Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Owning an s2k scratched off my bucket list

Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The Tanabe is $120 more expensive than the Invidia. Because I never heard the Q300 before I installed it I took a $180 loss when I got rid of it (sold it quickly for $500). So my experience cost me an extra $300 than if I'd avoided the Q300 altogether. Yeah it was THAT bad (for me).

I can hear my OEM radio now that the Q300 is off and the Medalion Touring is on the car. And some of the K&N intake.

The best thing about the Q300 exhaust is how easy the 4-piece construction comes off to replace with the Tanabe Medalion Touring. I did it all by myself in less than an hour. It was a two person job to take the OEM system off. Use lots of PB Blaster and detach the mufflers first. If you detach the front end first the mufflers will hang up on the back of the car.

There's a Mighty Car Mods episode on putting the Q300 on a S2000. Medalion Touring goes on the same way.

-- Chuck
Hmm... Firstly, I did actually watch that episode of Mighty car mods and other reviews on the Q300 on YouTube. I think that after all the information you gave Chuck, I gonna need to listen in person to the Q300, Tanabe, and the Greddy SE that Alex has before deciding on what to put on my car.

The good thing is, I think I will be able to manage to do the install on the exhaust myself regardless of which set I get. I think that's an accomplishment all on its own
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 1,146 Likes on 1,008 Posts

You need to hear the exhaust from inside the car under normal driving conditions. Roof up and down. Pay attention to the sound/noise at cruising speeds, 3000 - 4000 rpm. Get as much time in the car as the owners will allow.

Recommend a partner to help remove the OEM exhaust. It's all one piece. Saturate the nuts and bolts with PB-Blaster several times before attempting to remove them. We removed everything from the header back since we were putting Berk high flow cats on at the same time but you may want to do this regardless as the top bolt (of 3) on the cat is very hard to remove even with a rattle gun. The rear frame cross brace needs to come off to remove the OEM. The 4-part systems maneuver around it.

The MCM video makes this look simple but my buddy's car was so rusty we ended up using an angle grinder to get the bolts off the header (AutoZone had generic replacements!) and my 1/2" rattle gun wouldn't remove the bolts from the cat later when the exhaust was sitting on the lawn. This didn't matter to our install as we were using a new cat.

There are so few S2000 cars in Ohio I was never able to hear any non-OEM exhaust before I made the switch. Who knows, you may love the Invidia Q300, a lot of guys seem to. And, of course, the OEM system is fine, just a bit docile sounding.

-- Chuck
Old 11-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Originally Posted by bMa912' timestamp='1448728253' post='23814441
[quote name='alSpeed2k' timestamp='1448650626' post='23813926']
Haha, no, that would be a shock tower bar. We don't have one on our cars and because of the design of our cars, having one doesn't make a difference (although some will argue that it does).

I think the Moddiction Sway bar is a good option, especially this weekend b/c of the black friday sale! If you don't mind paying more, a Karcepts bar is also an excellent choice; but it's money! Read here for a review of it; it looks like a quality piece!
Thanks for the recommendation Alex. (and also clearing up my misconception of what a sway bar is). Pardon my ignorance lol. I did take a look at the Moddiction sway bar and glanced over the Karcept one as well. I didn't make a purchase due to the fact that I will be driving my car less and less during the winter and plan on putting in new parts starting in the spring.

In your opinion, is the Moddiction one a good value or worth the purchase? The main thing I want to get out of my car is a fun drive on the odd day that I actually get to go out and about. I don't need the best of the best for a premium price because I never plan on tracking my car and the hardest I'm gonna drive it is maybe on a Whistler run or road trip.

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
If you are interested, here's a read on Springs and Swaybars.

Also, I have a Greddy SE, you can have a listen to it if you want. One of the other local members recently bought a Q300 as well (used). I haven't listened to it lately, but I heard one on the street before and personally, I didn't like the tone of it that much.
I did try to read through that guide but for someone who is not mechanically inclined at all, it was like a foreign language to me. I definitely would like to hear yours and other member's exhaust. Maybe there will be a casual meet soon in Vancouver and I get to meet a bunch of you guys from the forum.

I think the Moddiction bar is at an excellent price. My friend paid almost as much for his Eibach bar that he purchased in the summer.

We have impromptu meets all the time. I just met up with cheddaboy and Seeker1 yesterday afternoon. We communicate mostly through whatsapp though.
[/quote]

Pm'd you regarding this.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You need to hear the exhaust from inside the car under normal driving conditions. Roof up and down. Pay attention to the sound/noise at cruising speeds, 3000 - 4000 rpm. Get as much time in the car as the owners will allow.

Recommend a partner to help remove the OEM exhaust. It's all one piece. Saturate the nuts and bolts with PB-Blaster several times before attempting to remove them. We removed everything from the header back since we were putting Berk high flow cats on at the same time but you may want to do this regardless as the top bolt (of 3) on the cat is very hard to remove even with a rattle gun. The rear frame cross brace needs to come off to remove the OEM. The 4-part systems maneuver around it.

The MCM video makes this look simple but my buddy's car was so rusty we ended up using an angle grinder to get the bolts off the header (AutoZone had generic replacements!) and my 1/2" rattle gun wouldn't remove the bolts from the cat later when the exhaust was sitting on the lawn. This didn't matter to our install as we were using a new cat.

There are so few S2000 cars in Ohio I was never able to hear any non-OEM exhaust before I made the switch. Who knows, you may love the Invidia Q300, a lot of guys seem to. And, of course, the OEM system is fine, just a bit docile sounding.

-- Chuck
Great information. If you keep giving me these pointers, you're gonna end up as my online mechanic Unfortunately right now in Vancouver, it is getting too cold and it might start snowing soon. I'm going to put this off until it gets alittle warmer in spring. I will definitely update this post once I decide on one and get it installed.

Now if I only lived in Ohio... Then I can listen to your Tanabe set up haha
Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 PM

1 like the side strakes and rear oem spoiler and no front lip (derriere focused). Are you keeping the strakes on?
2 I think all year s2000 are special in there own way. 00' is the lightest because the cabin wind deflector is not there (standard)! And I never figured out why they have some settings on the heater vent option in orange. Anyone know?
3 I have a 03 lol.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dsthez
1 like the side strakes and rear oem spoiler and no front lip (derriere focused). Are you keeping the strakes on?
2 I think all year s2000 are special in there own way. 00' is the lightest because the cabin wind deflector is not there (standard)! And I never figured out why they have some settings on the heater vent option in orange. Anyone know?
3 I have a 03 lol.
Yea I do plan on keeping the strakes on but I am looking to put OEM front lip on as well later. I just didn't want to before I put lowering springs on the car.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM

Recently painted my OEM AP1 rims gloss black. If you're interested, Check out how I did it.

Attachment 175384
Old 12-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an cool story. Hope you still have the s2000. And welcome to the forums
Old 12-03-2015, 12:55 PM

You should pick up a hks hi power single exhaust instead.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by clamtbr600
What an cool story. Hope you still have the s2000. And welcome to the forums
Thanks

Originally Posted by dra9on
You should pick up a hks hi power single exhaust instead.
I am not a big fan of single exhausts for the s2k. I think it's more of a visual thing for me. It looks better as a dual exhaust I think.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 PM

Welcome. Had a HKS Hi power single and by far one of the best sounding exhaust.

Quick Reply: Owning an s2k scratched off my bucket list