Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Long time mazda guy new to town.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice ride! Congrats!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by hibbsdp
I live in North Little Rock but we tend to go all over when we go on drives.
I hope you will join us at the next Boston Mountains Tour (BMT). The unofficial date for the fall event is October 20.

Also, check in on the Ark-La-Tex subforum from time to time. It's pretty dead right now but might come back to life eventually.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU
I hope you will join us at the next Boston Mountains Tour (BMT). The unofficial date for the fall event is October 20.

Also, check in on the Ark-La-Tex subforum from time to time. It's pretty dead right now but might come back to life eventually.
That sounds awesome! I'm switching jobs right now so as long as I can get off I'll be there. I've done miatas at the gap and Midwest Miata gathering before so it would be nice to have a big event like that without the long drive!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nice to see another rx7 guy here! welcome
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sh00bs
nice to see another rx7 guy here! welcome
Thanks man. I'm a rotary guy for sure but I'll be interested in seeing how your swap progresses. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice car. You have good taste.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:18 AM

Welcome. Did the RX7 give you any trouble reliability wise?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. I've had the rx7 for 2 years now and haven't had any issues with it. Bear in mind that this is my 3rd rotary car and I pretty well know how to keep one of those engines happy. I bought this one from a shop with a brand new street ported engine in it and I've probably only put 3-4k miles on it since I bought it. It's a project car for sure. It needs some paint and body work but I've completely restored the interior and it's making around 300whp as it sits right now. Its a ton of fun!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You traded an ND miata for the s2k? Most of us autoxers are going the opposite. That torque they have down low is enough to whoop us.
talk me outta my thoughts of parting out and getting an ND!!
Old 06-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Strictly with a mind towards autox and competition (and frankly for everyday street driving) I won't argue that the ND has a lot more usable torque and that you don't have to row gears nearly as much to keep it in the powerband as the s2000. Also bear in mind my ND was a club with BBS/Brembos and it had an intake, exhaust, springs, tires and a good alignment. It wasn't just a stock ND. That being said, I only autox for fun and the engine on the ND was a big let down for me. It just felt like a mazda 3 engine (because it is). It didn't like to rev out, ran out of breath badly up top and generally didn't feel like a sports car engine should feel (in my opinion).

I loved everything about my ND except the engine, which is an important part in a sports car. The s2000 just feels so much more intangibly special to drive than the ND, and that's what matters to me in a sports car. I get the same kind of special sports car feeling from the s2000 as my fiance's cayman. I didn't get that from the ND. That's why I changed, but then again, I don't seriously compete in autox. Different strokes for different folks.

I wouldn't tell you not to get an ND. Its a great car that punches above its weight (pun intended) with all that torque. It just doesn't really feel special to me. Drive em both and see.

If you do get an ND, get the club trim so you get the LSD, bilsteins, braces etc. I would also wait for MY2019 because they're supposed to have a 185hp engine that's more rev happy. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about my ND ownership experience.

Quick Reply: Long time mazda guy new to town.