Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

s2000 handling?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 handling?

hi guys, i have been lurking on s2ki for a few months. im really interested in getting a s2000 but have some questions. i have already test driven a 2003 ap1. i was too focused on the windshield height and that impaired my analysis of the car. previous cars i have had:

1957 VW beetle
1962 VW beetle
2002 VW GTI 1.8T
2000 acura integra GS-R
2000 Nissan Sentra
1988 honda CRX-SI (current)
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S (was sold before it was driveable, but have driven one before)

i really enjoy cars that have go-kart like handing. the beetles, corolla, and the CRX have those attributes. how do you describe the s2000s handling to be like? handling is my top want in a car. i just test drove a car that i had on a possible buy list. it was a 2004 civic si. it felt like a boat and just was disappointing all around. so now it comes down to the s2000. i am a college student and work full time and have 2 more years to go. trunk room is not a concern. im not planning to finance this car, i will be buying the car cash this winter (budget is 12K max, 10K is where i would like to be since i will also need a hardtop). i already found a few s2000s on autotrader in that range. mazda miata is not an option.

now my question is: have any of you had CRXs, aircooled beetles, or corollas (ae86) and gone to a s2000? difference in handling characteristics (other then FWD if crx)? any and all input is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 PM

i havent driven all the cars you listed..

but i can guarantee that no car listed will feel anywhere near as "go-kart" as the s2000.

the s2000 is truly a driver's car. my s2000 feels like an extension of my arms and legs. and it's a car that "talks" to you. it is very well balanced and in the midst of the moment it will "ask" you, "so which would you like; understeer, oversteer, or a nice 4 wheel slide?"

it is also a challenging car to drive fast, it really is a car that keeps you on your toes, and if you know what you're doing the s2000 actually teaches you how to drive.

i've had other rwd cars and i have had my fun in all my cars, and i really thought i knew how to drive. the s2000 teaches you so much more it's ridiculous.

it is truly without a doubt the funnest car i have ever driven.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 PM

I currently am driving a EK hatch, with some suspension mods and have always driven FF Honda's and its a leap going into any RWD but especially the S. I love the CR-X and how you can toss it around corners and not really worry much but fight the understeer. But as in any RWD you can't just mash the throttle and expect the hood to point you in the right way. I'm not saying I'm a pro with the S, hell I'm looking for one myself. But FF Honda's pre 2001 with the double wishbone pretty much have one of the best handling out there of FF cars. Now just think of that but a Honda that is FR as the S. It's a blast to be in!

I have had many friends who have other FR cars (mainly Nissans) such as SR20 S14, G35, KA-T S14, RX8. They have all test driven an S and have fallen in love with it. They all said that its really fun to drive, and that you can do so much with it before it gets loose on you. The kick from the Vtec is something that left all them astonished (coming from guys who have boosted setups).

I've always driven FF but trust me the S is the car to go with. Just do your research, watch some videos of it in action and your gonna be shopping for one day and night till you get one.

P.S. yea the EP SI (01-05) was a pretty big disappointed compared to other Si or Type R models. Damn got pics of the 86 Corolla? Big fan of those cars too.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 PM

honestly, if you are still wondering how the s2k chassis is..
and u are still questioning the stock handling of s2k
then u aren't ready for s2k, neither do you love it enough

i owned the 2005 civic si, but sold it half a year ago.
i had sway bars, coilovers, stripped interior, 1 driver's seat, rear bars, c pillar bars, whatever i can waste my money on. it was stupid. i would never buy a ep3 again in my life.

anyways, s2k is whole different world.
first off, it's a convertible
2nd, rear wheel drive
3rd, stiff chassis (alot of owners argue that aftermarket suspension bars won't be any help. it's an on going debate)
4th, f20 / f22 motor 8/9k
5th, ample amounts of tuning options
6th, handling.....

handling can be changed by this & that blah blah blah...
I think there's a good reason why it started from year 2000 and it still is in production today. Just like any car, this car can improve in many areas to be competitive. But with an s2k, you're just starting at a higher level

the rear wheels are closer to you than almost any other car, the engine is shoved in behind the shock towers, tranny feel is great. the interior is simplified to the simplest. covered up headunit, quick buttons that are a fingertip away.

also 50/50 balance

one of my reason i topped off my decision to get s2k was the community itself really. no more ghetto people, no more low ballers, no more buyer-flaking. people know how to put down money without beating around the bush.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 AM

before my GS430 i had a 1985 coupe gt-s for about 5 years. it was fully built suspension for the track. engine was stock . I miss the feel of it and so i will be trading in my GS i think for an S2K. I dont own an S2K yet but i have test driven alot and i can tell you that its basically a modified 86 on steroids . I loved the 86 cuz u feel like your part of the road part of the car and the S2K def. delivers that. you dont even need to do much to the handling department because i think the suspension was spot on coming from the factory. i EVEN noticed that if you lower an S2K and you skimp on parts quality. it handles much worst. the rev range is right up there at 8k+ depending on which chassis you get. i loved that cuz thats were my 86 shined at. the motor to be able to rev at 7500 rpm's with no issue...the S2K is def. a drivers car for sure. It is quick all around. Its not like an evo were you point at a direction and step on the gas. you have to reli know the car to be able to handle it. they have very tight steering which i love. overdo it and you will spin out. like i said i havent owned an S2K but i have test driven AP1's AP2's 1 CR and 1 turbo S2K AP1. i loved them all.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 AM

oh and the last line that krnmike said. the community is really nice also. I posted on the intro section and felt really welcomed. even though i didnt have one, the fact that i was thinking of getting one they helped me out with all my questions. Im sure theres some flamers lurking around but for the most part i think they are an awsome community. I have been in the drifting and VIP communities...and even with the VIP community which i think would be more mature than normal. I still see some of the OG forum heads putting people down. But so far i havent seen that here
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM

i am definitely looking forward to a different, less ricey community. i got used to the rear sliding out on the aircooled beetles (swing axle rear suspension). snap oversteer is fun if you can control it and scary as f*** at the same time. i cant wait to test drive an AP1 again.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 03 is a good choice. If its like mine it will be tail happy but not too scary. My old MY99 car was way more scary when it went sideways.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM

You don't need a hardtop.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM

i live in modesto, was #1 top car theft per capita in the US. it is still in the top 5. partly the reason for the hardtop. also, hardtop for winter use since it does rain pretty hard here.

Quick Reply: s2000 handling?