Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

About to Join the Club, worth it?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to Join the Club, worth it?

Hello everyone,

A little back story to my journey, I just sold my Twin Turbo AWD Stealth before moving from Ohio to Colorado. Ever since I was a child I have been wanting an s2k but never could find a good deal on one in my area. After selling the Stealth and moving I began my journey to find one. I new I would be looking at AP1 price ranges. My main goal for the car is to refresh it a bit and go KraftWerks SC in a few months, I would love to be back in the 400hp range since I am missing it. I currently have an 2004 A4 Quattro with a Gt28rs on it but it is just my daily, also have a 06 SV650s.

The car I am currently looking at has 150k miles on it, body is straight, one small hail dent on the hood. My main concern is rust on the passenger rear fender, the guy is asking 6k for the car so I am willing to look past it but I need to get it fixed ASAP. How much would a shop normally charge to repair this? I will include pictures of the car and rust.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't think that is a bad price as long as you know what you are getting into. Purists would frown on some of the mods done to this one but it sounds like you are going to modify it anyway so no big deal. I would be worried about the rust spot and it has obviously been a daily given the mileage and condition. I am sure the undercarriage shows it as well. It all comes down to what is acceptable to you in terms of what you pay and what you expect to put into it to bring it up to scratch. I would honestly ask the guy if it is ok to have the car inspected by a body shop and mechanic prior to purchase so you can get a better assessment. It is better to know now than later. You may have to pay a few dollars for inspection but it would give you the information you need to make an informed decision.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am purchasing this with the mindset of it sitting in my garage for awhile while I get it back to where I want it, I have other toys to keep me occupied haha. I considering I see people selling these with blown engines/transmissions for around this price I don't mind taking on a bit of work. I am comfortable with everything minus the body work but I am thinking if I am saving some money on the initial price I won't mind investing some money into a nice body shop doing some work!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

This is true. You have a lot of wiggle room at that price. I still encourage an inspection by a mechanic and a quote by a body shop just so you have some peace of mind and knowledge. Better to pay a small amount for an inspection rather than a large sum later for a gotcha. Then you can rehab it at your own pace until you have the car you where want it to be. Don't be hasty even at that price.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Sorry for the typos. I can't edit posts.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

For $6k you could do worse. The mods are far from concerning since they are easily changed. Things I would be concerned about is obviously the rust, the front bumper isn't fitting correctly on the passengers side it is worth checking the headlight for damage as it looks like it tapped something. My other major concern with any AP1 is the health of the motor and condition of the valve train. I would have a compression and leak down done (at the very least compression) and probably a full inspection of the car to look for any other signs of accidents or issues that may be hiding. Its not going to cover everything but there is some things that could make this a terrible deal an any price. The rust makes me wonder if there was body work done to that panel. Check the fender lip it should have visible spot welds. If it is totally smooth there is bondo and it means there was a repair to that panel. Again not the end of the world but it does make something like rolling the fenders difficult or impossible without causing all sorts of issues.

Oh and some of the hoses on the valve cover look weird. And the brake fuild looks ancient (the haven't sold the blue stuff for over a year now I think).
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info! I also noticed that the front bumper wasn't lining up properly so I will ask him about that now. Honestly I am wanting to pull the engine on the car and do a refresh and get things ready for SC. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it needs some attention in there!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:27 PM

Hey guys, it has been awhile but just wanted to give everyone and update on the car!

Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Wait, this is the yellow car all redone or something different? That's quite a summer transformation if so.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:45 PM

This is what my summer project has been, it is the same car in the original post! The vinyl wrap helps a bit

Quick Reply: About to Join the Club, worth it?