JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

The ASM Lounge

Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Feb 17 2010, 11:31 PM
Hmm soo asm runs a lightweight crank pulley? Have they had any problems? Everyone on this forum is scared to use one and advises against it...it would be nice to have some insight on this

They're running Toda Pulleys and they're lightweight replacement Pulleys. The sizing of the pulleys has been redesigned for smoother power delivery of the alternator. By modifying the alternator/crank pulley ratio, Toda was able to reduce the parasitic loss from the alternator for improved acceleration performance. Toda claims 8hp improvement on an engine bench but you probably won't be able to see anything on a wheel dyno. The pulleys are also made from T7 Duralumin so the fear of failure is dramatically minimized.

For more information and pricing:
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?f...roducts_id=1198

ASM is also currently designing the auto tensioner and idler pulleys to complete the set. Toda didn't produce these items because there's very little performance benefit in replacing them with lighter versions. They were also omitted from the Toda kit in an effort to keep costs down because CNC T7 is extremely expensive in Japan. However ASM customers felt that the set looked incomplete and mismatched so ASM is taking it upon themselves to produce the complementing pair.

Is it still in the design stages at this point, for more info:
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?f...roducts_id=1311
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If cnc milling of t7 is expensive in japan cant they ( toda,asm ) pull a greddy and use a usa warehouse to complete products at a lower cost yet still stay true to their stringent workmanship ??
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Posting my single rare ASM part...ASM Race Catch Can. I believe it's the only one in the US. Had it custom anodized black to go better in the engine bay. The battery is a Varley Red Top 15, same battery that ASM uses/used with their set-up and believe it's the only battery that will fit perfectly.

Name:  IMG_7960.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  82.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
satoo7 (07-20-2022)
Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: ^awesome catch can!

I think though that the major concern with using lightweight pulleys like that is that the crank pulley does not have a harmonic damper.

At least in the Prelude community, there was one instance that a motor failed and was using an Unorthodox Racing lightweight pulley. This scared pretty much every Prelude owner into not ever running a lightweight pulley. Then later, the shop who came out with the initial information said that the failure could have been due to improper installation of other engine components. That didn't really help though because the damage was already done and due to that one incidence, pretty much no Prelude owners run a lightened crank pulley.

Logically thinking though, as long as the pulley is balanced to an extreme tolerance, there shouldn't be any wobble at higher RPMs. I could see problems arising if the pulley was slightly unbalanced, and at speed, it would just wobble the crank to death.

I just did some research on the topic, and it seems like it's still up for debate. I wonder if we'll ever know 100%

-Colin
Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Kind of scary. Im sure there were other mods than just the ud pulley and it took the blame..although any motor mod must be heavily considered, anything other than stock and you have to accept failure
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM

rephrase, edit.... failure as in the sense that its a chance your willing to take when you install aftermarket parts.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Any more pics of the race catch can, i think i remember seeing it somewhere else but cant find the pics. What was the price for the can compared to the street.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked it up from a member that often gets in rare parts from Japan. I don't believe ASM has ever sold them in the US and am not sure if they were sold in Japan. I will try to get some good pics soon, but for now, that's all I have.

Ryan
Old 02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dantediss,Feb 18 2010, 12:36 PM
If cnc milling of t7 is expensive in japan cant they ( toda,asm ) pull a greddy and use a usa warehouse to complete products at a lower cost yet still stay true to their stringent workmanship ??
These products are designed for Japanese domestic sales only and 90% of their sales are domestic. Whereas, other companies design products specifically for USDM use so logistically that wouldn't make any sense for Toda/ASM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy,Feb 18 2010, 03:20 PM
I picked it up from a member that often gets in rare parts from Japan. I don't believe ASM has ever sold them in the US and am not sure if they were sold in Japan. I will try to get some good pics soon, but for now, that's all I have.

Ryan
We have sold a few of them and they are still in production. We just don't list it on our website because it is designed only for LHD applications where the battery sits on the opposite side of the car.