S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech SC VS Vortech SC

Old 02-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech SC VS Vortech SC

I planing to get a SC for my car I would like to know which one is better....
Old 02-04-2003, 09:09 PM

ud probably be better off doign a search.. lots of opinions on these 2 anyway.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:14 PM

A number of reasons sent me headed towards the Comptech piece. I researched them both for about 2 months, scouring over every post I could find here on the board.

1. The Comptech unit has been out longer, and has a track record of running reliably. There are a number of members with tens of thousands of miles on the SC with no issues. People still seem to be having issues with the Vortech; there are a number of current threads dealing with Vortech problems.

2. "The Vortech one has an aftercooler" argument for the same price is worthless. The performance gains between the two units are almost identical, and the Comptech one does so with less boost (6psi vs 7-8psi) and without the benefit of an aftercooler. Comptech states that their boost upgrade/aftercooler package will finally be available this spring (as posted by Mike B on their web site). Reports put it at 340hp AT THE WHEELS. That's a true comparison - a reliable 340whp to Vortechs 285whp.

3. Comptech is focused exclusively on Honda/Acura performance and works closely with Honda. Vortech is all over the map in terms of what makes and models they support.

4. I read the install instructions for both. The Comptech unit is MUCH less invasive than the Vortech one. Drill and tap a hole in the oilpan? Not me...

5. I purchased the unit through my dealer and had them install it. Granted, it cost me a few hundred more for the charger than I could have bought it for online, but I have NO concerns about any warranty issues. They've stated several times that when I'm ready to sell the car to give them first crack at it, as they'd have no problem "certifying" it, even with the supercharger.

6. Post-install, all I can say is "WOW". Even the mechanics were impressed about how smoothly everything went together.

I love the car with the supercharger on it... it's an incredibly powerful machine now, with balls to match its handling capability. It's all opinion - both kits seem to have their pros and cons. Regardless of which way you end up going, good luck with it!

Ryan
Old 02-05-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by RyanITV

Comptech states that their boost upgrade/aftercooler package will finally be available this spring (as posted by Mike B on their web site). Reports put it at 340hp AT THE WHEELS. That's a true comparison - a reliable 340whp to Vortechs 285whp.

Wow, 340hp at the wheels! How much will they be asking for that? That seems like the way to go for for me. Will this new package improve the 0-60 time any better than 0.1 of a sec? I would like see more boost before I hit VTEC.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:40 AM

I did hours or research and decided on the Vortech unit. It seems to be more bang for the buck (more like 292 RWHP) and it seems they have their issues with the black box solved (they sent out the wrong control boxes in early deliveries). If the aftercooler does nothing, why is Comptech now coming out with one? They say it will add $1000-1500 to add this to the price of exsisting units. Tapping the oil pan is no big deal and S/C gets a fresh supply cooled oil, and when you change your engine oil, you change the S/C's oil-no need for the extra work changing out supercharger oil. 6 qts of cooing oil has to cool better than the small amount inside the Comptech. Plus, while you have your oilpan down, you can upgrade your oil jet bolts if you have older than a 2002 1/2 model, which IMO should be done to any S2000 with S/C. I would conclude to say they are both good units, the Comptech is easier to install, has a great track record, but it seems to me that lately, everyone on this board who is going F/I are going with Vortech. This was also the recommended unit by all of the sponsers I spoke with on this board that offer both. Vortech only makes superchargers and have been around a lot longer than Comptech in this field, and I am told they make the guts for Comptech??? They are not going to get 340 HP by just adding the Aftercooler, and my dealer said he would also cerify my car with the Vortech unit. Both give nice power gains, so which ever you end up with-enjoy!!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by VTECPHIL#6829
I did hours or research and decided on the Vortech unit. It seems to be more bang for the buck (more like 292 RWHP) and it seems they have their issues with the black box solved (they sent out the wrong control boxes in early deliveries). If the aftercooler does nothing, why is Comptech now coming out with one? They say it will add $1000-1500 to add this to the price of exsisting units. Tapping the oil pan is no big deal and S/C gets a fresh supply cooled oil, and when you change your engine oil, you change the S/C's oil-no need for the extra work changing out supercharger oil. 6 qts of cooing oil has to cool better than the small amount inside the Comptech. Plus, while you have your oilpan down, you can upgrade your oil jet bolts if you have older than a 2002 1/2 model, which IMO should be done to any S2000 with S/C. I would conclude to say they are both good units, the Comptech is easier to install, has a great track record, but it seems to me that lately, everyone on this board who is going F/I are going with Vortech. This was also the recommended unit by all of the sponsers I spoke with on this board that offer both. Vortech only makes superchargers and have been around a lot longer than Comptech in this field, and I am told they make the guts for Comptech??? They are not going to get 340 HP by just adding the Aftercooler, and my dealer said he would also cerify my car with the Vortech unit. Both give nice power gains, so which ever you end up with-enjoy!!!!

