S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My top just ripped itself

Old 10-01-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My top just ripped itself

I was lowering my top after coming out of the movies and when it was almost down it hung for just a second and then I heard my latches coming undone and the top finished lowering. I thought I must have not latched them back down before lowering the car and so I wasn't worried.

B U T when I raised the top again I had 2 large holes where the latches had caught on the top. I tried it 3 times, after all it was already ripped, until I could find what it was hanging on. It turns out my middle bar wasn't moving out of the way as it should.

Is this a known issue?

What are the odds this will be a warranty repair? After all it was a top mechanism malfunction.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is under warranty then I am sure it will be repaired free. If its out of warranty then you out of luck unless Honda is feel generous.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:58 PM

I am out of the factory warranty but under the Hondacare extended warranty.

If it were a worn out top I wouldn't even consider that it would be covered but this was clearly a mechanical malfunction, the top was in almost perfect condition.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:02 PM

The middle bar probably doesn't go down the way it's supposed to because the straps on your top are wore out. I think MODIFRY on this site has the straps that will make the top go down right.

Good luck getting Honda to fix it.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Just got word from one of the listers who is a Honda salesman that HondaCare should cover it.

Now, what straps are you referring to? I don't see any straps and there was definitely nothing on the top worn out or even down prior to the incident. All I see is what I would call a cover that runs full width and covers the whole middle bar.

The bar stayed in a fully deployed position and didn't fold back as it should have.

EDIT: OK I went back out and relooked at the top and I did see 2 small stretchy straps connecting the outer edge of the bar and sewn into the top itself. Are these the ones you were referring to?

I don't see how you would replace them and how could you tell if they were worn out? If my top has this prob them everyone needs to go check theirs because my top was dang near perfect and looked new. I had no warning whatsoever and since it only takes one time to rip big holes in your top it isn't a maintenance item you can afford to let slide.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 PM

Something about "secret" warranty Honda offers.

Call Honda and put up a fight. There should also be a thread about some of the members getting their top replaced at full or fraction of the cost.

Hope it goes well..

Jeff
Old 10-01-2005, 11:26 PM

yea, I just manualy pull the bar back while the top is going down. I ased Honda to look at it cause it was under warranty and they said everything was ok, yea whatever.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:35 PM

Honda just replaced my top under warranty due to the failed elastic straps. Word is they only last a few years, and I park in a garage.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Modifry has a fix for this.

Actually when I talked to Bob@modifry.com he hadn't heard of it tearing any tops. His site talks about the weak straps just not allowing the top to lay down as flat. If you think your top is sticking up a little higher than when you got it you're probably right.

He has 2 wider straps that should last longer. Once I get my new top I'll give it a little while and then replace the stock straps with his so this doesn't happen again.

HondaCare came out and said they'd warranty it but warned me that because I had a CAI they weren't going to cover any engine damage in the future. That's a crock but it means I can count on a fight if something does go wrong with the car. I got the 7 year 100,000 mi warranty.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM

Ohh, I forgot to tell you that the popping noise was the latches catching, and tearing the top, but it broke the passenger side latch. It hangs down now when the top is raising or lowering, it won't stay up out of the way.

Quick Reply: My top just ripped itself