Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New owner from Ireland

Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New owner from Ireland

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker and the resources available on ths site have really helped me understand amd prepare for S2000 ownership. I've always loved the S2000 since it was released when I was a young boy. My previous cars have usually been small FWD hatches, starting out with the Mk5 Ford Fiesta Zetec-S and Mk1 RenaultSport Clio 172. In all my others have just been boring stuff for commuting. Thankfully my partner decided to buy her own car this year, so I could finally buy my dream car. A Facelift Honda S2000 (Irish Car, F20C).

Picking up the car was frankly terrifying. When you put something on a pedestal, aqcuiring it can be a little overwhelming. The long drive home, with an overnight stop at my parent's place I spent the whole time expecting something to go bang. After a couple of weeks of owneship I feel much more at ease. I was ideally looking for a GT model, but as they are relatively thin on the ground here, I opted for a low mileage model, and have a hardtop and fitting kit lined up.

The car is in relatively good condition, low mileage, but it does need a couple of small jobs. Preventative maintenance plus the front brakes feel like they need reconditioning. So I put a pretty big order in with Hendy in the UK for some geniune parts.
  • Engine oil (Petronas Syntium 3000 AV 5W-40) and Geniune Honda Filter change
  • Genuine Honda gearbox oil
  • Genuine Honda differential oil
  • Genuine Honda Air Filter
  • Genuine Honda cabin filter
  • Ballade Sports TCT (preventative measure)
  • Genuine Honda front and rear discs and pads
  • Genuine Honda rear caliper rebuild kit
  • Reconditioned pair of front calipers (genuine Nissin parts)
  • Hardtop strikers
  • Genuine Honda washers for the oil changes
She needed a good clean after the long drive, so I dropped her into a local place for a decent hand wash and wax. I'd like to get the paintwork machine polished at some point, but there is a couple of little stone chips I'd want sorted and I need to get the hardtop painted before I get around to that.

Here she is in all her glory: 2006 AP1 Facelift (F20C) in Berlina black and red interior.

Last edited by BrenRogers; 07-13-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks nice and I am sure this will end up being the car you have wanted. I hear what you are saying about driving a newly purchased car home and being uneasy. I was the same way when I had to drive mine home 225 miles. You don't know any more about the car than you are told and what you can discern from an amateur inspection. Half the fun is getting to know the car when you get home by servicing it and bringing it up to your standards.

Good luck. I hope you have a garage on that nice property.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Looks nice and I am sure this will end up being the car you have wanted. I hear what you are saying about driving a newly purchased car home and being uneasy. I was the same way when I had to drive mine home 225 miles. You don't know any more about the car than you are told and what you can discern from an amateur inspection. Half the fun is getting to know the car when you get home by servicing it and bringing it up to your standards.

Good luck. I hope you have a garage on that nice property.
Thank buddy, unfortunately no garage to put her in right now, but I have somewhere lined up for storage during winter (which can be rather long here). The drive home was 539km (334 miles). It's particularly scary in a car you aren't used to "is that a normal noise?" you are constantly asking yourself.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 AM

I hear you. I didn't know much about these cars and was alarmed that I was at 4000 RPM at highway speeds in 6th gear.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Beautiful car. Love the red interior....I'm a big fan myself
Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Drove mine 120miles home in the dark to discover rear tyre on wrong way round and a cracked wheel causing deflation.

I was not told of the problem when I bought it
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 AM

There will always be some anxiety driving an unknown car for a distance. Issues go with the territory buying used cars. I always figure I am going to need $500 in reserve when buying a used car to do a complete fluid service and fix anything that needs immediate attention. If I don't burn through the funds, it's a success.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the world of S2K ownership. The cool thing about these cars is not just that they have such capable high revving engines, but that the engineering behind these cars allows these engines to keep revving like crazy for many, many miles with just regular maintenance (keeping a mindful eye on oil consumption). The quality of the materials used in the construction of these cars sees that the rest of the car keeps pace with the engine. It's one of the beautiful things about these cars being Hondas. Your car looks great.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by S2kys
Beautiful car. Love the red interior....I'm a big fan myself
Originally Posted by noodels
Drove mine 120miles home in the dark to discover rear tyre on wrong way round and a cracked wheel causing deflation.

I was not told of the problem when I bought it
Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
There will always be some anxiety driving an unknown car for a distance. Issues go with the territory buying used cars. I always figure I am going to need $500 in reserve when buying a used car to do a complete fluid service and fix anything that needs immediate attention. If I don't burn through the funds, it's a success.
Originally Posted by GuthNW
Welcome to the world of S2K ownership. The cool thing about these cars is not just that they have such capable high revving engines, but that the engineering behind these cars allows these engines to keep revving like crazy for many, many miles with just regular maintenance (keeping a mindful eye on oil consumption). The quality of the materials used in the construction of these cars sees that the rest of the car keeps pace with the engine. It's one of the beautiful things about these cars being Hondas. Your car looks great.
Thanks for the warm welcome all. A few small jobs to do, nothing major thankfully. I don't know if there is a designated forum for project threads on s2ki, if someone can point me in the right direction rather than starting one here.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...v2-1-a-301506/