Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New 07' Owner

Old 12-09-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

For a baseline I'd change the differential oil as well as engine and gearbox. Note the differential uses hypoid gear oil (spec in your manual).

Several recommendations here for the gearbox including the Honda.

Both are easy to service with the right size wrenches. Remove the fill plug first.

Shifter re-grease is still on my to-do list...

-- Chuck
Old 12-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:
Got through enough of my to do list to warrant a proper introduction to the car.

Mechanical things done:
  • Replaced TCT with a Ballade Sports because of a noise that it turns out is probably an exhaust leak (I have exhaust headers installed by the previous owner). Sidenote: I have a perfectly good OEM TCT if anyone is interested PM me.
  • Replaced the MT fluid with Honda MTF. Old one wasn't horrible but not new either. Grinding into 2&3 improved.
  • Regressed shifter, replaced ball joint socket and the other big plastic bit. Used Honda high temp urea grease. Much improved shift fluidness, didn't change grinding or anything other than smoothness.
  • Changed oil for synthetic 10W30. The stuff there was definitely in for a change, and not sure what it was. It also had a non-OEM filter. Sidenote: my manual and recent experience say the oil drain bolt is 14mm at least in my 07. Since the guides say 17mm, I'm guessing they changed it at some point.
  • Applied some (generic) silicone grease I had on hand to the underside of the hardtop to keep it from squeaking.
Cosmetic things done:
  • Reupholstered the seat bottom cushions. I paid $500 for a local guy, he by chance happened to have OEM leather on hand.
  • Had the hole in the carpet patched with a plastic sheet for $25. I'd rather get new carpet but $300+ vs $25... I'll just call it "reinforced carpet".
  • Redyed the seats.
  • Had a guy fix the leather and repaint the steering wheel for $75
  • Purchased new Honda OEM floor mats.
  • New stereo head unit and speakers. Used Modifrys stuff.
  • Installed backup camera with front/rear dashcam recording and shock sensing for parking.
  • Wired backup camera and phone charger wires through A pillar trim.
  • Replaced map lights and trunk lights with LEDs
  • Fixed the 12V outlet being loose.
  • Cleaned up and waxed.
Plans for the future
  • Install OEM hardtop quick release bracket.
  • Replace the dirty Injen CAI.
  • Repaint the valve cover with fresh wrinkle paint. Open to changing the color, but probably going with red.
  • Detail the engine bay.
  • Change the diff fluid. I just moved and realized I now don't have a 21mm+ socket set.
  • Fix soft top holes (haven't even seen them yet but I've been told it's 2 nickle sized holes)
  • Remove spare tire and figure out how to make a replacement panel that gives more trunk space
  • Install sound insulation in trunk and maybe center console (some quietcoat, high density foam and bquiet? Looking for opinions).
  • Clean up wiring under drivers side dash.
  • Fix the headlights. The projectors don't match and, even worse, the passengers side sometimes turns off. I think I need to replace both headlights, so due to the $$ I'll probably just wait until I find some used ones.
  • Realign the front bumper and inner fenders. They're all missaligned and missing fasteners (some bolts, some clips). I think this is from the previous owner installing a CAI.
  • Fix the paint. The front is fool or rock chips and there is some bad color matching on the driver's side from some scratch repair. VIN stickers are there so I know there was no frame damage. I might just leave this for a couple years, let it get worse before it gets better and then I never want to drive on a B road again...
Long post, just kinda brainstorming and looking for feedback.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Looks/sounds good to me! We can quibble about TCTs though. Keep an eye/ear on the Ballade. Hang onto your OEM part as Billman can use the core if you decide/need to get his unit. There are a zillion threads on this. Name calling in some so I won't repeat them.

I used black Gortex parka patches on the inside and outside of my roof which developed a 1" tear over the passenger's shoulder. Been patched for about 18 months. Close color match. Got the patches on-line but Dick's Sporting Goods has the kits in my area. Roof replacement is an all day professional job to prevent leaks (mainly into the trunk) afterwards so I'm content with the minuscule cosmetic blemish of the patch.

I found a crowfoot wrench useful for torquing the differential fill bolt. A regular wrench will remove it easily.

Shift point of 4300 rpm was recommended to me 3 years ago. I thought this was just teasing the new guy but it works without a hint of grinding.

My front end is a rock chip magnet. Maybe get it corrected in the spring. There's an OEM front spoiler still sitting in a box in my garage to go on when this happens. Just moved and haven't found a detail shop yet. No time to look though setting up a new-to-us house.

-- Chuck
Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great start. I just got my 2007 as well and followed a similar repair path last week. If you don’t mind me asking what part of CA are you in? Reason I ask is I’d love a good reference for upholstery and sounds like you are happy with the work you had done.
Thanks im advance!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM

I'm in San Diego. I had Abel at AB Auto Upholstery do the work.
The following users liked this post:
BadgerS2000 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there an issue with the Ballade TCT?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM

I don't seem to have any issue with it. Noise was resolved and turned out to be a loose harness