Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Buying a Car, Q About Title

Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Car, Q About Title

Hi S2kers,

After going through 2 AP1 S2K's, im thinking about buying an Ap2. I am in Canada, but looking to import from the USA, since it works out a bit cheaper.

However my question is more general, it has to do with the title since vehicle registration in the US is likely different. I already know about the importing related stuff, i just am needing to know more specifics about the title and transferring the title.

The situation is, the person im looking to buy from has a loan on the car, thus the bank holds the title. How is it that i am supposed to (or really anyone, regardless if you are US or Canada based) get the title without paying for the car FAR upfront first. What im getting at is... the owner would have to pay the loan off before he gets the title certificate.... so i would need to pay him the money to pay his bank, or pay the bank loan directly. Then when the bank got him the title certificate (takes up to 10 days) then he can sign over to me. But to me... i see no protection for me in this, how is this normally done?

Any ideas?

Shawn
Old 03-31-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone answer this? it seems like a simple question that anyone who has purchased a car in the USA would have to have come across unless the cars they purchased didnt have loans?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:19 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

On cars that I've had loans on I've always had the title. You just have to make sure the seller pays off the loan so the bank releases the lein they have on it.