Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Joining from the DC metro area!

Old 02-28-2023, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Joining from the DC metro area!

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently purchased an 07 Berlina Black S2000 with 35k mi on the odometer! Excellent condition from top to bottom and I couldn’t be happier!

Im looking forward to learning everything about this platform and if anyone can point me to the best DC/NoVA specific groups, I’d be greatly appreciative!

First picture after pickup!

Attempt at a cool pic with my Type-R!

Old 02-28-2023, 05:50 PM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

Nice car and welcome. I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you're interested in competitive driving, be it autocross, HPDE, time trials, etc. check out the WDCR SCCA page (https://www.wdcr-scca.org/). I can only really speak to the autocross group and have enjoyed being a part of it for the last 7 or so years. People are very welcoming and the novice program is great. Sadly, not many S2ks out there anymore. I was probably the last man standing and mine isn't going to be competing this year as I'll be co-driving a different car. I'll be doing a few HPDEs in the S hopefully and maybe Time Trials if I can fit it in.

Last edited by Jub; 02-28-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mik_s2k (03-04-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
Nice car and welcome. I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you're interested in competitive driving, be it autocross, HPDE, time trials, etc. check out the WDCR SCCA page (https://www.wdcr-scca.org/). I can only really speak to the autocross group and have enjoyed being a part of it for the last 7 or so years. People are very welcoming and the novice program is great. Sadly, not many S2ks out there anymore. I was probably the last man standing and mine isn't going to be competing this year as I'll be co-driving a different car. I'll be doing a few HPDEs in the S hopefully and maybe Time Trials if I can fit it in.
Hi Jub!

I’m definitely interested in HPDE with my Civic this year. The main goal for having a second car was so I could put the Civic on track and not risk losing my daily. Autocross on the other hand is a definite interest - I am still learning how to “drive” the S2000, it’s my first RWD vehicle, and finding its limits in a safe environment is high on my list!
Old 02-28-2023, 08:02 PM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

Cool, I haven't gotten my roll bar installed yet but that's the plan for this year. If you're not aware, it's pretty much a requirement around here to get on track. There are a few places that you may be able to slip in a Track Night in America in the S without one. I did it at Pitt Race but to run Summit and I think VIR, you need a rollbar. I'm focusing most of my time to Autocross again this year but am moving my car towards time trials. I've only competed in the S2000 to this point aside from a few co-drives so I'm very familiar with the S at the limit < 65 mph. I'll have some things to learn when doing more track days and going through corners at higher speeds. I'm sure you'll enjoy the S in any performance driving you choose to do in it. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up switching the roles of the S and the Civic. Even in stock form, it's a very fun car to drive.

If you see a Laguna Blue AP2 with an OEM lip, hardtop and basic bolt-ons, it's probably me. Stop by and say hi.
The following users liked this post:
mik_s2k (03-04-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Hi @mik_s2k .. Assuming your 2007 has decent tires you shouldn't find any surprises in how it handles. The S2000 was designed to have wife-terrifying cornering but the quick "snap" oversteer of the very early cars was continually tuned out with changes every two years (even numbered years) and the 2006-2007 got Stability Assist which you should keep active (defaults to active) until you're in a place where it's safe to play but even with it Off you have to be really trying to be stupid enough for the car to do anything you can't easily handle. Large rain-wet parking lot is place to start. Just be sure it's big enough.

The S2000 handles best with matched pattern Extreme Performance Summer tires. Max seems more than adequate though. I've been thru 2 sets of Extreme and my current Max seem just as good for the back roads here.

-- Chuck
Old 03-04-2023, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
Cool, I haven't gotten my roll bar installed yet but that's the plan for this year. If you're not aware, it's pretty much a requirement around here to get on track. There are a few places that you may be able to slip in a Track Night in America in the S without one. I did it at Pitt Race but to run Summit and I think VIR, you need a rollbar. I'm focusing most of my time to Autocross again this year but am moving my car towards time trials. I've only competed in the S2000 to this point aside from a few co-drives so I'm very familiar with the S at the limit < 65 mph. I'll have some things to learn when doing more track days and going through corners at higher speeds. I'm sure you'll enjoy the S in any performance driving you choose to do in it. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up switching the roles of the S and the Civic. Even in stock form, it's a very fun car to drive.

If you see a Laguna Blue AP2 with an OEM lip, hardtop and basic bolt-ons, it's probably me. Stop by and say hi.
Definitely will do!
Old 03-04-2023, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Hi @mik_s2k .. Assuming your 2007 has decent tires you shouldn't find any surprises in how it handles. The S2000 was designed to have wife-terrifying cornering but the quick "snap" oversteer of the very early cars was continually tuned out with changes every two years (even numbered years) and the 2006-2007 got Stability Assist which you should keep active (defaults to active) until you're in a place where it's safe to play but even with it Off you have to be really trying to be stupid enough for the car to do anything you can't easily handle. Large rain-wet parking lot is place to start. Just be sure it's big enough.

The S2000 handles best with matched pattern Extreme Performance Summer tires. Max seems more than adequate though. I've been thru 2 sets of Extreme and my current Max seem just as good for the back roads here.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck, so for tires I’m in between Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 which is an all season high performance tire or like Pilot Sport 4 S as a summer/performance tire.

Would you suggest a different tire? I’m assuming by Extreme tire, you mean something like Cup 2s?
Old 03-04-2023, 07:09 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I'm looking at Extreme or Max Performance Summer Tires. Bridgestone RE71RS most likely since I can get it in "CR" size which is 10mm wider in the rear (255mm) like my current tires.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2023, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to S2KI!
Originally Posted by mik_s2k
... and if anyone can point me to the best DC/NoVA specific groups, I’d be greatly appreciative!
We have a Mid-Atlantic subforum here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/mid-atla...000-owners-47/