belong to 3 diff SVT clubs but I can admire and socialize with other makes of fast cars. Goodbye
Old 10-04-2001, 12:03 PM

Hey Cobravert guy, I was not trying to be rude, just a bit humorous. Like you, I also like all performance cars no matter what make they are.

As for your comparison of how many Mustangs you see versus S2000's well, I'll put it this way, you see tons of Mustangs but I agree that relatively few are Cobras and fewer still are Cobra Convertibles. According to Ford, 7,200 Cobras were produced in 2001 versus ~5,000 US bound S2000's in the same year.

Virtually no Cobras were produced in MY2000 partly due to the problems of MY1999 and due in part to the factory catching on fire. Not many Cobras were produced in 1999 because of HP problems (intake & exhaust). Overall there would be more S2000's on the road than 1999 or newer Cobras, again I agree.

The big difference is that there is only one version of an S2000 versus the Mustang V6, GT, Cobra (not to mention Roush and Saleen). My point is that the Mustang body style IS far more common and the average person couldn't tell the difference at a glance.

As for the handling, you have your opinion and I have mine. Being that this is an S2000 board of course MY opinion will be shared by most here. Any car is only as good as the driver but the handling of S2000 is so razor sharp that the Cobra is not in the same league (I'd like to see a Cobra Convertible run The Dragon at the same speed that the S2000 does . We have several converted Mustang people on this board but I haven't heard of anyone trading in their S2000 for a Mustang.

BTW, nobody is forcing you to "waste" your time on this board but if you want to voice your opinion that's okay, we can have an intelligent conversation. This board, more than any other, has some of the best minds sharing their opinions. If you want to cry about it, I can't help you.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:11 PM

Damn Dave...you chased the Ford lover away...
Old 10-04-2001, 12:57 PM

I apologize if I took your post out of context. Sometimes it is difficult to pickup on the tone that is being depicted through UBB's. I don't think I am wasting my time on this board, I find it very entertaining to read all of the posts. Again you guys have a great car so please continue to enjoy.

This "Dragon" course, where is it located and what times and speeds were you guys running.

Sorry if I came across harsh that was not my intent by any means.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:54 PM

The Dragon is a great strectch of road on US129 in the North Carolina / Tennessee mountians. See www.tailofthedragon.com

There are no times or speeds, that I care to list, as the real point of it is to have fun through the 318 turns of the 11 mile stretch. This is where the S2000 really shines. It's a tough road with many switchbacks, the less weight you have the better off you are. S2000 owners come from all over the country to drive this road, makes every one of them do this --->.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 2001 Cobra Vert
This "Dragon" course, where is it located and what times and speeds were you guys running.
Here's the "test".

1. Go to the "Dragon".
2. Drive it a few times.
3. Hang out at the gas station and talk to a few sport bike riders.
4. Take one of them for a ride.

You pass if:
1. He gets out of the car, and for the next 10 minutes can't stop saying "Goddamm this thing STICKS!!!"
Old 10-05-2001, 05:29 PM

Cobra Vert!

We meet with lots of other clubs on our drives. We have had Vipers, Boxsters, and BMWs. I personally would love to see your car. I have not had the privledge of seeing one up close.

Since you are new to the area, I would like to personally invite you on our next drive. I am sure that the DUDE shares the invite.

Last weekend, we all met at my house with the hope of seeing some classic mustangs, SS, and such. It was cancelled. We were very disapointed.

We DO share a common interest, and yes we are probably bias, but are definitely friendly.

Hope to see you. Please follow on MOUNTAIN drive post.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:01 AM

Just caught the Motorweek review of the 2002 Mustang Cobra. They gave it somewhat mixed reviews, mostly they picked it apart:

1) 0-60 in 5.3s (pretty good but the show said they expected more out a "honest" 320hp/317 lbf. tq. engine). Quarter mile clicked off in 13.7s. Overall not that much faster than the generally accepted 5.6s 0-60/14.1 1/4 mile of the S. (And we're doing it with 1/2 the number of cylinders, and a whole lot less HP and torque.

2) Massive 13", twin piston Brembo brakes didn't impress the testers either, 60-0 was 121 ft. Roughly the same as the S.

3) Handling was especially disappointing, they said that there was a lot of body roll and chassis flex. They didn't like the IRS (independent rear suspension), saying that the previous solid rear axle seem to connect the car to the road better.

4) Base price was a high point at only $29,000.

They also reviewed the Bullit Mustang. A Mustang GT that was restyled after the famous movie starring Steve McQueen. They had a lot of good things to say about the car. The interior and exterior styling was nicely enhanced. Performance was similar to the GT, not the Cobra since the Bullit only gets a 5hp boost. At around $26,000 it looked like a nice package since they are also limited production.

I know this review was just another opinion but these guys have been reviewing cars for over 20 years and to me seem to be very objective.

Anyone else see this review?

Quick Reply: New here but do not drive an S2000