JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

which flywheel to go with?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which flywheel to go with?

Gonna go with an ACT clutch kit *street kit*..

but dont know which flywheel to go with:

ACT, Spoon & Toda

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/S2000/MODAFLY/

share please
Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Former Moderator

this might be a good JDM question...
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM

I have ACT, afaik it's the lightest. I don't notice that much difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fidanzza 8 pounds.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM

It says the Spoon is 4.2kg, or 9.24lbs.

No info on the Toda's weight so far. My buddy has one on a CTR and his is light as crap though, FWIW.

ACT has indirect info, saying it is 8.8lbs. on the Integra's "Race" flywheel and 12.x on the Integra's "Street" flywheel, so one would assume the weights would be similar for the S2000's setup, so you're looking at somewhere around 12-13lbs for the ACT.

BTW, what are you actually hope to accomplish with this flywheel? Getting one too light, like an 8lb. Fidanza, will suck on a basically stock car that you drive every day, this is why ACT makes a "Street" flywheel ... if lighter was always better there would be no need for the "Street" setup. If your flywheel is too light for your supporting mod, you will drop too many revs in between shifts and fall out of your powerband.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM

NA=light
boosted=medium light

with boost you need the inertial momentum in the flywheel so boost pressure does not drop suddenly between shifts and you carry more torque.

in a NA application you want the motor to rev as quick as possible and lightening the rotating mass frees up horsepower, whether your motor is stock or not if you are NA its a great upgrade, I noticed no ill effects from the installation of the flywheel with stock motor and ACT clutch, unless you consider feathering the gas a little taking off from a stop to be a bad thing, who does'nt do that anyway. You get used to that just like getting used to anything else. I have had my ACT Fidanza combo for 45,000 miles now........Love it!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM

getting it for NA application.

I have had a fidanza on my old B series..loved it and i really dont mind getting one for my S when its cheaper than the rest.

This Fidanza??

Should i go for the fidanza and leave all the other?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by attack666,Aug 30 2007, 08:56 PM
getting it for NA application.

I have had a fidanza on my old B series..loved it and i really dont mind getting one for my S when its cheaper than the rest.

This Fidanza??

Should i go for the fidanza and leave all the other?
thats it,, two piece so you can change out the friction surface when it wears out.

I personally like the Fidanza, they use good quality materials, but so do the others.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

A lot of ppl mention light flywheels and freeing up power but when i think you will get/feel the most out of it when you rev match. The OEM S flywheel feels SO heavy, it takes forever to get the revs up to rev match...a lightened flywheel would definitely help

Another reason not to get TOO light of a flywheel for street cars is that you have a higher chance of stalling at stops. But i hardly hear of this happening.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Spoon flywheel a few years back and haven't had an issue with it yet. But yes, as others have mentioned, it just comes second nature to blip the gas right before driving away at a stop, especially with the A/C on a hot day. If you're not careful, you will stall and then others will honk their stupid-ass horns at you. Its happened to me a few times.

I chose the ACT clutch as a replacement also but they utilize the OEM disc and after a couple of hard launches, which I chose not to do again, I swapped out the disc for a TODA unit as my springs on the original disc were loosening up to the point of hard shift engagement.

On another note when choosing the Spoon flywheel, they also produce a lightened, or rather, matched propeller shaft (drive shaft for us over here ). It should be priced under $400. So thats something to consider also.

Hope I could help.

Quick Reply: which flywheel to go with?