Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

San Francisco, Childhood dream fulfilled - Year 2000 S2000

Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts
Default San Francisco, Childhood dream fulfilled - Year 2000 S2000

Some of you may know that I've been passively searching for my childhood dream car. My original plan was to make a purchase next March (2019). But I've been looking at listings to see what's out there and just how much should I expect to fork up for what is essentially, a toy.

I also had a few preferences: AP2, yellow/red/Suzuka Blue/Blue Pearl, below 80,000miles.

With that being said, I found this absolute gem at 136,000miles for a price that can only be categorized as highway robbery.

Pros:
- Mechanically bone stock
- Mechanically strong
- Maintenance up to date
- Clean carfax
- Roof replaced with no rip or anything suspicious, rear glass installed (in place of the year 2000 plastic thing)
- Nothing suspicious in the interior
- Tinted windows look professionally done
- At 136,000 miles, seat bolsters aren't even flat!
- Previous owner did extensive sound insulation. Much appreciated, I can't imagine how I would tolerate without it on highway speeds.
- (lack of) $$$. If you guys are interested in how much I paid for it, write in the comments and I will disclose.

Cons:
- Insulation added ~30lbs as the previous owner claimed, can care less
- Tires have tread but are old, will need fresh tires soon.
- Paint fade on a small area on the surface of the rear bumper, can't tell unless you get up close.
- Paint crack on the side mirrors, can't tell unless you get up close.
- Paint imperfection on the front bumper (1) duct tape looking square right next to the H (2) owner did what he could to correct front end rock chips

Maintenance done prior to the handshake:
- Rear differential fluid changed
- Coolant flushed and replaced with Honda OEM coolant
- Spark plugs replaced with OEM
- Honda air filter replaced
- Engine oil changed with the blue Honda oil filter

Of course my preference was set on a lower mileage AP2 and the color of my choices. But my preferences mean nothing in the face of a pristine conditioned car for a highly reasonable price.

Future plans:
- AP2 Silverstone front bumper
- AP2 Silverstone rear bumper
- AP2 headlights
- AP1 tailights eventually, just spotted slight condensation on the side marker.
- AP2 v1 wheels, or other 17' wheels, but definitely new tires

I want to say thank you to the previous owner, if you are reading this, thank you for helping me out last night. You definitely went above and beyond.

Also, to the two other potential buyer, please accept my apologies, I know you wanted the car just as much and I wish you luck in your search!

Yes, that white Mazdaspeed 3 is mine
Old 10-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Looks great! The AP2V1 reproduction wheels will mount with no modifications to anything including the ABS and speedometer calibrations since the proper tires are the same outside diameter as the 16" tires on the car now. I've seen no bad reviews on these wheels. Running "CR spec" tire sizes (215F/255R) will dial out a little oversteer. Watch your corners on old tires.

-- Chuck
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Looks great! The AP2V1 reproduction wheels will mount with no modifications to anything including the ABS and speedometer calibrations since the proper tires are the same outside diameter as the 16" tires on the car now. I've seen no bad reviews on these wheels. Running "CR spec" tire sizes (215F/255R) will dial out a little oversteer. Watch your corners on old tires.

-- Chuck
How else can I minimize the oversteer nature of the early AP1's? I can drive but I definitely will not categorized myself as "skilled".

I'd like to learn what I can do to minimize oversteer without doing coilovers if at all possible, thank you!

*EDIT*

How will the AP2v1 "reproduction" wheel mount on without a change to speedometer? Aren't they 17' and I would have to compensate with a lower profiled tires? Unless I'm missing something here, thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
How else can I minimize the oversteer nature of the early AP1's? I can drive but I definitely will not categorized myself as "skilled".

I'd like to learn what I can do to minimize oversteer without doing coilovers if at all possible, thank you!

*EDIT*

How will the AP2v1 "reproduction" wheel mount on without a change to speedometer? Aren't they 17' and I would have to compensate with a lower profiled tires? Unless I'm missing something here, thanks!
Don’t worry about speedometer compensation going to a 17 inch wheel, that’s overthinking things to the max.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc

Don’t worry about speedometer compensation going to a 17 inch wheel, that’s overthinking things to the max.
Oh no no, I'll have the speedometer to match. (less tire) I was just confused as to what @Chuck S meant. As far as I know, AP2v1 wheels are 17's, and AP1 wheels are 16's.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting @Chuck S ? Haha sorry if that was the case!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Oh no no, I'll have the speedometer to match. (less tire) I was just confused as to what @Chuck S meant. As far as I know, AP2v1 wheels are 17's, and AP1 wheels are 16's.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting @Chuck S ? Haha sorry if that was the case!
lol, whatever you say
Old 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Just run the stock Ap2 tire sizes on the Ap2 wheels and the overall diameter is the same.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats!

i live in the South Bay and have a very similar AP1. Just took this am. Plan to upgrade slowly. We may share the progress.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc

lol, whatever you say
Just checked... and you were right, haha sorry man. 1 day into a S2000 ownership and I'm already making a fool out of myself.

@Chuck S ignore my tags, but hello anyways!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Just run the stock Ap2 tire sizes on the Ap2 wheels and the overall diameter is the same.
Will do, thanks!

Quick Reply: San Francisco, Childhood dream fulfilled - Year 2000 S2000