UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Ricky - Towcester Breakfast Run

Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Ricky - Towcester Breakfast Run

This is a regular driving meet from Rickmansworth to Towcester, usually on the last Sunday/Bank Holiday Monday of each month. The route is a lovely drive with fast A-roads, although I try to make sure that the pace is dependant on the slowest driver, and we do wait to let folk catch up if necessary. We also stick to the 30 and 40 limits through the villages.

To have some clear roads, we leave early in the morning (7am) from Christ Church Chorleywood Car Park, please arrive before 7am so we can set off promptly. Google Map of Christ Church

It's on the A404 about 1/2 mile from J18 of the M25. The postcode is WD3 5SG. At junction 18, take the A404 exit to Chorleywood/Amersham, past the Shell garage on your right, then past The Gate pub, also on your right. The church is opposite the pub and the entrance to the car park is a sharp left at the end of the churchyard wall.

We then drive to Jack's Hill Transport Cafe in Towcester (NN12 8ET) Google Map of Jacks Hill

via the A404, A413 with a detour past Chequers to wake Gordon with the glorious sound of vtec in the morning, A43 and A5.

We then eat a hearty breakfast and drive back again.

TomTom: I now have a TomTom file of the route available, so PM me your email address if you'd like a copy (established members only).

Weather: If the weather is forecast to be bad, I'll cancel the run by 4pm on the day before. Please check before travelling.

Assistants/Deputies/Helpers required: To my eternal shame, we lost a few folk on the last run, as we had 16 cars, and I can't see from the front if everyone is still in touch, making waiting at the next turning impossible. It would be good if we could have a couple of folk who know the route (or can use a TomTom) to sit mid-convoy and make sure that everyone gets there. Any volunteers?

Simon

List of attendees here:

Definites
lovegroova + Squeak
Gaspode
AE
MQ
EastLondonS2K + Elise mate
Sazzy
s2kunimitsu
conanius
TINTOP
LadyB
Adam K + Tomk
Kawasakivtec
Dembo
Sti Vi

Maybes
jack_ako

Breakfast Only (8.20 or so)
BigJames

Some notes on convoying:
1) I try to keep the pace reasonable, if you feel that it's too fast, please feel under no pressure to keep up. Drive to your limits, not mine, or anyone else's. We will wait at the next turning.

2) Overtaking - getting 5 or more cars (and we've had 10 or so for the last few runs) to overtake can be a tricky business.
Standard convoy etiquette is to remain out once you have overtaken to indicate that the road is clear for the next car to overtake.
2a) If you are the lead car, look well ahead and observe properly. If you can't see where the road goes, or if there is something coming, then get back over immediately.Once you see the following car is well into the manoeuvre, move back over to afford the follower a clear view of the road ahead. Err on the side of caution at all times.
2b) If you are the following car, it's your responsibility to make sure you can overtake safely. If you're unsure, then don't overtake, even if the lead car is out. Do not feel pressured into overtaking to keep up. Chances are that I am stuck behind another vehicle half a mile up the road, so you'll catch up anyway. Err on the side of caution at all times. Remember, We will wait at the next turning.

3) If you are "stuck" behind someone who is going a bit slowly, please keep a safe distance and do not try to push them along. Backing off a bit on the straights and then enjoying the corners is a good way to approach things.

4) Remember to have fun
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you booked the sun?

I'm in.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Me
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM

stick me down as a definite, i'll cancel closer to the time if i need to!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 PM

im down too
Old 02-07-2009, 07:14 AM

I'd like to try and come along, been told that this is 1 of the best drives.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 AM

I'll be there come hell or high water.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistress Quickly,Feb 7 2009, 04:55 PM
I'll be there come hell or high water.
Well, if either of those events occur, the run will be cancelled
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 AM

I'm in, once again I'd like my mate in his Exige S to attend at the back. If that is still ok?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 PM

as long there is no snow im there!

Quick Reply: Ricky - Towcester Breakfast Run