S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

tuning out knock? please help

Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning out knock? please help

im new to tuning my flashpro and have gotten my a/f in a good area but am still a little confused as to what i should be looking for when tuning out knock. on my datalogs there are a knock retard degree and a knock level percent, im confuse as to which one is the key to tuning this and how to go about it. any advice is greatly appreciated. on my pulls its showing 1 to 2 degree knock retard at full throttle but 60-70 knock level percent. that doesnt sound too good to me but i dont know what exactly im looking for. please let me know what you guys think, thank you
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Ignore the knock retard and knock %. The only thing to look at is the knock count.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=745922
Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=dstevens,Nov 27 2009, 10:09 AM] Ignore the knock retard and knock %.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 AM

The only thing you want to worry about is knock count and where it is being seen.

If you read anything that Hondata posted in the link above, he mentions that the ecu will apply knock retard throughout the rpm range if it sees knock at an earlier portion of the pull.

So really you want to look and see where you are accumulating any knock count and try retarding the timing in that portion of the map to eliminate any knock.

But this can also be counter productive as the knock sensor can pick up vibrations and other noise and record it as false knock. So if you are pulling out a ton of timing and the knock count still is not going away, it is more than likely an issue else where in the car (exhaust rattle, etc).

I generally will just disable the knock sensor when tuning a vehicle. You can see the differences in the tq curve by adding/subtracting timing through out the rev range. Combine this with reading the plugs and you can get away without even running the knock sensor, which definitely simplifies things.

But I definitely don't recommend this unless you have access to a dyno and have someone that knows how to read plugs on hand.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 93turbo16,Nov 27 2009, 10:37 AM
The only thing you want to worry about is knock count and where it is being seen.

If you read anything that Hondata posted in the link above, he mentions that the ecu will apply knock retard throughout the rpm range if it sees knock at an earlier portion of the pull.

So really you want to look and see where you are accumulating any knock count and try retarding the timing in that portion of the map to eliminate any knock.

But this can also be counter productive as the knock sensor can pick up vibrations and other noise and record it as false knock. So if you are pulling out a ton of timing and the knock count still is not going away, it is more than likely an issue else where in the car (exhaust rattle, etc).

I generally will just disable the knock sensor when tuning a vehicle. You can see the differences in the tq curve by adding/subtracting timing through out the rev range. Combine this with reading the plugs and you can get away without even running the knock sensor, which definitely simplifies things.

But I definitely don't recommend this unless you have access to a dyno and have someone that knows how to read plugs on hand.
That's a wrong way of doing it. Just because you add timing and it increases power doesn't mean its safe. Remember, most of these guys want reliability. NEVER DISABLE THE KNOCK SENSOR UNLESS YOU DONT HAVE ONE (WHICH I DON'T RECOMMEND)

You don't know if its Ghost knock unless you are experienced enough to know the difference
Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by EliteTuning,Nov 27 2009, 10:57 AM
That's a wrong way of doing it. Just because you add timing and it increases power doesn't mean its safe. Remember, most of these guys want reliability. NEVER DISABLE THE KNOCK SENSOR UNLESS YOU DONT HAVE ONE (WHICH I DON'T RECOMMEND)

You don't know if its Ghost knock unless you are experienced enough to know the difference
Hi. I did not say increase timing until you stop making power. I said you can add or subtract timing and see how it changes the torque curve. THEN you can read the plugs and see how they look. If you don't have a clue what I am talking about, then obviously you shouldn't do it, as I stated in the last sentence of the post.

The only reason to disable the knock sensor on cars like a stockish S2000 is if you are picking up phantom knock, and you will figure out what is phantom knock and what isn't when you are on the dyno. So to help simplify the tuning process it is common to disable the knock sensor to keep things consistent from pull to pull.

So to recap..

If you are just now picking up a Flash Pro from Hondata and this is the first car you are tuning yourself, then don't turn the knock sensor off. Just take a look at the knock count in the region where you are picking up the knock from and retard timing a degree or two(assuming your a/f is acceptable). As long as you don't have any phantom knock from exhaust, mounts, etc you will be able to minimize the knock count (close to zero) throughout the entire RPM range.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't recommend disabling the knock sensor period. It does you no good. I can tell phantom knock vs real knock by looking at a datalog and asking the driver some particular questions
Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by EliteTuning,Nov 27 2009, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't recommend disabling the knock sensor period. It does you no good. I can tell phantom knock vs real knock by looking at a datalog and asking the driver some particular questions
Ok. So let me get this straight.

Even if you get phantom knock you don't turn the knock sensor off?

So by leaving the knock sensor on you are letting the ecu retard timing even though there are not any "real" knock counts?

Because in both K-manager and Flash Pro there is not a user accessible knock filtering table to filter out any un-wanted knock counts.

I promise you the easiest solution is to disable the knock sensor and tune the ignition timing accordingly. It is a far better way of trying to tune around phantom knock, without having a knock filtering table to adjust what you want to keep out.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:15 PM

how do you see the knock count?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 08s2000CRbackinblack,Nov 27 2009, 02:15 PM
how do you see the knock count?
If you open up the sensors tab and scroll down, there should be a knock count item listed there.

You can also add it to your display screen by Right clicking -> add value.

Then right click on the box -> Sensor -> Knock count.

Quick Reply: tuning out knock? please help