Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

So new to this...

Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So new to this...

Hey everyone. I'm not one of the "usual" newbies that is simply asking for some basic questions about a S2000. I need much, much more.

Anyway, I'm a 19 year old college student without a car. For as long as I can remember, the S2K has been my dream car and I want nothing more than to have my hands on it. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now but I'm going to start saving up now. (I have about 3k saved up and another potential 4k from family already)
I just have a few questions that I'd really appreciate some help with. So here goes.

1. I've never had my own car, although I've driven many times before. (I don't actually know how to drive stick.) I don't want to drive my 'dream car' just to wreck it in a few months.. Is an S2000 right for me? Or should my first car be a pile of metal that I play around with first?
2. My budget is around $8,000 - $11,000. Low, I know, but I was wondering what year/model can I realistically get with this budget?
3. What year/model is the best for a person that just wants to casually drive around in a roadster, but still have fun? Basically, I don't plan on modding it and investing a ton of money to make it look nice and stuff. I just want a fun, reliable car.
4. Last question. How many miles on an odomoter does it usually take for a S2K to start degrading? I know it really depends on the previous owner, but still, what is a rough estimation?

Again, sorry for newbie questions but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the entire 'car' scene and I have a shit ton to learn. We've all got to start somewhere right? Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

Here’s my thoughts;

1. Are you living on campus? If so, I’d recommend waiting. I’ve lived on a few campuses, and while all were considered safe (per their required crime reports), I would not want to keep an s2k there. Unless you have a garage, off campus may not be any better (worse in many cases). That, combine with the fact that it’s your first car, I’d advocate for a beater (focus on your education). I don’t see this as an ideal first car. Plus, its handling can be tricky to a newbie.

2. Your price range means you’re getting an older, higher mileage car (your location will also impact the prices). I got my ’00 two years ago for $12k (with 58k miles). While I’ve seen some clean ones, most I’ve seen since then in that price range have had many more miles. Stay away from salvaged titles and heavily modified cars!!!

3. See #2.

4. That’s hard to answer. There’s some on here with a lot of miles, including some track time, that are still mechanically sound. Being a Honda, I wouldn’t overlook a 100k s2k if it has been treated well (maintenance). I’m sure there are some pushing 200k that still run and drive great.

Good luck
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Welcome!

Here’s my thoughts;

1. Are you living on campus? If so, I’d recommend waiting. I’ve lived on a few campuses, and while all were considered safe (per their required crime reports), I would not want to keep an s2k there. Unless you have a garage, off campus may not be any better (worse in many cases). That, combine with the fact that it’s your first car, I’d advocate for a beater (focus on your education). I don’t see this as an ideal first car. Plus, its handling can be tricky to a newbie.

2. Your price range means you’re getting an older, higher mileage car (your location will also impact the prices). I got my ’00 two years ago for $12k (with 58k miles). While I’ve seen some clean ones, most I’ve seen since then in that price range have had many more miles. Stay away from salvaged titles and heavily modified cars!!!

3. See #2.

4. That’s hard to answer. There’s some on here with a lot of miles, including some track time, that are still mechanically sound. Being a Honda, I wouldn’t overlook a 100k s2k if it has been treated well (maintenance). I’m sure there are some pushing 200k that still run and drive great.

Good luck
Thanks a lot for the reply! I was thinking, and I will probably just get a beater as my first car. But one day, I'll own an S2000.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM

for your price range your looking at over 85k miles and probably an ap1 (00-03)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

If you get an AP1 check out the link in my signature.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts