Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Possible New Owner Seeks Advice

Old 08-27-2001, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New Owner Seeks Advice

I'm currently shopping for a used 2001 S2K and am close to making a decision. Any advice from the current owners out there? Here are my concerns:

1. I've heard the tires wear out very fast. I'm not looking to race the car, and most of my driving will be typical Atlanta traffic. Will I spend a fortune on tires?

2. Anybody know how much the hard top costs?

3. The cars I've test driven don't seem to have the low end torque that I was expecting. How hard to you have to drive the car to get that "thrown to the back of the seat" feeling? (I haven't had a chance to take it on the highway yet.)

4. Will I be laughed at for driving a yellow car? :-)

Seriously, the S2K is beautiful and fun to drive, but I'm not looking for a high maintenance vehicle. Can I get lots of enjoyment out of this thing without having to change the oil every week? All advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:23 PM

Three words for you...it's a Honda. Yes tires are a bit expensive and the gas mileage isn't great, but it is a good car built by a good car company. Get one and I'm sure you will enjoy it like the rest of do.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:35 AM

Welcome!

1. Yes! most performance car or GT car with sports tires will wear faster than the normal car because of its soft compound. But S2000 tires are not too bad. For OEM S02s are around $19X-$240 that's mount and balanced per tire. I have seem other tires on Porsche or Corvettes going for around $300 per tire (because of it's size)

2. You have to shop around for the hard top! You can find them on the internet for less. I think around here at the dealers is around $2950-$3500 (check you local dealers). I think you can find lower price on the internet for as less as $2500.

3. Remember this is a 2.0 liter, 4 cylinder car! Don't expect the torque to be like the monster V8s! But it's plenty to push from 0-60 MPH in around 6 sec. When you test drive the car, did you rev above 6,000 RPM? That's when VETC starts and the kicking begin! (But don't expect to be like a turbo car! Remember, this is a small NA 2000cc engine! It is meant to drive on the mountain road, not at the stop lights or in the inner city - although you can, but it will feel like a Civic when you are not driving hard!-) ** If you are really looking for torque? Go for the Supra turbo or wait for the new Z car!

4.Why? Do you look funny in a yellow car? Just don't wear pink or something like that when driving the yellow S2000, unless you are hot looking girl (j/k). We have several yellow cars in our local Atlanta club. Check our website to see some pictures and info. http://www.s2000-atlanta.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

This car do use oil, just like some of the RX7s. You have to check the oil at every gas fill-up, unless you want to risk of low oil consumption. I can't explained why the oil loss in the engine? I never seen an oil leak from my car, but more I hit the VETC range more oil is lost in my engine!

Gas mileage isn't that bad unless you VETC all the time! I have heard people are getting around 28-30 mpg on the highway, but I usually gets around 22 mpg at mixed highway and city driving with a lot of VETCing.

One thing to beware is the tires in the winter time or during a heavy rain storm! They might be a little tricky to drive with a cold or slippy tires!
Old 08-28-2001, 04:29 AM

Welcome Mark,

Let me start off by saying the SK is an incredible car to drive, if you enjoy driving. It's not a car for everyone. The ride can be harsh at times. My S2K is strictly for 'play'. There a lot of members that use their S2K as a daily driver, but I couldn't, even if I wanted too. You don't drive the S2K in the snow. The original S02 (OEM) version are not great rain tires. I would look into tires that handle the rain a little better. My mom & dad live north-east of Atlanta, so I've seen how some of the freeways flood in a bad rain. If I could only own one car, I don't think I would own an S2K, but since I have a good daily driver, it's fine for me.

Yellow looks good on some people, at me. Mine is Silverstone/Black, no need to stand out in a crowd.

Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:49 AM

Hi Mark,

Were you the one test driving the yellow stook at Lanier on Sunday afternoon? If so, I saw ya!
Old 08-28-2001, 05:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Critchett
[B]I'm currently shopping for a used 2001 S2K and am close to making a decision.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:33 AM

IMHO, if you just want a "cruiser" you should probably opt for a BMW, MB, or Audi. VTEC is not for everyone... and if you don't want to rev to 6000 rpm, it's just like driving a Civic w/ 2.0 liter engine.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want a car that's fun to drive, there is nothing like this one. I can only suggest that you take another test drive. Lanier Honda doesn't seem to mind adding miles to their new cars, many of them had 100-200 miles on the odometer (no longer new in my opinion).
Old 08-29-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will get tons of advice on this forum, so be sure to consider your own preferences when you make that important decision.

Personally, I have never owned a car like the S2000. (I'm 47) It is undoubtedly the finest car I've ever driven, everything just fits and meshes so well, it truly is a car with a mission - and that mission is to be driven with spirit.

I am a sports car "purist", that is, I won't compromise ride for handling. I ran Koni shocks on daily driver street cars. I put solid motor mounts in. Some people complain that the stook is too "unrefined" for daily driving. I say they are too refined for the stook.

I drive to Charlotte every week, and those few occasions when I have to take my wife's Lexus (because of passengers) I almost cry. Since I do mostly highway driving, I get great gas mileage (29-30) and tire mileage (26k on rears, fronts still great at 30k). You will do much worse with city driving.

But look at it like this - how much does this really cost you? An extra $500 per year? Would you be willing to pay an additional $2500 for a GREAT sports car over the price of a mediocre one?
Old 08-29-2001, 06:16 PM

Holy cow! Bob, you are at 30k in the stook!
I am glad to hear that the car is holding up so well.

I have only been on one long trip in my car. Asheville days. And I only got to drive half way back! I personally don't recommend deer hunting in the car as a means to reduce mileage!

S2k is a great car, but you must watch out for those L'ville owners. They will say anything to get you to get a Yellow one. I believe they think there is safety in numbers.

It is a proven fact that Red makes the car go faster. Don't beleive me? Check under the hood. They are all red, where it counts!!!

Todd

Quick Reply: Possible New Owner Seeks Advice