Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Why no Japan/Japanese Community on this board?

Old 05-13-2002, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no Japan/Japanese Community on this board?

Back at the beginning of the year, an S2000 owner from Japan visited the San Francisco Bay Area and there was a request for local S2000 owners to meet her (see thread here). That got me thinking: Why isn't there a Japan/Japanese regional/national community forum? Also does anyone know how many "real Japanese" S2000 owners are on this board? By "real Japanese" I don't mean American/European/Australian living/working in Japan.

I am sure there are Japanese web sites that are the equivalent to this board, is there any kind of cooperation between S2ki and these Japanese boards? Are there any references/pointers to the Japanese boards from here?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with running non-english versions is that we wouldn't know what the hell people are talking about. We've never have a request for a Japanese couterpart to the English version. I presume there are sites in Japan similar to this on but I would have no idea where to look nor would I know what I'm looking at.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:47 PM

Cthree, I don't mean to add a Japanese language community forum. I mean a forum focused on S2000 owners from Japan, by and for the Japanese people -- similar to the UK S2000 forum for owners/enthusiasts from the United Kingdom.

The reason I ask is that from the one visit to the Bay Area, we know there are many English speaking Japanese who are also S2000 owners. So why shouldn't there be a forum for them as well (all in English, of course)? We can learn from each other.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:42 AM

If I were a Japanese S2000 owner, I would most likely participate in online forums operated in Japanese rather than "Engrish". While I agree that it would be cool to have a Japanese Regional forum on S2ki, there probably has not been any demand for it. Otherwise Cthree would have added it already. It is too bad that we dont get the interaction with our Japanese counterparts, but I suppose if we were to all learn Japanese we'd be able to do so more often.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by yu888
It is too bad that we dont get the interaction with our Japanese counterparts, but I suppose if we were to all learn Japanese we'd be able to do so more often.
Exactly. Maybe some of the people on this board who can read/write Japanese can "infiltrate" the Japanese S2000 sites and try to steer them to this board -- we have to do some advertising or publicity to create a demand for a Japanese forum. Alternatively, it would not be bad to set up some kind of "sister" Japanese S2000 site from here (i.e., we have links to the select Japanese S2000 sites, and in return, they put links to this site, not unlike our arrangement with our sponsors). I just think we are missing out on a lot of cross interaction with the Japanese owners. Right now, I don't even know what Japanese S2000 sites are (except for the "R E D - V I P E R" site).
Old 05-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we do own s2ki.jp

Just never done anything with it.

It really would require a japanese site, which would cost lots of money to localize this site. I don't think many japanese owners are going to want to come here and have to type english.

-K