S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

I think my motor is blown

Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think my motor is blown

Problems started yesterday as I was leaving the self serve car wash. A lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I figured maybe I got to much water in the tail pipe while washing it because I concentrate on that area due to exhaust buildup on the bumper. I get on the highway, was still able to boost fine. I drove it hard for a while & finally the smoking stopped.

So today I top off with oil, was a little low. Go for a drive & the smoking starts again. But it doesnt stop, it usually becomes noticeable when I start to slow down. It seemed a little harder to hit 12psi, but it was still pulling hard. Now the car is misfiring, lots of popping in the exhaust, only when cruising.

I get home and check the oil, stick is almost bone dry! I do a compression test
staring at front of the motor here are the numbers
190, 210, 183, 210

Also the spark plugs that were in the low compression cylinders are coated with oil. Heres a pic

Im waiting for everything to cool down before i take the down pipe off to look for oil. But im guessing its motor related which sucks.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the downpipe and hot side of the turbo for oil first. also check for shaft play - oil starved turbos don't function well.

probably not a blown head gasket but check the coolant anyway.

i'll think more and get back to you.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deception,Mar 7 2010, 10:13 AM
Problems started yesterday as I was leaving the self serve car wash. A lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I figured maybe I got to much water in the tail pipe while washing it because I concentrate on that area due to exhaust buildup on the bumper. I get on the highway, was still able to boost fine. I drove it hard for a while & finally the smoking stopped.

So today I top off with oil, was a little low. Go for a drive & the smoking starts again. But it doesnt stop, it usually becomes noticeable when I start to slow down. It seemed a little harder to hit 12psi, but it was still pulling hard. Now the car is misfiring, lots of popping in the exhaust, only when cruising.

I get home and check the oil, stick is almost bone dry! I do a compression test
staring at front of the motor here are the numbers
190, 210, 183, 210

Also the spark plugs that were in the low compression cylinders are coated with oil. Heres a pic

Im waiting for everything to cool down before i take the down pipe off to look for oil. But im guessing its motor related which sucks.

Any suggestions?
Pretty sure your engine is dunzo. I' m sorry to say but it sounds a lot like my car last spring. What it turned out to be was cooked valves, cyl #4 was rubbing against the block and needed to be resleeved. I recommend getting it rebuilt thru these guys. Doesn't get any cheaper than this unless you can do it yourself. 3550 shipped.

F20c Rebuild
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on that link. they will build my motor when i am ready for it
Old 03-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Im gonna baby it down to my friends shop tonight & we will take a look at everything suggested. Will post up the results.

I wish I could throw in a built block, but I dont have that kind of money right now.
Will most likely be getting a low miles F20c from reputable guy on here.
Do a 3mm headgasket, tap the girdle, double check the tune etc.
That way I can sell off my old motor and make some money back.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM

hmmmm kev that sucks! but it's not fun if you don't blow anything up, right? i'm on motor numero 2 already lol
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by m R g S r,Mar 8 2010, 07:01 PM
hmmmm kev that sucks! but it's not fun if you don't blow anything up, right? i'm on motor numero 2 already lol
Did you do stock, 3mm HG or build yours?
Build is outta my price range, just trying to decide if I lower the boost to 9psi on stock, or do 3mm HG an 16psi on this low miles used motor I wanna get
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM

From a learning prospective what do you think contibuted to your motor blowing. Was it too much psi on stock HG, bad tune. I can't rememeber your set up any info to help the rest would be great to know. Set up HP PSI kit ect
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Revenge,Mar 8 2010, 08:14 PM
From a learning prospective what do you think contibuted to your motor blowing. Was it too much psi on stock HG, bad tune. I can't rememeber your set up any info to help the rest would be great to know. Set up HP PSI kit ect
Revhard mani, pte 5857 billet, rc 750cc, aem 1052U, originally tuned at 7psi, then bumped to 12.5/13psi

Here are the things that have gone wrong that I can think of

-A few months ago I developed a bad boost leak, fixed that

-Had the tune touched up last week, a little leaner in cruising, under boost still conservative. VTEC was raised to 6500 rpms to smooth out the curve.
The shops that have tuned my car are both reputable, not saying the tunes couldnt have something to do with it though.

-The check valve from my TCT ended up in my oil recently, I put that back together. Oil pressure seemed to get more stable.

-sometimes when i would go into vtec the oil pressure would jump up & down, like 40psi range.

-I did have 2 instances where I lost nearly all my oil while driving.. lines blowing off from the relocator, I upgraded to SS braided lines after that.

-compression before I went FI was 240 in each cylinder, a few months ago it was down to 230, 200, 230, 195.. but the car felt fine so i didnt pay it much mind. I figured maybe the weather change had something to do with it. Guess not.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM

From reading a ton of stuff on this forum, most people don't do 13 psi without meth or race gas e85. However more and more people have been moving this number up.

Having the problems with the oil pressure and relocation kit with a fairly aggressive tune may have been it?

I would consider using a ILP 3mm HG and increasing your boost that way if your gonna keep the log.

Good luck with the new motor