Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Buying 2007 S2K

Old 08-04-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2007 S2K

Hi all - I'm considering purchasing a nice 2007 S2000 w/25k miles. Besides the things that I know to look for, I was wondering if you all could offer me some trouble spots to look for specific to the S2000? It's not one owner and it has supposedly never seen rain and is garage kept. I know every car has its trouble spots over time and I thought I'd reach out for some help. Thanks for any replies! Hopefully I'll buy it and be able to contribute to this forum. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

2006 and newer were prone to having valves set too tight from factory. I checked my 2006 and they were fine after 38k miles but I don't know if they had been corrected before. Really the later years are pretty solid and with that low of miles should be in great shape if never wrecked or and not abused. I know I'm not much help here but I'm sure more experienced folks will chime in. Can you provide more info such as pictures or some insight into the ownership history and usage? Otherwise I would say go for it. If that low of mileage S2000 looks good and drives nice, its probably good to go.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
2006 and newer were prone to having valves set too tight from factory. I checked my 2006 and they were fine after 38k miles but I don't know if they had been corrected before. Really the later years are pretty solid and with that low of miles should be in great shape if never wrecked or and not abused. I know I'm not much help here but I'm sure more experienced folks will chime in. Can you provide more info such as pictures or some insight into the ownership history and usage? Otherwise I would say go for it. If that low of mileage S2000 looks good and drives nice, its probably good to go.
Hey thanks for the reply!! It has a very clean CarFax from the pics I've seen it looks to be genuine and stock. I'm waiting for more pics and scrutinize a little more. It will be babied on my end but I want to make sure I'm buying it right.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If it were an earlier year, there are some week spots such as gear box issues and a weak rear diff that doesn't like being launched. They were also known to consume some oil but these problems were ironed out with the Ap2 starting in 2004. Better diff and transmission and the fc22 doesn't burn oil. At least mine doesn't. I know most cars have their common quirks but these later ones really are good.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Great information, thank you!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

I have a 2006 I bought 3 summers ago with less than 40K miles. Pushing 60K miles now and darned if I can identify any significant "trouble spots." Beware of tight exhaust valves as noted above. An hour worth of work on your part. The roofs are prone to small rips that seem to generate from the inside (mine now wears a small patch). The car is sensitive to tires and seems to do best with Extreme or Max performance summer tires.

Follow the maintenance schedule. Read all the maintenance threads.

You can pick up a surprising amount of mid-range power (and quicker acceleration) with a high flow cat and a Gernby FlashPro tune.

-- Chuck
Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I have a 2006 I bought 3 summers ago with less than 40K miles. Pushing 60K miles now and darned if I can identify any significant "trouble spots." Beware of tight exhaust valves as noted above. An hour worth of work on your part. The roofs are prone to small rips that seem to generate from the inside (mine now wears a small patch). The car is sensitive to tires and seems to do best with Extreme or Max performance summer tires.

Follow the maintenance schedule. Read all the maintenance threads.

You can pick up a surprising amount of mid-range power (and quicker acceleration) with a high flow cat and a Gernby FlashPro tune.

-- Chuck
Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it! I do follow maintenance schedules religiously. I've had 3 Accords and am on my 3rd Acura TL. I was going to get a new Talax but my Tap is immaculate so why not get something cool like a low miles S2000? Im hoping it's as advertised as it will be a lot of fun to drive.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MBC1965
Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it! I do follow maintenance schedules religiously. I've had 3 Accords and am on my 3rd Acura TL. I was going to get a new Talax but my Tap is immaculate so why not get something cool like a low miles S2000? Im hoping it's as advertised as it will be a lot of fun to drive.
Damn autocorrect! I meant TLX and TL in the last sentence.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up a 2006 s2k as well and one of first things I am doing is valve adjustment! Other than that it's pretty solid so far knock on wood!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 PM

Thank you for your feedback! How difficult is it to do the valve adjustment?

Quick Reply: Buying 2007 S2K