ROEBLING ROAD: Two January Events

Old 12-15-2001, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROEBLING ROAD: Two January Events

Link to Florida Members Roebling Road post

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=38897
Old 12-15-2001, 09:37 PM

Sounds pretty interesting! Guys, want to try it? I heard Roebling Road is a great track! You can really test the speed of the S2000 there! It's not like Road Atlanta with all the up and downs, especially on the straight a way. You can really gain speed! I think someone had mentioned to me at this one turn (turn 5 or was turn 9??) he actually drifted his bike going over 100 mph! (on two wheels!) Must be fun and scary?
Old 12-17-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just in case anyone is wondering, Roebling Road Raceway is just outside Savannah, GA. About 250 miles from Atlanta, roughly a 4 hour drive I think.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:43 AM

Yeah! Good old Savannah. Nice older town. May be we can do a two days weekend trip for the club in the Summer and hit for the Beach (Mertle Beach, SC. or was that Hilton Head? About another hour or hour and half away from Savannah?)
Old 12-18-2001, 11:43 AM

Hilton Head is just North!
Old 12-19-2001, 04:57 AM

Not sure what to call this post...

"You can really test the speed of the S2000 there! It's not like Road Atlanta with all the up and downs, especially on the straight a way. You can really gain speed! I think someone had mentioned to me at this one turn (turn 5 or was turn 9??) he actually drifted his bike going over 100 mph! (on two wheels!) Must be fun and scary?" ... Well I don't know what tracks you have driven but if you can drive you car well and have learned how to drive you car you can exit turn 12 BLIND down hill turn at road Atlanta at well over 112 and I hit 130 on the front straight. the elevation changes at road Atlanta make it one of the great tracks in the world -- Not to say Roebling is not a great track... It is, I like it a lot

But your comment about speed on a Straight a a ways is pure carp -- Speed is an after product of being smooth and fast in the turns then you go fast on straight a ways by the way with the new grooved in turn 7 at Road Atlanta you exit that turn over 70 now and that allows for 130+ straight speeds as well -- if you can drive the turns! Any one can get a car and put it in a straight line and stand on the gas - what fun is that our cars are built for putting the top down and driving twisty roads -- or at least that is what I was told and belive

I am not trying to start a flame war -- your statement of the Ups and downs taking away from speeds is off base.

SMH
Old 12-19-2001, 05:04 AM

Why drive 8 hours (round trip) when you can have 3 times the track time here in Atlanta. the Weather has been Great this winter and ABC has a Great event set up at Road Atlanta... for Jan 12 and 13...

Just a Question?

SMH
Old 12-19-2001, 06:29 AM

That's just it! I'm not a professional or a super great driver! I'm sure most our S2000 members are good drivers, but not everyone have all the experienced on the tracks! I don't want some of our inexperience drivers to find themselves in an dangerous situation! Or damage their car is the last thing I want my members to have. I JUST want "majority of our club members" to have FUN and enjoy the drive and plus to have fun at the beach since the beach is so close from Savannah! I never said that they shouldn't join the Road Atlanta runs, and this is ONLY ONE of planning for our club members! May be I am Crap, because I don't know What am talking about! I never drove it on Roebling Road track! and never really Drove hard on Road Atlanta! I'm just providing information to my members on What I have heard from my friend. And that's directly from an formal Bike Racer (and a car racer too)!

But your comment about speed on a Straight a a ways is pure carp -- Speed is an after product of being smooth and fast in the turns then you go fast on straight a ways
Smooth is the key! Not everyone's got it!

Road Atlanta is a great track, but not an easy track for everyone (Am I right on this one? Plus there are more concrete walls now! I'm not very found of those!) There are coupler of dangerous spots on the track! Turn 12 (blind spot) is one of them! It will be scary for the newbies! Plus when I say up and downs, I mean all the hills that We need to pull from our S2000 (S2000 are not build to pull as fast as some other cars) We really have to rev that engine up through all the turns, I was just worried about some of our member might get into trouble if they are not used to their car! Hey, Please don't get on my case and start Flaming just because I suggested to go to Roebling Road for the Summer! I'm not looking to drive it on Roebling road by myself! This is going to be a group activity. It's good for the Atlanta people to go out and have a field trip once a while (2 or more more day trip, 8 hours is nothing! We have already talking about drive to Biltmore Estate! That's also about 7 hours round trip! I used to live in Asheville! I used to go back and forth all the time! That's just more time to enjoy our S2000!), plus we needed the varieties! It will be nice to drive as much of different tracks as possible. We were also thinking about the Little Talledaga as well. Just our planning for the club events. We even want to participate in the AutoCross next year; Is that something matter? In our club, there is a large age differences and driving experiences (ages from 16-50's up!). Yes! I think Roebling Road will be a bit safer than the Road Atlanta for "AVERAGE" S2000 driver! There aren't as many walls to worried about and it's easier to managing shifting when there aren't many "up and down" hills to worry about. Please look at the Big pictures here! We are not all like you (If you think you're the greatest driver)! I just want "EVERYONE" in the club to have FUN!

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:27 AM

I was not trying to Flame you and I am not the greatest driver -- I was suggesting to do a event closer to home since to date I know of only maybe 5 local members who have done a DE and yes doing an event at other tracks is great but again there have been very few S2000's at ANY DE's in the South East. (AMS there were 3) a few Panoz track days maybe 3 as well) and a few PCA events. Not to mention that more and more clubs are not letting them in with out additional roll cages. All regional BMWCCA events are out with out roll cages, Carolina PCA is out with out roll cages and Peachstate PCA (Atlanta) is doing the broomstick test to Boxsters, I know of No S2000 that can pass that so they are now out as well. A DE is about learning and a DE like the one at Road Atlanta Jan 12-13 has a novice group that has 6 hours of instruction for novice drives with the Instructor in the car -- that is the same as doing 3 WEEKEND events with PCA -- since you get maybe 2 - hours of track time in group 1 per weekend!

On the other side my car is SLOWER than an S2000 according to the #'s it has less torq and HP and yet it pulls the hills fine at RA the turn 12 at RA is to be Very respected but I have to say I have seen MANY more bad accidents at Robeling (rolling cars) because of the lack of walls and the S2000 is not a car you want to roll -- I something about the walls at RA, I hit the wall at RA at 120 in the esses... 2 weeks before the PCA club race -- no roll and no one was hurt.

Again I am not Flaming you I am trying to get Local S2000 to the track -- and the fact that it is 6 hours of track time is a Bonus -- So please that is all I am trying to do --

Have a good one and Drive Safe!

SMH
Old 12-19-2001, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info. ! How many spaces do we have left now? I think most of the S2000 members know about the rear end condition of the S2000 during the cold weather! I think that's the major factor about them coming out during the Winter season? (But so far, the weather has been pretty warm lately)
Now, I might be thinking about coming up if I still have the money to spend (Holidays really froze up my bank account), since my 2002 S2000 kind of handles a bit differently than my 2001? I can't explained it, but so far I haven't experience the tail end slid yet. (even in the rain!)

I'll check the info on the DE again, might see you there! Just don't laugh if the weather gets cold, and I'm doing donuts in the middle of the track!

Why do you say you have less torque? (Even with the 2.5 liter regular Boxster; you have over 180 ft-lb of torque at much lower RPM. Our S2000 doesn't get the max. torque until 7,500 RPM! and still at only 153 ft-lb of torque. As I can remember, they weight about the same?) Which Boxster model do you have? Are you okay by hitting the wall? Is the car undamaged? Peace!

Quick Reply: ROEBLING ROAD: Two January Events