JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Amuse integrity concern...

Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Amuse integrity concern...

This would definitely be the place to ask this question so here goes...

I recently purchased the Powerhouse Amuse exhuaust manifold (header, I know) about 1 month ago (its still on order).

My concern is that I plan on wrapping this header with exhaust wrap to increase the scavenging effect and keep the engine bay cooler in doing so.

Okay the damn question finally.

Since its one of the lightest (if not the lightest) on the market, making me lead to believe its made of thinner material than the usual headers, would it be wise to wrap this particular header (keeping all that heat in)?
Reason why I'm so concerned is because a good friend had installed a set of headers and wrapped them (they were fairly cheap) for his big-ass Dodge Ram truck. About 1 year later or so he noticed that while observing the engine while it was running he saw this glowing red coming from one of the pipes.

Turns out one of the welds had split from the extra heat built up going thru the wrapped header.

I know Amuse makes some pretty awesome stuff, hence the high dollar value.

I'm just wondering if I might be making a mistake in wrapping these particular headers when they arrive at my door shortly. I had wrapped the Mugen headers on my del Sol with a swapped B16A engine in it and noticed no problems whatsoever.

I know this seems long but if anyone can help me out, its this awesome community of "JDM'ers" and the knowledgable staff at BP Automotive.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Ridgercr (Jeremy)
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

header wrap is a hit or miss thing. I plan on just getting JetHot done (inside and out) to whatever header I get (Amuse or ASM probably). I guess its better safe than sorry when you're playing around with an expensive header. It's only $150 or so. Your concerns are valid, it is a thinner steel than normal on the Amuse. Cracking depends on the quality of the steel they use as well as the quality of the wrap. Good quality steel, which I'm sure Amuse uses, won't fatigue quckly and crumble away under the wrap. Good quality wraps allow the metal to expand and contract which won't fatigue it as quickly. Amuse doesn't wrap their header, but they also have a vented hood.

-Andrew
Old 04-06-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think you should do it.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

For the price of that header why risk it?

I dobut the difference is very marginal.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are the answers I figure I'd get. It is a big risk if cracking could possibly happen down the road due to excessive warm-up and cool-down cycles incorporated with wrap material.

Damn, I bought 2 rolls of the stuff and if my bud had not mentioned what had happened to his truck I wouldn't have even bothered asking this question to begin with.

But I do suppose a good vented hood solves this problem too.

Just goes to show our hobby of tuning cars can be quite expensive......but still fun nonetheless.

-Ridgercr
Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do Jet-Hot.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:48 PM

i say go with swain white lighting. very thick coating. seems to be a bit better than the jet hot stuff from what ive seen
Old 04-06-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

IMHO, Just leave it alone and don't worry about the underhood temps. Not a problem until you make it one. I've never had heat problems with 450+ hp and no heat shield.

Amuse headers are absolutely the cats meow. Wipe them off with alcohol before starting the car to remove finger prints and enjoy the beautiful workmanship.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own the amuse header, and i say leave it alone...
Old 04-07-2006, 05:17 AM

Plus, it's Amuse you want to be able to show it off!

Quick Reply: Amuse integrity concern...