Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

s2000 test drive

Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Jul 14 2006, 02:12 PM
If you can find a car that's more fun to drive, buy it.
and let us know wich one.!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by promiseyou,Jul 14 2006, 07:03 PM
Theres so many cars out there with more power, similar handling, four doors, and luxury in that same pricerange. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this, but I went into the test drive with preconcieved bias in favor of the s2k, and was definitely suprised.

What made you guys choose the s2k over other similar priced cars?
Like you said there are many choices, every car is a comprimise of one sort or another. You have to think about how you will use the car, and what you really want-- outright speed, luxury, 4 doors, convertable-- these are all choices because no car has it all. For what it is, the S is IMO be best pick in sport cars under $40k. Which makes it the worst choice is luxury 4 doors under $40k.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM

Why was the top up?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM

I was surprised by the stiffness of the suspension the first few days I had the car, as well, and we have tons of construction around here. After the third day, I was used to it; and now, after 2 months, I wish it were stiffer.

I would personally advise you to go test drive the S again now that your preconceptions are dissipated.

You're coming from a FWD comfortable car to a sports car - I did basically the same going from you Accord EXv6 to the S. Just have to give it some time.

Dave
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Project22a,Jul 14 2006, 11:51 AM
Why was the top up?
The car was sitting in a open parking lot at the dealers, and here, you never know when its going to rain. I should have taken the top down, but I forgot because i was too distracted by the digital tach

Thx for the advice guys
Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought my 2004 with 2k miles in the mid 20s.

Look for a used one.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM

I am fortunate enough to own a G35 (correct-wheel-drive) sedan as well as the S. For the (ballpark) price of a new version of either, you may be able to purchase used, sorry-previously owned, examples of each. Both bullet-proof, both satisfying to drive in their own right(s). Best of both worlds - comfy, quiet, 4-dr. 5AT for passive rainy days, the S for everything else. BTW, no lack of torque in the G!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:14 PM

Here are my thoughts:

The suspension is actually softer than what I expected; I was expecting a really rough ride in the S2000.

The FR/front mid-engine layout, 50/50 weight distribution, precise 6-speed transmission, rigid chassis, xenon lights (yes ... I love bling), great handling out-of-the-box, tight seats, and simple interior with no gadgets were what I was looking for. The S2000 virtually filled in all the major (not all) complaints that I had with the DC2R and BB6 Prelude. Of course, there are stupid things that I don't like about the S2000 as well, but they are relatively unimportant compared to my other top priorities -- at least for now.

Contrary to some people, I wasn't looking for a convertible (I want a 2-door car), and wasn't too fond of the digital gauge cluster and the looks of the car. I feel that the car looks decent and clean, but not super hawt.

One thing that's nice about the S2000 is that there is only one engine option and no auto tranny, and that the car is designed for its layout/purpose. I hate it when car manufacturers just chop the roof off a coupe and think that they just made a convertible, or just add two more doors to the same platform and think they could make a coupe out of a sedan. A lot of times the handling characteristics mess up as a result.

There is one thing that I have still yet to find from other cars: the fun factor. The fun factor in the S2000 is truly hard to beat (at least in reasonably priced production cars like MR2, Prelude, ITR, E46 M3, C and SL class, 350Z, TT & A4, 996 & 993 non-turbo 911s, etc). I haven't driven Ferraris before ... so can't compare against that!

Anyway ... good luck with your decision and purchase down the road!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:16 PM

reasons i bought it:

-not a 4 door

-build quality; being in its 6th model year combined with honda reputation,
i figured this car would definately be mechanically perfected

-looks; like you said, drop dead gorgeous

-power...i figured any new model sports car would be faster than my old 110 hp 91 crx

-ability to transform from covertible or coupe via hardtop option

-not too common on the road...at least where i drive around

-something alluring about the high revving motor

compromises:

-blind spots....well it is really bad for when im parking/backing out, but top down cures it
for me... and mirrors all the way out usually takes care of the blind spots for driving.

-power...i figured any new model sports car would be faster than my old 110 hp 91 crx

-MY06 rims.... i thought the 05's looked better....but these are good enough

-stereo...eh

good luck on your decision
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Man you guys think the S2k is a Stiff Ride?? When i got mine i thought it was soo like Smooth... But I did drive a Evo and that thing is SOO bumpy.

Quick Reply: s2000 test drive