Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Prospective S2K buyer has a few questions!

Old 08-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective S2K buyer has a few questions!

Hello all!! I am a prospective S2K buyer and had a few concerns that I wanted to see if you guys could shed some light on.

I will be in the market for a new car...VERY soon. I have been reading the forums and have been interested in the S2K since its conception. I was looking to buy one straight out of HS in 2001 but realized it was very far off my budget at the time and opted to buy a used 97 Acura CL. The car has been good to me, but the S2K bug has bit me again..

I mainly have a few questions about driving the S2K. I have never driven a manual or RWD before. This will be a new learning experience for me. I have been reading HORROR stories about how hard it is to drive a S2K for a noob like myself. Is the car really that hard to drive? I dont plan on racing around or anything and I am keeping the CL for days with crappy weather. What are your takes on this? I have no problems signing up for driving school either, much rather do that than wreck the car.

My next concern is budget wise. I am a recent college grad with a new job that pays 50-55k a year. I have no debt, I live with my sister in her basement and pay rent (about 350 a month). Other than that, I have minimal things such as cell phone and gym memberships. I think I can afford an S2K right now and be comfortable making payments. I don't mind a used one 2004+.

Just wanted some opinions from knowledgable S2KI members about my situation. Thanks for reading!!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi, electric,

There's a link in the FAQ link thread at the top of the introductions forum that talks about this a bit.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 PM

Forget the S2000.. you need to move out of basement first.....

i am making around the same amount of money as you right now, i make payments on a used 2004 S2k, 2005 600rr, 675 rent + every other little thing that needs to be paid.

so YES you can afford it.. and NO its not that hard to drive..

if you dont mind stalling a few times.. you wont have a problem with learning how to drive a stick on the S2k...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned

There are great lease deals going on right now for the S. Its a great time to get one. You have a good paying job and can afford it and save money for the future at the same time. And in this day and age of nuclear terror, you never know when it could be your last day. No regrets.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Aug 8 2006, 06:26 PM
There are great lease deals going on right now for the S. Its a great time to get one. You have a good paying job and can afford it and save money for the future at the same time. And in this day and age of nuclear terror, you never know when it could be your last day. No regrets.
Live each day like it was your last.

Translation: Buy a used s2k and drive it like you stole it
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Aug 8 2006, 09:26 PM
although i know most people are going to say save your money for a place, i really do not mind living with my sister. She's about my age (25, im 22). We have just about the same friends so it's not a problem for me. I will move out, but at 22 i'll probably be here a few more years.

Cthemall123: i figured this is a good time to buy a car. i have really no other payments. my rent is half of yours and my CL is paid off whereas you have 1 other thing that is requiring financial attention. This gives me an opportunity as GPMike said to save up also.

I'd like to know why everyone says it is hard to drive an S2K. what exactly is so hard about it?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:53 PM

i never understood that either.. i learned stick on a 1993 3 cyl geo metro and drove that until i destroyed it =P
got the S2k after owning a RSX type S for about a year and i really dont understand why people say this car is hard to drive

??

maybe hard to keep your eyes on the road because everybody is looking at you?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cthemall123,Aug 8 2006, 09:53 PM
i never understood that either.. i learned stick on a 1993 3 cyl geo metro and drove that until i destroyed it =P
got the S2k after owning a RSX type S for about a year and i really dont understand why people say this car is hard to drive

??

maybe hard to keep your eyes on the road because everybody is looking at you?
haha that may be it! but yeah you always hear about oversteer for S2K's and how the back end gets loose a lot. im assuming it's cause its RWD, but you dont hear horror stories about other RWD cars..just a bit confusing.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Electrichink,Aug 8 2006, 10:15 PM] haha that may be it! but yeah you always hear about oversteer for S2K's and how the back end gets loose a lot.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 AM

i'll keep that in mind. im also gonna try to keep this thing outta the rain as much as possible, but you know, weather is unpredictable.

Quick Reply: Prospective S2K buyer has a few questions!