Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Another prospective buyer (long)

Old 11-27-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a six hour drive from Ft Worth to austin (damn traffic) and other than my ass hurting from sitting in stop and go traffic it was fine. I wish the seats were more like they were in my Z. You can only adjust back and forth and the seat back not the angle of the seat which I wish you could. I'm only 5'7" and have long legs so even being short my knees are always right at steering wheel level due to the fact that I can't angle the seat down and back.

Also sometimes if I'm the first to a light I as well have to lean to see them. If it gets really windy just role up the windows and you should be fine. I will say that whether its hot or cold the a/c system will get you comfortable reletively quickly. Hell when it was like 40 I was on the freeway with the top down and the windows up and had to turn the heat down because it was getting to warm. This is the only car where everyone has mentioned how hot the heat gets

As far as noise I have an invidia exhaust and aem cai so yes there is a drone but I'm used to loud noises and just forget its there. Granted you will have to yell to have a convo with the top down if you're going highway speeds.

Another thing is that sometimes in the morning if its cold the car doesn't want to go into first for some reason but its very rare that that happens.

With that said I love this car. It is well balanced and has a surprisingly usefull trunk. My Z looked like it could carry more but depending on the shape I can get almost the same amount of stuff in the trunk and pass seat. It is impractical, loud, and not as comfortable as my Z BUT that would never sway me from buying one again. Plus it is a sports car, its not going to be completely comfortable or quiet. Hell if it was I'd feel wierd.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Hey Brian, cool to see you turn up here! I was half thinking of posting again in the Pelican thread about my test drives. I wanted to put the S2000 in a little broader context, so I also drove a new MX-5, and an '05 Evo on top of the 2007 S2000, and the '98 Boxster and '02 S2000 which started this whole downward spiral two weeks ago.

But that's another subject.

Great information on the ABS. Thanks! That's good news. The less often it intervenes, the better. I've never driven S02s before; I'll have to see how I feel about them.

I'm leaning towards the silver car, so it has the tasteful red highlights, and I agree that it feels a little less restrictive. Plus, as any 550 fan will know--mother of all roadsters as it is--silver is the only color for a roadster [ducks]!

There. I've paid tribute to our P-car lineage, so no one over there can call me a heretic!

I've resolved that the R goes outside. In fact, it got a test run last night.

It survived!

I visited dealers the day after Thanksgiving. One was a little weird, the other was fantastic.

BTW, your original post on Pelican was a very helpful clarifier; thank you again!

Lookin4as2k: spot on comment about sports car. They're not meant to be docile. Also, nice note about the heater. I hadn't encountered that before. I like the idea of having the top down even on cooler days, but with the heat on. Great idea.

And thanks for another overall assessment.

My mind was pretty well made up early yesterday. By yesterday afternoon, without even thinking about it, I picked up the phone and called the dealer and said I couldn't make it in that afternoon (true), but that I would either this evening or tomorrow evening.

It's as good as mine.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 PM

It sounds like congrats is in order here . I can only relate long distance driving to about eight hours to North Carolina last march for golfing. Other than gas stops it was straight through. I am 6'0 tall. I had no problems and was ready to keep driving. My father drives his 2000 to florida straight through and says how comfortable it is. He would rather drive it than his benz for comfort. My biggest suggestion is take out your wallet, When mine is in my back pocket it starts to bother me after a couple hours. I have an exhaust and intake and the noise does not bother me or my wife on long trips to the beach, etc..
Old 11-27-2006, 04:48 PM

With concerns to long drives, in my personal experience, it all depeds on who is with you. I dont mind going on long trips by myself or with somone who is relaxed and doesn;t feel the need to talk my ear off as long as I can get out and stretch every few hours. Being as is is very close quarters, if you are riding with somone who just wont shut up, it makes me want to kick them out the door. Noise is not too bad, but i will admit it can get a little bad with the top up. I always drive top down though, so it may be louder with thw wind, but thats what i love about it. Also the whole sunburn thing with the top down can and will happen. My first long trip I took, i burnt myself so bad i had to go get some special loton from the doctor. With concerns to the garage situation, I would reccoment putting the s2000 in there since people have been known to cut the top and steal your seats. Good luck with the dealers though.

-Ian
Old 11-27-2006, 10:19 PM

Ian, good comment about the company in the car. That can make or break a trip. I'm pretty confident in the company I'd choose for long trips in this car though.

The sunburn issue has always weighed on me. I used to drive a lovely 1971 MB 280SL a long time ago, so I'm not unfamiliar with the problems of the top down. I'm super conscious of over-exposure to the sun though after too many years at the beach, and especially since I started shaving my head ten years ago, so I'll be prepared. Hats and sunscreen and long sleeves all the way. Not much different than a typical track day really.

Originally Posted by Jay2000,Nov 27 2006, 03:39 PM
It sounds like congrats is in order here .
They will be when the car arrives in my garage tomorrow night!

(I wrapped up the paperwork this evening. It's a done deal!)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats!

As to braking mentioned above. The inability to activate ABS on hard stops is not a positive sign. It means your tires have more grip than your brakes do. Try changing your fluid and pads. You should have no problem activating ABS on street tires.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, Congrats! I bought my 01 a month and ahalf ago and I LOVE it to death.

I just did a 740 mile trip(one way, Va to Al, 1500 roundtrip) for Thanksgiving. I found the car to be fine for traveling. Could have used a little more leg room, but overall I felt alot better then I thought I would. I am 5"11, and I did not feel too cramped.

Personally, I don't think its that bad as far as road noise and talking. My sister and I could have normal talking conversations the whole trip, But thats just me.

Also, This car at stock form makes trips fun. Its not the fastest car out there, but when you need to get around a truck or something, its got more then enough power to make it fun. I love merging with this car, and freeway interchanges can be fun too(if your not behind a slow person)
Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Nov 28 2006, 11:54 AM
congrats!

As to braking mentioned above. The inability to activate ABS on hard stops is not a positive sign. It means your tires have more grip than your brakes do. Try changing your fluid and pads. You should have no problem activating ABS on street tires.
Pieter, welcome to the fray

I flush & bleed the brakes (Valvoline SynPower) every year, and while at 24K miles am still on the original pads....the car stops very well.
The 944S2 came with 951 (944 turbo) 4-piston Brembos, and while I give the nod to them in terms of ultimate brake feel, the S2000 stops just as well. I expect when the S02's age a bit I'll lose some mechanical grip, but for the time being I'm satisfied that they are working perfectly
Did the MY '00 cars get a more race-like ABS calibration (?), because on the stock pads it brakes as good as some track-only cars I've raced!

Brian
Old 11-28-2006, 09:24 PM

Okay, NOW you may all congratulate me!

I started it at the dealer, and 100 happy miles later, just shut it down in the garage!

Straight from the dealer I drove up to Angeles Forest Highway, which is one of my favorite roads if you know LA, and drove up to Mt. Emma Road, turned around and came back. So sweet. Since I'm a sensible chap, I kept the revs under 5k, never braked hard, and generally was gentle. It was still quite fun.

I'm dying to drive it hard. It wants it. Oh how it wants to go.

Five.

Hundred.

Miles.

To.

Go.

Must.

Restrain.

Right.

Foot.

Thank god I have a weekend at the track coming up (in the 911). I'd die of madness for not getting to drive this thing like it should be driven!

More impressions later.

Cheers everyone!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:42 PM

you need to change your profile to owner now.

peace

Quick Reply: Another prospective buyer (long)