S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Recovered - Untitled

Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the hard dog bar and used Schroth Hybrid IIs and mounting hardware (backing plates, eyebolts, and clip in brackets (i think the b23 rally end ones, HMS knows for sure)) from HMS Motorsport. They are extremely well made and comfortable. I have taitec rails and Recaro Profi SPGs. You don't want to mount the sub belts to the rail or rear lap belt mounts, its dangerous. You need 3 holes for each seat. One for the inside lap belt and 2 for the sub straps. The outside lapbelt uses the stock seatbelt mounting hole. Also, you really need 6 point harnesses (vs 5) as there is no good way to only mount one sub mount as there is a beam running down the length of the car exactly where you need to put the mount.

You need to get the seats mounted to the rails and in place. Then read this:
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competit...nstructions.pdf
about 15 times. Note that the standard HD harness bar is too high to be optimal, unless you ordered one set lower. I am probably going to lower mine and lose the secret compartment.

Then measure, measure, measure and mark. Then drill pilot holes. Tiny ones, because you will probably get it wrong the first time. I did. You will have to test fit the seats a number of times before you commit to drilling.

I made marks on the topside with the seat in and then transposed the position below using the highly scientific blue tape method. You don't want to drill from the top on the drivers side as you may hit a fuel line.

Here are some pics of the harness mount points. Note, these were the correct positions for my seats and rails, and my height (5'11"). Don't just blindly drill where I did assuming it will work out for you.

Lap belt mounts

Passenger side inside lap belt mount. Notice you have to notch the backing plate to avoid flattening a part of the body.

Driver side inside lap belt mount.

Topside view of Passenger lap belt mount.

Sub belt mounts

Passenger sub belt mounts. Ideally you want them 4" apart. this is not possible on either side of the s2000 unless you want to flatten sections of the floorboards. I didn't, so i settled on 5.5" apart.

Top view of passenger sub belt mounts.

Driver side sub belt mounts
drivers right side is right under the fuel lines. BE CAREFUL. I put a vinyl sleeve (slit hose) over the fuel line that was closest to the bolt so it didnt rub.

drivers left side

Make sure to seal the backing plates with silicone to prevent water seepage. Also use high strength thread locker on the sub strap eye bolts and lap belt bolts.

Harnesses attached

At VIR the next weekend.

Hope this helps you and others.

-Matt
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Great quick write up matt.

Do you really trust this "eyebolt" shown below? What is it made out of it looks extremely flimsy to say the least.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Js S2k,Apr 1 2009, 10:47 PM
Great quick write up matt.

Do you really trust this "eyebolt" shown below? What is it made out of it looks extremely flimsy to say the least.

Thanks.

And yes I absolutely do. Schroth pretty much makes the best harnesses out there and this is a schroth eyebolt/bracket specifically made for clip-in harnesses. Its designed to be bent in one direction only and as long as the vector of force is in line with the long dimension of the bracket, I think its very strong. The referenced schroth manual has a section on how to mount these types of brackets and the ways in which they can and cannot be bent. HMS Motorsport knows this hardware very well, and this is what they recommended for this application.

note: these brackets are the "Schroth B23A bracket installation for snap-on use" PIN 01234 -- from the box they came in.

The other thing that would work is the tunnel mounts from Brey-Krause. These are made for Porsches but this would work in a S2000. These cost about 3x as much as the Schroth but permit the factory seat belts to stay in place.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/harness_inst...are_porsche.php
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Are those the dual-density roll pads?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Apr 2 2009, 10:29 AM
Are those the dual-density roll pads?
Yes. From BSCI. They are great. the outers are firm but not like the concrete inner ones.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k,Apr 2 2009, 09:10 AM
Yes. From BSCI. They are great. the outers are firm but not like the concrete inner ones.
I have those as well. Much safer, but from a SFI fire issue it seems that it wouldn't be compliant. Irrelevant in our car really.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ,Apr 2 2009, 10:38 AM
I have those as well. Much safer, but from a SFI fire issue it seems that it wouldn't be compliant. Irrelevant in our car really.
Really . Seems like all of their rollbar padding stuff is SFI rated.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Apr 2 2009, 01:35 PM
Really . Seems like all of their rollbar padding stuff is SFI rated.
the brochure says it doesnt melt or drip or whatever if on fire. the inside stuff is sfi 45.1 compliant.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM

nice write up
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Matt.

Quick Reply: Recovered - Untitled