S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM EMS Woes, Round #3...

Old 04-18-2002, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS Woes, Round #3...

Last night the car went to be tuned by an AEM recommended EMS knowledgable tuner. The guy was able to get the car up and running within an hour - after we've spent 16 hours trying to do so. The guy appearantly knew every problem and issue and had no trouble getting the car running. The first baseline dyno run produced 190 horsepower. After 11 runs, they got the car up to 270 HP. Although a 80 HP increase sounds great, that's 30+ HP lower than my car had when I dropped it off. My previous dyno's were 293 HP w/ no fuel management and 305 HP with V-AFC. Right now there is no speculation as to where the 30 HP went. We obviously expected to make 30 HP, not lose it (so, technically 60 HP is missing). AEM is being contacted, we will once again see what they have to say. I'm very close to giving up...I'm losing faith.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:40 AM

Damn Wes, I wish you only the best of luck man.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Dont give up Wes. the power is there. It took me a while to get my system running right and I am only running N/A, less complicated than yours. Patience is a virtue and you will get there. I know it.

Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 09:17 AM

Although I've been lurking for a couple weeks, know that I'm still following your progress and hoping for the best Wes. Keep your fingers crossed and have the patience to see it through! I'm waiting for the day you are gonna drive to tampa to hand me my ass. :]

cd
Old 04-18-2002, 09:21 AM

Wes, if you ever decide to drive to Tampa, I am just a couple hours away
Old 04-18-2002, 10:05 AM

damn...190. Mind explaining why you might've got such low RWHP? running lean?

Did you also find out if there was a specific EMS for FI'd cars?
Old 04-18-2002, 11:03 AM

ouch. Sorry, Wes. A few local guys are using them on boosted tegs and they love it. I hope they can sort out all the problems soon.

Ryan
Old 04-18-2002, 04:24 PM

Wes, my hat is off to you. I am about to go down the same path (same city too ) I hope things turn out for the better. NOTHING ever works on the first try.......why, I have no idea
Old 04-18-2002, 04:38 PM

Wes,

Our engineers talked to Marcella and Lawrence numerous times about your car. No matter what horsepower your S2000previously made, we will certainly match it and most likely beat it. The EMS will never be your horsepower's limiting factor. Horsepower will be limited by the programmer and mechanics ie. turbine efficiency, compression, injector size, engine strength, etc.

AEM is absolutely confident that you can improve your EMS,s calibration and make much more power. Marcella and Lawrence informed us that they were forced to use an EGT reading for tuning because the dyno facility's wideband 02 sensor was inoperative. EGT feedback is handy for certain tuning aspects but very limited because of many different variables; thermocouple response and range, placement, etc.

Apparently M and L were asked to leave the shop before they had a chance to do any logs and finish fine tuning which is essential for maximum power on your setup. We were also told that that more than 30 hp was lost due to heat soak from not having time to allow the car to cool.

We are absolutely confident that our EMS will out perform your V-AFC system, however it is essential to do back to back dyno pulls with each system under the same environment.

Provided you dyno the car using using a wideband 02 sensor and do the back to backs, AEM will pay for the entire dyno cost to complete the fine tuning. We request that you let us know when and where this will be done so that we can have a technician available at our 800 number to troubleshoot any unforeseen problems.

If the EMS doesn't perform adequately you can return the system for full credit.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:33 PM

any chance you guys could offer the EMS (eventually) with a fully ready to go base map/settings for the S2000 instead of having to go through the kind of expenses our pioneering members are going through?

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Woes, Round #3...