Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Delayed 17 years

Old 12-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed 17 years

As a life long Honda fanatic, the S2000 was my dream car when it rolled off the production line. I had to have it, but years would pass before that would become a reality. My wife was pregnant when it came out of production, so a 2 seater was out of the question. I ended up trading my 1994 Civic EX coupe for an Accord as a family car. From there the dream fell by the wayside, because I got busy with family life and my career.

Seventeen years later my daughter got her license and wanted my Toyota Tundra rather than my 2012 Civic Si commuter. A few nights later a pop up add for a 2007 Silverstone with 14,xxx miles came up while I was reading an article one night. It must have been a type-O and was curious after finding out it was at a dealership 8 miles from my house. I dropped by the next morning and couldn't believe how great it looked with only one tiny door ding. I drove to work and couldn't stop thinking about it. I went into the dealership the second day and test drove it. I couldn't believe how mint the car was and ended up driving it home 2 hours later after reading the car fax. There were 2 previous owners, but the story gets better.

After reading the owner's manual I found the previous owners insurance card and decided to pay him a visit since he was local. The 77 year old gentleman garaged the car and was very meticulous with it. He handed me all files he had and told me he never drove it in the rain. He also told me he stumbled on the car from another pop up ad while searching for a Porsche Boxster in 2011. It had 4,xxx miles and it was owned by a business professional that rarely drove it due to business travel. Needless to say I was very lucky, or was it destiny? I'm still awestruck and in disbelief every time I walk into my garage. Good things come to those who wait. UNBELIEVABLE!

Old 12-27-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Congrats on the great find....better late than never! Welcome to the forum.
Levi
The following users liked this post:
DRob (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

A rare color! In '06 and '07 anyway. My '06 looks identical but with a lot more mines now.

Low mileage does not always equal superior maintenance. There's a horror story in the past couple of weeks where an owner burned up the rear differential when the Honda Dealer (or a buddy why "knows the S2000") serviced it with Honda differential oil. The car uses gear oil, not "differential oil" -- it's in your owners manual! A complete change of fluids is always a good idea. When were the hydraulic fluids changed? These are time, not mileage based. This is all easy user maintenance. And you'll feel better doing it yourself. Valve clearance check and adjustment if needed is critical on the Drive By Cars like yours and mine. Simple albeit tedious early morning job. Tools are less than $20.

The Maintenance Minder in the instrument cluster should pick up this in the '07 but I reset it all in my '06 just to keep it straight.

Long weekend is coming. Plan to spend part of it in the maintenance section (here).

You're gonna love the car!

-- Chuck
DRob (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Goes well with the house. Enjoy.
DRob (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Good story. I always enjoy the story behind the car....
enjoy!
DRob (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
A rare color! In '06 and '07 anyway. My '06 looks identical but with a lot more mines now.

Low mileage does not always equal superior maintenance. There's a horror story in the past couple of weeks where an owner burned up the rear differential when the Honda Dealer (or a buddy why "knows the S2000") serviced it with Honda differential oil. The car uses gear oil, not "differential oil" -- it's in your owners manual! A complete change of fluids is always a good idea. When were the hydraulic fluids changed? These are time, not mileage based. This is all easy user maintenance. And you'll feel better doing it yourself. Valve clearance check and adjustment if needed is critical on the Drive By Cars like yours and mine. Simple albeit tedious early morning job. Tools are less than $20.

The Maintenance Minder in the instrument cluster should pick up this in the '07 but I reset it all in my '06 just to keep it straight.

Long weekend is coming. Plan to spend part of it in the maintenance section (here).

You're gonna love the car!

-- Chuck
Actually the dealership took care of that before I bought it. Also got 3/36k warranty on top of it. I went through the records the previous owner had and he was pretty meticulous about flushes as well. He had 2 performed while he owned it. Even got a receipt for curb rash removal. Getting clear bra put on Monday and Oem Ap2 front lip is next.

Last edited by DRob; 12-27-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Very nice find, you will enjoy it!
DRob (12-27-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DRob
Getting clear bra put on Monday and Oem Ap2 front lip is next.
Wise move. I regret not having some sort of paint protection film installed early on, before my front end got riddled with rock chips. Sounds like you will be this car's third meticulous owner. Congrats and welcome!
DRob (12-29-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the kind words. It definitely is a driver's car. I'm a little paranoid at getting the first blemish on it though since I'm going to make it my daily driver. Already thinking about a hardtop after the clear bra and front lip. Summer can't come soon enough either.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick Reply: Delayed 17 years