Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hi everybody. I need advices

Old 05-28-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everybody. I need advices

Hi,
I'm Alessio from Italy but you can call me Alex. I'm a future S2K owner. In fact I need some advices about two S2K I'm looking at the moment. Here's the links: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...at_cars&page=4
and
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=n10aa&page=3

The first car had 4 owners. The first owner owned the car until 2014 and basically the other 3 held the car for just one year each. The second car announce shows a picture of the engine bay and as you might see the valve cover lost almost the half of the red paint. What does it mean?Is a sign of something got wrong with the engine or sometimes it happens?
Which car would you buy?
P.S.: I read all the recommendation thread for the S2K purchase so anyway I will inspect the car carefully before buying it. The only problem is that I have no experience with S2K so if there could be a significant noise I wouldn't notice.
Thanks everybody. This is the best forum so far.
Alex
Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

The second example just looks like someone has not paid good attention to keeping the engine bay clean. The crinkle paint on the cam cover is pretty tough stuff but perhaps a strong solvent, scouring pad or salt air had its way with the finish. The car appears to be in pretty good shape otherwise but it is always worth paying a local mechanic to inspect it, especially at that amount of quid. Seems a little high for the mileage but just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
alessios2k (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Is there some discoloration on the seat of the first car listed? Or is that just the picture?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Is there some discoloration on the seat of the first car listed? Or is that just the picture?
No I think is just the picture
Old 05-28-2018, 02:25 PM

Thank you for your observation. I contacted the owner and he said that the care has always been cared well, not abused at all. But that corrosion is not something I call normal. The price is a little above the right one, I will negotiate that. If I'll buy it I would look for an Honda dealer or a mechanic for controlling it. Thanks for this advice.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

The second one appears to also have some rusted bolts under the hood, this is not normal either. Perhaps the car is near an ocean which would explain these things? There is also missing VIN stickers on the front and rear bumper covers and the trunk, couple things to ask about. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
alessios2k (05-28-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Lack of all 10 VIN stickers indicatea a repaint at the least, panel replacement from damage more likely. Cars both need an under-body inspection.

At least there's no dilemma regarding color or model year.

Will you be keeping the car in the UK? Steering wheels are on the wrong side of the road for Italy (I've no clue about inspection/registration).

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Lack of all 10 VIN stickers indicatea a repaint at the least, panel replacement from damage more likely. Cars both need an under-body inspection.

At least there's no dilemma regarding color or model year.

Will you be keeping the car in the UK? Steering wheels are on the wrong side of the road for Italy (I've no clue about inspection/registration).

-- Chuck
I made a Carfax and there are no recordings of incidents or repainting. No problem for the importation in Italy, there are many cars with the steering wheel on the right of the car, it’s a matter of habitude.
Anyway both cars give me some concerns, the owners of the second car told me there is also a repair on the roof, it was made by the antecedent owner and in three years it has not broken. I don’t know..no one of those cars convince me totally. Maybe I’ll wait for another occasion.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

The roof is cloth and wear and eventual replacement is common and expected. Even my "immaculately" maintained '06 has a patch on the roof. Causes me no embarrassment.

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Out of those 2 I would likely go with the first one. Number of indicators that it has been better cared for even with the higher miles. The engine bay is clean, headflight and taillights are fogging over, both sets of keys keys, tonneau cover. I would still have it inspected for damage since I don't see the vin stickers but the car just looks more well cared for overall than the second car.

Quick Reply: Hi everybody. I need advices