Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New to S2K let alone Honda

Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to S2K let alone Honda

Hey all,

It looks like I'll be getting an S2K this weekend. I'm coming from a 981 Cayman S with full bolt on and tune, unfortunately I had a 1 in a million injector failure (literally only 1 has previously been ordered on the east coast for my car by PCNA before) and scored by cylinders, got a $5k repair bill to temporarily get it running, but a new motor is $25k (yikes, right?).

So anyways, S2K time! 2003 with 8 previous owners, spotty maintenance records, but it rides pretty well. 96K miles. Has TEIN springs, invidia exhaust, some aftermarket sway bars, and a CAI.

I'm trying to weed out things to be concerned with and or do immediately upon purchase, I'm not too worried about replacing parts, I can do it all myself and things seem pretty cheap. I'm just concerned if there are any specific things to look out for as big red flags $$$.

Things I plan to do immediately upon purchase:
Coolant flush.
Trans Flush.
Oil Change.
Change Brake fluid. (pads if necessary)
Check hoses and replace if necessary.
Check suspension bushings
Check and Clean TB/intake manifold.
Upgrade strut bar.
Upgrade the AP1 Retainers to AP2.
Upgrade headlights and tailights to AP2 (these are direct swap correct?)

Within the next few months:
KW coils (or similar)
New wheels, probably RPF1 (yeah yeah, overplayed I know) What is the best "flush" fitment without going stupidly wide or needing to roll fenders, etc. I don't care about "stance"
Clutch Kit if necessary.

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 09-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Your list looks good. I'd also check the clutch slave cylinder and regrease the shifter. Serpentine belt.

I am totally new to Honda myself just coming on board in May. No regrets at all so far. This car is a driver's car that is analog and visceral. You are one with the car and road. Nothing to turn on or off to get the driving experience you desire.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

No kidding yikes. Here's a good reference thread: What to look for when buying a used S2000

Good luck with your S2K purchase and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 AM

Wooo, made my purchase. (Hurricane Florence delayed things) I ended up going with a 2004 AP2 in great condition at 108k miles. The dealer claims the oil and coolant were changed, a dipstick check seemed like it probably was. Which I believe leaves me with the below things to check/do.

Trans Flush.
Differential Flush.
Brake Fluid Flush
1 Hose by oil filter seems to be leaking a bit, will replace
Suspension is all good, it is on lowering springs that are red, anyone know what brand that would be??

DC strut bar ordered.
Image dynamics and soundstream full audio system components ordered (already has alpine headunit), the speakers in these are crap lol.

I want to replace the AP2 spoiler with a ducktail, anyone have a clue if this one would cover the AP2 spoiler holes? Or know of a decent one that will?
Amazon Amazon

Also, here's a pic of the two (three) babes together as I picked up the S2k yesterday.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike127
Wooo, made my purchase. (Hurricane Florence delayed things) I ended up going with a 2004 AP2 in great condition at 108k miles. The dealer claims the oil and coolant were changed, a dipstick check seemed like it probably was. Which I believe leaves me with the below things to check/do.

Trans Flush.
Differential Flush.
Brake Fluid Flush
1 Hose by oil filter seems to be leaking a bit, will replace
Suspension is all good, it is on lowering springs that are red, anyone know what brand that would be??

DC strut bar ordered.
Image dynamics and soundstream full audio system components ordered (already has alpine headunit), the speakers in these are crap lol.

I want to replace the AP2 spoiler with a ducktail, anyone have a clue if this one would cover the AP2 spoiler holes? Or know of a decent one that will?
https://www.amazon.com/Spoiler-2000-...0722YRHZD?th=1

Also, here's a pic of the two (three) babes together as I picked up the S2k yesterday.

A DC strut bar will do zero good for you.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

Strut bar (between the shock towers) is not needed and only useful as something to lean on when working on the engine. Looks good too! Don't worry I put one on when my car was new-to-me too!

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

What spoiler is on the rear end now? The front doesn't look OE.

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
"1 Hose by oil filter seems to be leaking a bit, will replace"

Is it coolant or oil? Coolant would result in air in the system and possible overheat. It has coolant running through it. If it is oil on the hose, check the following above that hose

- VTEC Main Gasket
- VTEC Upper Gasket
- VTEC Oil Pressure Switch O-Ring
- TCT O-Rings
- TCT Service Cap Triangular O-Ring

You will also notice oil on the subframe below if you see oil on the oil cooler U shaped coolant hose.

Here is some pictures of where and how to check for oil from the top down. Place the paper towel on these edges

VTEC Upper - backside of solenoid triangle

VTEC Oil Pressure Switch- bottom side without touching VTEC body

VTEC Main - bottom of VTEC body/top of TCT

​​​​TCT Service Cap - front bottom of rhombus of TCT

TCT O-Rings - mating surface of TCT to block

Start at the top and work your way down with a clean towel, you can determine the source this way to see what's dripping onto your oil cooler coolant hose
Thanks for the pics! That's helpful. I'll look more into it this weekend.
Front has some aftermarket splitter on it, the rear is a stock AP2 spoiler

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Agreed completely unnecessary. Spend the money else where.. like an LHT master cylinder brace or shifter rebuild...
Oh well it was $122, I'll research into and probably order the LHT brace also