JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

JDM AP1 Headlights

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDM AP1 Headlights

I know the jdm AP1 headlights are a direct replacement as far as size goes. What about the bulbs and ballasts and plugs? what will I have to do to make the JDM headlights work on my USDM '02?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM

anyone?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The bulbs and ballasts should transfer over fine and it is plug and plsy from there. The only thing is that jdm fixtures are designed to shine towards the left side of the road instead of the right side of the road.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Are they adjustable?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes, the beam height is adjustable just like the normal OEM headlights.

Put your car about 10ft away from a wall at night. The beam pattern on the drivers side (USDM) will look like a set of stairs. The beam will get higher and higher, starting low from the left to the right. The passenger side does not have the distinct cut off in the beam, it just arcs the entire right side of the wall. For the JDM headlights flip what I just said.

The JDM passenger side (you're new driver side) will have the same beam pattern as your old USDM passenger side. It wont have the cut out on the beam so technically it could 'blind' oncoming traffic. You can turn an adjustment knob in the back of the headlight to raise and lower the beam pattern. It is really not as bad as you think, you can get away with leaving it as is if you really want, but I'd suggest pulling up against a wall and playing with the knob to get a feel for how high and far the beam is.

I have had 4 or 5 sets of the JDM headlights now, and usually they are all plug and play. I do recall receiving a set a long time ago that I had a hard time getting either the little wedge bulb, or the plug in that held the little wedge bulb to lock in place. I can't remember specifically what the problem was, but I can remember that it was nothing an exacto blade couldn't fix. If you plan on keeping your OEM headlights I believe all of the sockets and required bulbs, ballasts will transfer right over.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Feezy
Yes, the beam height is adjustable just like the normal OEM headlights.

Put your car about 10ft away from a wall at night. The beam pattern on the drivers side (USDM) will look like a set of stairs. The beam will get higher and higher, starting low from the left to the right. The passenger side does not have the distinct cut off in the beam, it just arcs the entire right side of the wall. For the JDM headlights flip what I just said.

The JDM passenger side (you're new driver side) will have the same beam pattern as your old USDM passenger side. It wont have the cut out on the beam so technically it could 'blind' oncoming traffic. You can turn an adjustment knob in the back of the headlight to raise and lower the beam pattern. It is really not as bad as you think, you can get away with leaving it as is if you really want, but I'd suggest pulling up against a wall and playing with the knob to get a feel for how high and far the beam is.

I have had 4 or 5 sets of the JDM headlights now, and usually they are all plug and play. I do recall receiving a set a long time ago that I had a hard time getting either the little wedge bulb, or the plug in that held the little wedge bulb to lock in place. I can't remember specifically what the problem was, but I can remember that it was nothing an exacto blade couldn't fix. If you plan on keeping your OEM headlights I believe all of the sockets and required bulbs, ballasts will transfer right over.
Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I was wondering about... Would you happen to be interested in getting rid of a clean set, Feezy?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you can buy euro type they are the same as jdm (exceptt UKDM)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I could be wrong but I thought the turn signal socket on the jdm ap1s were a different size and were a pain in the ass to source??
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
I could be wrong but I thought the turn signal socket on the jdm ap1s were a different size and were a pain in the ass to source??
Yeah, that's the part I was thinking of. You can fix whatever the problem is with an exacto knife.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Well that settles that, as soon as i find a clean set for a good price I am gonna pull the trigger on the JDM assemblies.

Quick Reply: JDM AP1 Headlights