JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

F20C to the Max

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthimageS2k,Apr 29 2008, 10:52 PM
Well looks like the power up to 10k just isn't possible since there aren't any cams designed that can make power that high. But the build will still go on and I'll stick with a 9000 redline and use an AP2 crank with custom rods to allow for the pistons I have to work as the compression height is too high with the stock rods.
We have a local guy with a cam design program that is very very good. He designed a set for a Honda race team but it was extremely pricey, something like $6k. Now if we could all go together and... I'm sure you could get some designed and custom ground but IMO is it worth it for only a few ponies? I'd rather just bump compression, 5 angle valve job and run it with a really nice tune.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 PM

FWIW my car un-tuned keeps up pretty nicely with my buddies comptech on 8psi and 4.44 gears. Second gear we're dead even, from a interstate roll he pulled about a half car on me from 70-120ish.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShocK,May 2 2008, 06:20 PM
We have a local guy with a cam design program that is very very good. He designed a set for a Honda race team but it was extremely pricey, something like $6k. Now if we could all go together and... I'm sure you could get some designed and custom ground but IMO is it worth it for only a few ponies? I'd rather just bump compression, 5 angle valve job and run it with a really nice tune.
Updates so far are that I'm back to the drawing board again....I can either go with using the mahle 11.5:1C/R pistons I have with an AP2 crank and a little bit shorter than stock rods, or I can go with a J's racing 2.2 stroker kit, or J's racing pistons and carillo rods with stock AP1 crank. My biggest concern is not having to sleeve the block so I'm limited to what pistons I can use. I think it would be a great idea if someone could make a list of all the available FRM friendly pistons for the S. (I will work on this as I find them and I'll either post them here or start another thread that hopefully can get stickied eventually, or MAYBE WE CAN FINALLY GET AN N/A thread, but i doubt that'll happen.....)

My head is almost finished at the shop, all ferrea parts(including valve guides) and now I just need to find some decent cams (hytech or toda spec C) and figure out my bottom end....

P.S. depending on cam profile I will possibly send the head back out and see if the shop can gain some flow and power by porting. I'm working with a very reputable shop where not possible usually isn't part of their vocabulary and their tech is giving me some great advise on the whole build when questions come up. But I'm still undecided as to my main goal with the bottom end.....

sorry for a long post.....
Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 PM

JDM Honda pistons are 11.5 or 11.7?
Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 AM

JDM pistons are 11.7
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 AM

this could get a really informative thread man!

my ideas:
* whatever you are doing to the bottom >put emphasis on strong rods! (I'd recommend Carillo H-shaft)
* I'd rather increase the C/R than going 2.2 (or even more). >just imagine the piston speed at 9k with the longer stroke!!
* ever heard of Woessner Pistons? They offer 12.5 C/R pistons.
Not sure if they are available outside of Europe though (it's another German manufacturer)
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by McHeizer,May 6 2008, 03:18 AM
this could get a really informative thread man!

my ideas:
* whatever you are doing to the bottom >put emphasis on strong rods! (I'd recommend Carillo H-shaft)
* I'd rather increase the C/R than going 2.2 (or even more). >just imagine the piston speed at 9k with the longer stroke!!
* ever heard of Woessner Pistons? They offer 12.5 C/R pistons.
Not sure if they are available outside of Europe though (it's another German manufacturer)
I'm still debating if I want to pursue high rpm power or mid-high range usable power. If I go with a 2.2L I will just use the parts with the J's kit or the Toda kit. With the 2.2 I will still have the capability of reving to 9k, but only on short occasions, I will most likely shift at 8,500 when road racing and save 9 for saving a shift to a turn or if I ever want to drag for a time slip. If I stay 2.0 then I will use carillo rods and I haven't decide what pistons yet. I do not want to have to sleeve the block so I need high silicon content pistons. I'm thinkin of J's racing pistons with the carillo rods for the 2.0 build and stock crank. The toda pistons are too high of a compression for CA gas. Anything close to 12:1C/R I will be looking at running a can of octane booster with every tank. I have never heard of Woessner pistons, if they make FRM friendly pistons it's worth a look.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 AM

bump
Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM

I never got to dyno my car, long story short a lady pulled out in front of me and I have since taken what parts I wanted and sold the car. Now I have an AP2 and will be adding things here and there so keep posted guys. Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Added J's intake + J's header with dynoplot.

On a side note I put J's header + T1R 70mm on my AP2 and can say it definitely woke the car up in the 5-k rpm range. I can hopefully pick up a NEO and play around with it. then post up some dyno's.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 AM

Update on my build and my FINAL decision on what parts to use.
MY C/R will be about 13:1 using Mahle gold series honda prelude pistons with Carrillo pro-A rods with the stock crank micro polished and possibly knife edged. I will need a 2mm headgasket to drop compression and to allow for enough clearance. I've been running calculations for a good month or two to make sure everything numerically works out. If i ended up doing the build and the clearances aren't enough then it's no sweat and I'll just ditch the pistons and go with the Toda pistons.

Quick Reply: F20C to the Max