Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Is the S2000 right for me?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the S2000 right for me?

Hi

I've spent the last few days reading through these forums trying to figure out if an S2000 is right for me. I have some concerns that I'm sure come up all the time, but I'd like to hear some personalized opinions, so please don't flame me! This is what noob/intro sections are for right?

I currently drive a 97 automatic Camry which I HATE. I bought it in a fit of responsibility to get me through grad school. I've been driving it almost 2.5 years now and i NEED something else before I go insane. School is done and I now have the $$$ to move on.

So I wanted a new car. Top choices were BMW 335 and an RX8. I really wanted an RX8, but they are just too unreliable. I don't trust the Renesis to last and remain problem free. Then the 335 is awesome, but costs $$$$. I was set to do it anyway till i decided to quit my job in a few months.

New plan! Find a car I can pay cash for now, that's fun, reliable, and will maintain high resale value, so I can flip it in a year or two and get something new new then. This lead me to consider an 02 or 03 S2000, hopefully between $15k-$18k. So here are my issues and current reasoning:

1. Space - I have no kids so a two seater doesn't bother me. Hauling large stuff will be a PITA but I can deal with it. This would be my only car, and I don't live in an area where I know many people to help haul shit.
2. I'm 6'4". I notice some tall folks on here so it must be possible to live with. I sat in one at a dealer and my knees touch the dash. Headroom was better than I thought it would be but not great. I'm sure the tall folks know what I'm talking about. This is my biggest concern, because I just can't gauge how i'll feel after driving 6 hours straight by sitting in it for 10 min. I saw that lower seat bracket. I'd look into that but I have no way to test it out before getting the car. Is there really no steering wheel adjustment? I couldn't find it and the sales lady said she didn't think it had it.
3. I make a lot of long drives. I go from Bay area to LA at least once or twice a month. In addition to the tight fit, will i grow to hate the hard ride and excess noise?
4. I'd rather have a hard top. I couldn't care less that the S2000 is a convertible, although maybe it'd be fun sometimes now that I think about it. I'm more interested in it because it's light, handles great, has good power, rwd, and is reliable. It's amazing how rare this combo is becoming in modern cars. Adding the hardtop is just more $ on a car I don't plan on keeping long term (unless i fall in love with it ).

I have yet to test drive one. I only had time to sit in an 07 at the dealer, but I'm not sure even a 30 min test drive will make the above any clearer. It seems like a lot of it adds up to tell me not to get this car. I made the mistake of being too logical last time and ended up with a shitty Camry, but I also don't want to be stupid either.

Any honest opinions for me? Maybe even suggest other cars I should look at in the $15-$20k range.

Thanks everyone! Sorry about the length!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, your definitley a tall one. i'm 6'1" 230 lbs., and i find the car pretty comfy. i've done numerous trips from va. beach to chicago, and it was alright. but you being 6'4" is pushing it. but with a car in the 15-20k $ range, i would say that the s2k is one of the best. especially for reliability this is definitley a tough choice. make sure you take your time with this, get plenty of test drive time, just so down the road you dont look back on this and kick yourself in the a$$. oh, and welcome to the site
Old 01-26-2007, 02:42 PM

If you have to ask, then it's not.

Seriously, the S2000 is not only not for everyone, it's not for very many people. It's certainly not for someone who doesn't fit comfortably in it and who doesn't love convertibles, and who is going to be doing plenty of highway miles in a car that was meant for something else and someone else.

If you get over those issues, there's still the matter of the S's driving character. If you aren't planning on spending a whole lot of time cornering really hard, and a whole lot of time with the revs above 7000, then the S will be wasted on you.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by shrike,Jan 26 2007, 03:42 PM
If you have to ask, then it's not.

Seriously, the S2000 is not only not for everyone, it's not for very many people. It's certainly not for someone who doesn't fit comfortably in it and who doesn't love convertibles, and who is going to be doing plenty of highway miles in a car that was meant for something else and someone else.

If you get over those issues, there's still the matter of the S's driving character. If you aren't planning on spending a whole lot of time cornering really hard, and a whole lot of time with the revs above 7000, then the S will be wasted on you.
I love to corner and I love to rev! Despite currently driving a Camry, I am a car enthusiast. The long distance driving is just what it would have to do as my daily driver. There are also plenty of twisty mountain roads around here that I like to have some fun on. Once I have a competent car I plan on attending a driving school for fun and to help me get the most out of it.

My problem is I don't want to admit I don't fit!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by compliance,Jan 26 2007, 04:08 PM
My problem is I don't want to admit I don't fit!
you can replace the stock seats with racing models with really low profile mounting brackets, this will give you at least 2 inches of extra headroom. this entails extra cost but it's the only way.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm 5'8" and i fit fine.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 PM

if you plan on selling the s2000 in a year anyway, why dont you just keep your current car fora year and save some money for when you actually can get a new car? I doubt that you will enjoy the car for what it is if you are planning on selling it before you even get it. Up to you though, you may drive it for the first time and fall in love with it and then change your mind and never want to sell it. I think a test drive is definatly needed.

-Ian
Old 01-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Im 6'2 and I fit in there just perfect, and still have a few inches of head room. Just like everyone else said, take a test drive before you buy, and take a couple of other cars you have in consideration for a test drive also, then decide.
Good luck!!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.

I've driven pretty much everything out there but the S2000 at this point. Like I said earlier the RX8 is really my favorite out of those. It wasn't the fastest but I love the feel, and the 9000rpms! I think the S2000 will be similiar and more reliable. I'm going to try test driving in the next few days. Hopefully they let me stay out there for a while so I can get (un?)comfortable.

I think it will help that I am pretty slim. 6'4" 195lbs.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely test drive it man. I feel the car is much more nimble than the RX8. Only way to know for sure if you fit comfortably

Quick Reply: Is the S2000 right for me?