JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

AEM EMS on a basically stock ap2

Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default AEM EMS on a basically stock ap2

So i have an AEM EMS 1052u i have had sitting in a box for nearly 8 months now. I bought it with plans to go turbo but i have been slacking on the turbo commitment.

So I figure if i have it I might as well be using it.

I have an 04 Ap2 with a Mugen style intake and no other mods. What could I expect from having my s2000 tuned with the AEM EMS on a basically stock 2.2? I dont mind the $ if it will provide some gains for the time being.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AEM will allow you to do four things: lower the VTEC point, increase the rev limit, trim the air/fuel mix and advance the timing.

By lowering the VTEC point you can bring 20 ft/lbs or torque down to the high 4000s in terms of revs. This is completely changes the character of the car. You also get rid of the VTEC kick. While that kick is kinda fun it is not the most efficient way to go faster.

Upping the rev limit is simple. With an aftermarket exhaust and header, the F22 can make good power and be very safe up to 8500 RPMs. With stock header and exhaust you can still increase up to 8500 but will not see the same type of gains.

By trimming the fuel and playing with the timing, you can pull 15-20 hp more out of the motor across the entire band. TQ is increased as well. There is a tuner of the East Coast with the ID TWIZTID (I think) that uses eManage to pull these gains out of stock AP2s.

I would highly recommend getting an exhaust and possibly a header to give the AEM as much high rev airflow as possible to work with.

To sum it up, your peak HP gains might only be 20, but if you look at the curves you will be much flatter which is what ultimately drives performance.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4,Aug 1 2007, 05:58 PM
The AEM will allow you to do four things: lower the VTEC point, increase the rev limit, trim the air/fuel mix and advance the timing.

By lowering the VTEC point you can bring 20 ft/lbs or torque down to the high 4000s in terms of revs. This is completely changes the character of the car. You also get rid of the VTEC kick. While that kick is kinda fun it is not the most efficient way to go faster.

Upping the rev limit is simple. With an aftermarket exhaust and header, the F22 can make good power and be very safe up to 8500 RPMs. With stock header and exhaust you can still increase up to 8500 but will not see the same type of gains.

By trimming the fuel and playing with the timing, you can pull 15-20 hp more out of the motor across the entire band. TQ is increased as well. There is a tuner of the East Coast with the ID TWIZTID (I think) that uses eManage to pull these gains out of stock AP2s.

I would highly recommend getting an exhaust and possibly a header to give the AEM as much high rev airflow as possible to work with.

To sum it up, your peak HP gains might only be 20, but if you look at the curves you will be much flatter which is what ultimately drives performance.

wow.... u are fantastic
do u know how to get this work on 06 or 07 models?

thx
Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need a custom adapter to make this work with the MY06+ models. Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA is the only vendor and tuner shop that sells this, but I believe you have to purchase the whole package (AEM EMS, harness, etc) from them for a little over $2k as opposed to the harness alone.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 AM

With tuning it's closer to $3k.

Another company is working on an EMS for 06 that may be a little cheaper.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any other companies who sell the entire MY-06+ AEM/harness unit? Im in Florida, the closer the better.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Yo Kenneth,

personally I dont think an AEM would be worth it on a mostly stock car. You can do almost everything the AEM can with the Emanage Ultimate, and still retain the factory ECU for stock drivability and emissions.

If you sold the EMS you could pick up an Emanage ultimate and the plug and play harness (or wire it yourself since I'll bet you can) and use all the saved money for a tune plus have some spare change. With the EMU you can extract the same gains as the AEM EMS, but not have to deal with things like trying to tune it for stock like performance under cruise, or cold weather startup, etc.

Hell even if I were to turbo the car I would still go with the Emanage Ultimate now. For a piggyback it has come a really long way and it almost makes no sense to pull out the factory ECU now if you ask me.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Aug 2 2007, 08:53 AM
Yo Kenneth,

personally I dont think an AEM would be worth it on a mostly stock car. You can do almost everything the AEM can with the Emanage Ultimate, and still retain the factory ECU for stock drivability and emissions.

If you sold the EMS you could pick up an Emanage ultimate and the plug and play harness (or wire it yourself since I'll bet you can) and use all the saved money for a tune plus have some spare change. With the EMU you can extract the same gains as the AEM EMS, but not have to deal with things like trying to tune it for stock like performance under cruise, or cold weather startup, etc.

Hell even if I were to turbo the car I would still go with the Emanage Ultimate now. For a piggyback it has come a really long way and it almost makes no sense to pull out the factory ECU now if you ask me.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Aug 2 2007, 08:53 AM
I mostly agree.

You won't be able to lower the VTEC point or increase the rev limit, but it does everything else just as well and you retain the stock ECU.

Just make sure you find someone that can tune it. Partial throttle tuning on the emanage is not easy.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm under the impression that EMU can lower vtec point, but can't sustain partial throttle since ECU will compensate over time

Quick Reply: AEM EMS on a basically stock ap2