Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New and in the market for first s2k

Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and in the market for first s2k

Hey everyone. My name's Tyler. I'm 23 years old, and from Birmingham, Al. I've lurked through the forums a few times and always envied everyone that owned an S. It has been one of my dream cars ever since The Fast and the Furious came out when I was 7 or 8 years old.

I'm currently driving a '93 Civic EJ2 and it is way passed time for an upgrade! I recently moved to a new apartment with my girlfriend of 2 years, and believe that I'm financially ready to purchase one of my dream cars, the S2000. I've been searching online for the right one day in and day out. I think I might have found it, and I would like some advice from everyone here on the forums if this is a good deal. Any input is greatly appreciated! If I go through with it, I will be getting the car without the hardtop and with the wheels. Dropping the price to $15,500

Here is the craigslist ad:
2002 Honda S2000 S2K $18000
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6144303186.html
Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

I know you want it but...

Parking an S2000 at any apartment is begging for it to be stolen or damaged. Parking a black car outdoors will "require" almost daily washing to keep it looking decent too. Locking it is pointless as we all carry a master key for convertibles -- called a knife. It's not grossly overpriced but the car has a non stock suspension which means it's probably lowered. If you're still serious see if you can get the car with both sets of wheels and tires. The car's handling improves with the lower tire profiles in the 17" wheels over the OEM 16" wheels. A buddy put a set of OEM 17" wheels on his 2002 car and noted this.

I can't recommend any roadster as a daily driver. But I've done it at least 3 times so I don't learn lessons quickly. The S2000 is claustrophobic with the roof up and 90°F temperatures bake me in the summer. Mine is a weekend/occasional drive to work in the summer car. Recall the "classic British roadster" category originated in the UK which has mild climate normally all year round. The Miata (and its clones) and S2000 mimic this style car.

-- Chuck
Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

^ That basically sums it up. Chuck did a great job of mentioning everything I was thinking.

FWIW I paid about less than 2k more for a 07 with the same amount of miles. Mine is all stock and it looks like that one has some decent mods on it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from Huntsville.
What about these?

https://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/6176588523.html
44k miles $18000

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6153142890.html
71k miles $15000

Really liking the yellow one but he had it for only 4 months(Don't like short term owners/flippers).
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I know you want it but...

Parking an S2000 at any apartment is begging for it to be stolen or damaged. Parking a black car outdoors will "require" almost daily washing to keep it looking decent too. Locking it is pointless as we all carry a master key for convertibles -- called a knife. It's not grossly overpriced but the car has a non stock suspension which means it's probably lowered. If you're still serious see if you can get the car with both sets of wheels and tires. The car's handling improves with the lower tire profiles in the 17" wheels over the OEM 16" wheels. A buddy put a set of OEM 17" wheels on his 2002 car and noted this.

I can't recommend any roadster as a daily driver. But I've done it at least 3 times so I don't learn lessons quickly. The S2000 is claustrophobic with the roof up and 90°F temperatures bake me in the summer. Mine is a weekend/occasional drive to work in the summer car. Recall the "classic British roadster" category originated in the UK which has mild climate normally all year round. The Miata (and its clones) and S2000 mimic this style car.

-- Chuck
Our apartment has garages that I can rent, and I was going to keep my civic so i wont be putting too many miles on the S. I like the fact that the car is already lowered, even though i would upgrade the suspension later anyways. Also for $15,500 the car comes with both the stock wheels and the Works. You say its not "grossly overpriced", so is 15k a little too much? 15k is around the top of my budget. Do you think I can find an AP2 is similar condition for that price?

Originally Posted by Simplegreenvr6
^ That basically sums it up. Chuck did a great job of mentioning everything I was thinking.

FWIW I paid about less than 2k more for a 07 with the same amount of miles. Mine is all stock and it looks like that one has some decent mods on it.
Do you recommend I get an AP2 instead?

Originally Posted by Techie182
Hello from Huntsville.
What about these?

https://gadsden.craigslist.org/cto/6176588523.html
44k miles $18000

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6153142890.html
71k miles $15000

Really liking the yellow one but he had it for only 4 months(Don't like short term owners/flippers).
I'll check those out, though 18k might be a little out of my budget for now.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but my take on it is: save your money and contribute more to your retirement accounts.

Spending $15k for a weekend car when you're 23 and living in an apartment is probably not the choice 35-40 year old you would wish you were making now.

If you disregard the above - I also wouldn't get so mileage obsessed with an S2000 purchase. The premium is too high IMO, and I personally went for a lower priced one with more miles so I wouldn't feel guilty driving it. I have no qualms about jumping in the car and ripping down backroads in the weekends and piling on the miles when it suits me.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but my take on it is: save your money and contribute more to your retirement accounts.

Spending $15k for a weekend car when you're 23 and living in an apartment is probably not the choice 35-40 year old you would wish you were making now.

If you disregard the above - I also wouldn't get so mileage obsessed with an S2000 purchase. The premium is too high IMO, and I personally went for a lower priced one with more miles so I wouldn't feel guilty driving it. I have no qualms about jumping in the car and ripping down backroads in the weekends and piling on the miles when it suits me.

To comment on your first point, you're right. Maybe buying a 'weekend' car isn't the BEST decision for a young 20-something. The flip side is we don't really know OP's situation and what he has working for in his favor is if he buys the "right" S2k, then unloading it shouldn't be an issue if he needed to. Its a possibility he might even break even.

At his age, yes I would put that $15k into something less likely to depreciate with use. I bought my first house at 24 (I'm 27 this year) and it was the best decision I've ever made, but I have equally as successful friends that simply don't want to be "tied down" to a house. Every situation is unique.

OP, to answer your question about buying an AP2 - I personally wouldn't spend $15k on a AP1 unless I was looking specifically for an AP1. The post referring to buying an higher mileage one is one I can get behind if its your first S2. I just bought my AP2 in mint shape w/ 64k because I know it will only get taken out a few times a year. Had I wanted to drive one every weekend, I would have been less particular about condition.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by DefSport

It will be more than just a weekend car, just not an everyday driver. So you're probably right about the mileage because I know I'll be wanting to drive it often and I dont want to feel guilty about putting miles on it. I'll pass on this one and save the low mileage S for when i get settled in a new house.

To comment on your first point, you're right. Maybe buying a 'weekend' car isn't the BEST decision for a young 20-something. The flip side is we don't really know OP's situation and what he has working for in his favor is if he buys the "right" S2k, then unloading it shouldn't be an issue if he needed to. Its a possibility he might even break even.

At his age, yes I would put that $15k into something less likely to depreciate with use. I bought my first house at 24 (I'm 27 this year) and it was the best decision I've ever made, but I have equally as successful friends that simply don't want to be "tied down" to a house. Every situation is unique.

OP, to answer your question about buying an AP2 - I personally wouldn't spend $15k on a AP1 unless I was looking specifically for an AP1. The post referring to buying an higher mileage one is one I can get behind if its your first S2. I just bought my AP2 in mint shape w/ 64k because I know it will only get taken out a few times a year. Had I wanted to drive one every weekend, I would have been less particular about condition.
You guys make a good point. I know I'm going to drive it often when i get one so might as well get one that i wont feel guilty about taking out every other day.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM

My point is not just that he should buy a house, but stretching a budget for a fun "somtimes" car is probably not the best thing.

I spent money in my 20s and early 30s really modding my S13 240SX, but looking back on it, I wish I hadn't gone as crazy with it and kept the cost down in a few areas. I made a side business around it to keep it roughly money neutral though, but it was still a slight burden even though I'm much better off financially than in my 20s.

i got a higher mileage AP1, and don't regret it one bit. It's not perfect, and that's fine. It was clean enough, pretty cheap (for an S2000), and not a basket case - done and done.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 PM

And just to finish my old guy rant, I'll stress that I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to strive for maxing out my 401k contributions, not what latest mod I was thinking about buying.

Quick Reply: New and in the market for first s2k