Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Greetings! Future S2k Owner!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Greetings! Future S2k Owner!

Hello everyone, I recently got into an auto accident with my EM1 and I think it's time for an upgrade and the next vehicle I've been really wanting to get into modding is a S2000. I am currently in the market searching for a GPW S2000. Still not too sure if I want to settle for an AP1 or an AP2 since I do not know a whole lot of information on how to properly mod a S2000. However, I do hope to gain a lot of knowledge about them in this forum. I plan to become an active member here as well and thank you for dropping by my post.

Thought I'd share a couple pictures of my beloved EBP EM1. Also, if you have time, you should check out em1crew.com. The forum is very user and content friendly.

RIP Electra...

Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow clean EM1! Hello and welcome to the Forums!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Hello guys, and thanks for the warm welcome. Like I said, I'm still new to the s2k scene so still a lot to learn. What do you guys suggest I should get? Ap1 or Ap2? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ebpemone
Hello guys, and thanks for the warm welcome. Like I said, I'm still new to the s2k scene so still a lot to learn. What do you guys suggest I should get? Ap1 or Ap2? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ebpemone
It's is going to boil down to your preference. There a minor cosmetic changes to AP2 models. AP1's rev until 9K. If you decide to go AP1 I recommend finding a model with glass in the soft top. I think 02-03 models had glass in the soft top models before that they had plastic rear windows. Honestly your best bet is to test drive both and see what you like best and fits your budget. Keep reading all the info is here
Old 08-07-2015, 10:44 PM

^Thank you for the clarification. I am not too sure by what you mean by glass top, however I'll do some google search on that. I'm contemplating on what to get because Ap1 has that 9k red line but I like the front end of an Ap2 better than an Ap1. I've also heard it's a direct replacement as well if you want to change bumpers. But any thorough clarification on that would be much appreciated too.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Glass rear window rather than plastic in the roof.

AP2 gets stuff like bigger wheels and tires and when you move to 2006 and later you get traction and stability control, etc. Street handling improved literally every two years.

Few folks I know want to buy a modified car or pay extra for it, they want to do this themselves. Buggering an AP1 with a AP2 front bumper will decrease resale value and you WILL eventually sell the car if you don't wreck it first. The AP1 is more likely to swap ends when you're not suspecting it than an AP2. Likewise anything considered "ricer" will only appeal to a small market. The stock OEM cars seem to sell for premium prices.

Both the AP1 and AP2 engines are rated at the same peak horsepower, just at different RPMs. 9000 rpm? 8000 rpm? The 9000 rpm guys feel pretty smug about it but there's not any real data on which is "better." You don't get a choice of engines, just whatever came in your mode year anyway. There were more AP1s sold in North America than AP2s but they're also older and have more miles and warts on them. Even the '08s are 7 years old.

These cars have been inexpertly tuned and modified for years. Do you really know how to set up "coil overs?" For a specific race track with a dozen or two known corners and lines they can have an advantage. We don't get those known corners 50 times in an afternoon on country roads. The wrong setup is often worst than stock. Tires are more important anyway. All season radials are fine for commuting but the Miatas with good tires will out corner you every day!

-- Chuck
Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plastic

Glass

Chuck S explained it in further detail between the changes for the different year models.

I have to agree with him in converting the AP1 bumper to AP2 by not being worth it but to each his own. To further generalize the difference in feel between the AP1 and AP2. AP1 owners state the car feels very RAW in terms of performance and handling. The AP2 models are further refined and have a balanced feel. Keep researching and when you get closer to deciding choose a color . Just curious but which color do you prefer so far?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Where are you from? I have an 03 GPW that i am considering on selling.

Quick Reply: Greetings! Future S2k Owner!