A couple of clarifications:

1. The Comptech unit is oiled by a tap on the VTEC solenoid (a plate supplied with the kit). The oil is returned with a hose that is fitted into the drain plug hole. A fresh supply of oil is therefore routed through the blower.

2. The blower unit itself in the Comptech kit is made by Paxton - it is a NOVI 1000. All of the brackets are made by Comptech. I am not sure who makes the FMU or fuel pump. The hoses are likely Earls or some other braided line manufacturer.

A simple question: If you were a sponsor and you made $1500 on supercharger A and $750 on supercharger B, which would you recommend when a potential customer asked you for your opinion?

-YS
Old 02-05-2003, 11:41 AM

YS-thanks for the clarification on the above. My point was that Comptech mostly assembles everyone elses parts for their kit, Vortech does most themselves. I will admit that after I decided to go Vortech, I stopped researching the Comptech.

I have read, and maybe you can shed some light on how Comptech does their oil return line into the drain plug hole as it has been mentioned in some of the technical posts that this is not an ideal set -up.
Just for grins, I spoke with board sponsers AFTER I already had purchased the Vortech through a local business that I choose to support for install, etc. and although I seriously doubt the Comptech kit can really have that much less mark-up as you suggest ($1500vs$750) when market value (what people pay), is less than $200 difference. Plus, the Vortech comes with an aftercooler which has to add to the actual cost of production. If anything, I would think that since the Comptech kit has less options and middle man's the big parts (paxton doesn't give them to Comptech for no profit) and Vortech is 99% in house, wouldn't one think you have the profit margins theory reversed?
No one yet has made it clear how Comptech will achieve the 340 HP by just added an after/intercooler without raising from the 6 lbs of boost. Do they know of a miracle that the other companies that have been making them for 20 years don't know about? Great food for thought, though. I have not been privy to any dealers costs so my statements on the profit margins are just my theory.

I have friends who have Comptech, and they have had no major troubles and build nice power, so my decision was tough to make! I just though I would get this thread charged up a little and then the great info like yours will come pouring in. Phil
Old 02-05-2003, 11:43 AM

PS, I don't know Comptec's warranty, I think it is only one year???

I do know Vortech's is three years.

On the 340 HP, I was thinking rear wheel, Vortech is advertising 358HP at the crank (we'll see) so that purported 340 HP may not be as far fetched as I originally thought! In fact, it makes sense if they keep boost at 6 lbs. that would probably be the diff.in that and the 358HP at 7 lbs.????

I will let you guys know how my install goes this weekend. I know it is going to be a bitch, for the installer that is.....

I will also let everyone know if I have any problems with this kit.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by VTECPHIL#6829
PS, I don't know Comptec's warranty, I think it is only one year???

I do know Vortech's is three years.

On the 340 HP, I was thinking rear wheel, Vortech is advertising 358HP at the crank (we'll see) so that purported 340 HP may not be as far fetched as I originally thought! In fact, it makes sense if they keep boost at 6 lbs. that would probably be the diff.in that and the 358HP at 7 lbs.????

I will let you guys know how my install goes this weekend. I know it is going to be a bitch, for the installer that is.....

I will also let everyone know if I have any problems with this kit.
Comptech's warranty is 2 years.

-YS
Old 02-05-2003, 12:07 PM

Let me clarify that I am not getting into the "which supercharger is better" battle. I was just clarifying a couple things you had incorrect.

I cannot shed any light on the oil return. I haven't heard of any blown blower seals, so my *assumption* is that it is working OK.

Regarding profit - I have spoken to one sponsor on this board that has said that he makes more money on a Vortech than on a Comptech when they are sold at retail. The numbers I threw out were hypothetical. I would think that if you are making your own parts instead of using others (like the Paxton unit) that your costs would be lower since there is no middle man....maybe I'm wrong.

I am under the impression that the 340 number that has been quoted is with an increase in boost.

-YS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTECPHIL#6829
[B]YS-thanks for the clarification on the above. My point was that Comptech mostly assembles everyone elses parts for their kit, Vortech does most themselves. I will admit that after I decided to go Vortech, I stopped researching the Comptech.

I have read, and maybe you can shed some light on how Comptech does their oil return line into the drain plug hole as it has been mentioned in some of the technical posts that this is not an ideal set -up.

Quick Reply: Comptech SC VS Vortech SC