Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance

Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry to hijack your thread but I started fixing up my thigh bolster this evening. Many many thanks for your guidance by example.
Mine was in a similar state as yours with perished foam that needed structure and filler. I ended up using Flexseal tape and foam filler.

Here are a few pics:

Perished bolster in need of repair

Taped up outside of bolster with Flexseal tape.

Cheap supplies

Flexseal on outside of bolster and masking tape holding shape and preventing further expansion of the foam so it will shoot out the top. After letting it cure, I will trim it like you did and reinforce it further with Flexseal tape. I'm sure by morning that more will squirt out the top.

I may cut some thin neoprene to shape for the inside of the bolster but I don't think it will need it. I will just have to see what it looks like with a test fit of the leather again. I might put some flexseal tape over the expanded foam for protection. Not sure yet.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 12-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Sorry to hijack your thread but I started fixing up my thigh bolster this evening. Many many thanks for your guidance by example.
Mine was in a similar state as yours with perished foam that needed structure and filler. I ended up using Flexseal tape and foam filler.

Here are a few pics:

Perished bolster in need of repair

Taped up outside of bolster with Flexseal tape.

Cheap supplies

Flexseal on outside of bolster and masking tape holding shape and preventing further expansion of the foam so it will shoot out the top. After letting it cure, I will trim it like you did and reinforce it further with Flexseal tape.

I may cut some thin neoprene to shape for the inside of the bolster. I will just have to see what it looks like with a test fit of the leather again.

​​​​​Nice man! Yea The neoprene foam from the craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby are great to get the nice smooth contour, and helps make tbe whole bolster feel solid. I didnt have any tape on my bolster at reassembly, so thats up to you.

Last edited by Deckoz; 12-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:47 PM

I am going to leave that white tape on the outside because that tear was so long. I will stop at Hobby Lobby and grab some neoprene there. I assume you just cut to shape and sprayed on adhesive?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM

I am going to leave that white tape on the outside because that tear was so long. I will stop at Hobby Lobby and grab some neoprene there. I assume you just cut to shape and sprayed on adhesive?
Yes sir, I used a piece of newpaper/packing paper with tape to block off everything but the inner section of the foam bolster, I sprayed both the neoprene and bolster, let them dry, them mated them.

I didn't get the neoprene along the edge perfect unril they were mated..I used a tint razor to cut the edge at a 45 while pulling the cover on and off to check so the edge of the 45 met the seam and didn't go past, so that i could retain the "Knife edge" instead of the foam rounding the top

Last edited by Deckoz; 12-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Thanks a lot. I think I got a little over zealous on the spray foam so I have plenty of cutting and shaping to do with the saw blade and file. I think the neoprene will help because I am thinking the leather will show the texture of what's beneath more than I think. I have more surface area of raw spray foam than you ended up with. The neoprene will definitely help smooth things out. I am just going to take some rosin paper to make a quick template, cut it and adhere it like you did.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 12-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanks a lot. I think I got a little over zealous on the spray foam so I have plenty of cutting and shaping to do with the saw blade and file. I think the neoprene will help because I am thinking the leather will show the texture of what's beneath more than I think. I have more surface area of raw spray foam than you ended up with. The neoprene will definitely help smooth things out. I am just going to take some rosin paper to make a quick template, cut it and adhere it like you did.
The leather will show texture fairly easily, the neoprene does help, but filing, and sanding will make it all nice and smooth.

Anyway I started the install of @JS2k.com LED's. Unfortunately the brake lights were missing from my order, so hoping he responds to email/sends them out soon.

Anyway here are some comparisons. I will post the rest once I receive the missing brake lights and install the rest(headlights, turns, reverse, markers etc)

Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 AM

That's a marked difference in light quality.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Well, I got my seat all done. It didn't turn out as nice as yours but mine was severely crushed for years and the leather took a beating with creases. It is much more evident on bright red than black. Anyhoo.

Just before sanding and blending. I actually cut my own hole in the foam further toward the back because there was a void there too.

Test fit of neoprene that I cut from one of my old scuba wetsuits. I precisely cut the edge to the contour and glued it in with adhesive a bit later.

Just before a cleaning with the Dupray Neat steam cleaner. I had never cleaned leather with it before so I tested in on some older material first.

Finished product after a treatment of Voodoo Leather Conditioner. I think it looks a little better but there wasn't much I could do about the creases that had set in. I didn't want to blast it with steam too long.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it turned out pretty good to me Steve.

Might want to consider giving your seats the full Leatherique treatment if you already have them out of the car, might help rejuvenate the leather further.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Well, had the time to wire in a relay and add a fuse. Put a little more of the car together.

Quick Reply: Playing Catch-up: 2001 maintenance