JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

JDM AP1 Headlights

Old 07-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1373316676' post='22653837
[quote name='Feezy' timestamp='1373312317' post='22653649']
Like I said, you angle the driver side down. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than just blinding everyone on the opposite side of the road. Even then, I can't think of a freeway that the walls are not high enough to block the beam from hitting oncoming traffic. Really, the only time you're going to be hitting people with the edge of the beam is on surface streets, from a distance.

If you really wanted to you could bake the headlights open and swap the projectors out with those from the USDM versions. Then you get the JDM lights with the USDM beam pattern.
This is so freakin' stupid I can't begin to tell you. Do whatever the f you want, as long as it doesn't bother anyone else. And this does, I don't car how much you adjust it, it's gonna bother oncoming traffic. Are you telling me you can't ever see the headlights from oncoming traffic? If you can see them, they can see you. Duh. Then, if you lower the beam enough, they aren't helping you see any better. Just fing grow up.

Done.

I understand what you're saying in regards to bothering other people, but if you want to play that game go start finger pointing at loud exhausts, test pipes, turbo kits, or any other number of modifications that people do to their cars that could potentially bother other people.

You feel the need to troll so have at it. Direct whatever you want at me, I don't really care. I was here answering questions and providing information to people.

Done.
[/quote]

Sorry dude, I can't hear your car or smell your car from the other side of the road. But am sick of people who never bother to aim their headlights when they go out of adjustment, let alone do it on purpose. Do yourself a favor, ask 20 people, over the age of 18, who don't modify their cars, if they've ever been bothered by somebody's oncoming headlights. How many people do you think will say "yes"? Probably 20. It's just about caring about other's, and trying not to be a dick.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm happy you feel that way. I won't put a test pipe, or an obnoxious exhaust on my car because I don't want to irritate or bother other people. I swapped all orange bulbs into my headlights so that they still flashed the same colors as they would if the diffuser was there. I adjusted mine down so they didn't bother people as much, and I purposely try to not take the car out at times that the headlights would need to be on (but that's for a different reason).

I absolutely guarantee you that the JDM headlights are only a fraction of the nuisance that the blue, purple, or HID's in non-HID housing headlights are. I modify cars, and those headlights bother the hell out of me. So do lifted trucks headlights, but there is little I can do about either one.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
I'm happy you feel that way. I won't put a test pipe, or an obnoxious exhaust on my car because I don't want to irritate or bother other people. I swapped all orange bulbs into my headlights so that they still flashed the same colors as they would if the diffuser was there. I adjusted mine down so they didn't bother people as much, and I purposely try to not take the car out at times that the headlights would need to be on (but that's for a different reason).

I absolutely guarantee you that the JDM headlights are only a fraction of the nuisance that the blue, purple, or HID's in non-HID housing headlights are. I modify cars, and those headlights bother the hell out of me. So do lifted trucks headlights, but there is little I can do about either one.
Ya know, you're a pretty nice guy for me being a bit of a dick. I'm surprised you didn't react more negatively to my comments. So sorry for being a bit of a dick.

It may sound a little weird, but headlights have been a strong interest of mine for many years. I modified headlights for better lighting back in the 70's. Yes, I'm 50 yrs old. I even imported flush mounted headlights from Germany back in the 80's for CRX's before the govt. let anything but round and rectangular lights on cars.

So, all my passion for lighting has been to make it better. Both brightness and beam pattern. So, it irks me when that isn't the thing that happens when somebody modify's their lights. I'm f-ing pissed of at car manufacturerers for the crappy HID lighting that they sometimes produce. It's amazing how bright some of the trucks are, isn't it. Like the damn sun, but it's just this big blob of light that blinds you when they are behind you.

I'm sort of sensitive to the S2000, as it, and the 3rd gen TL are know around the world to have the best lighting in cars. Real lighting geeks actually buy the S2000 and TL projectors and put them in other cars if you can believe it.

If you really want to know about lighting, go to HIDPlanet.com
Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I try to have a level head when talking on the forums. I have an 'aggressive' way of talking/typing that usually comes off as hostile so I always try and be mindful of that when discussing things in text.

I figured you had a reason for being so strongly opposed to the modification of the headlights. That, and in my previous dealings with you (the So Cal thread, about the Indy event a few years back, mine was one of the cars that was damaged by a driver) you've been a pretty level headed guy, so I just figured there was a reason you were 'passionate' about the headlights.

The trucks are the absolute worst. My S2000 is lower than stock and when you get a lifted truck behind you with his cheap HID kit... oh man there is nothing worse. I get a blinding glare from the rear view and both side mirror. It's so aggravating.

I know the S2000 has some of the best HID's out there. I've always got friends looking for our projectors to retrofit into something else. The only thing I really hate about or headlights are the lenses. I really wish new replacements were available somehow.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by Feezy' timestamp='1373321771' post='22654013

Ya know, you're a pretty nice guy for me being a bit of a dick. I'm surprised you didn't react more negatively to my comments. So sorry for being a bit of a dick.

I'm really glad this ended well, as I was scrolling down I thought I was going to have remove some posts.

to both of you.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raikouS2K
I just moved my USDM AP2 to Japan. I had to purchase JDM AP1 (more affordable) lights because the actual projector beam is opposite. They were direct plug and play. The beam shape itself is not adjustable. It is designed in the projector. You could get away with JDM lights in the US but not USDM in Japan because I don't think anywhere in the states inspects cars like they do here. USDM is like __/-- and JDM is like --\__ , It will probably just annoy oncoming traffic.
just want to clarify.... the chrome ap1 headlights are direct plug and play on an ap2 from north america?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepertriX
Originally Posted by raikouS2K' timestamp='1369218613' post='22558988
I just moved my USDM AP2 to Japan. I had to purchase JDM AP1 (more affordable) lights because the actual projector beam is opposite. They were direct plug and play. The beam shape itself is not adjustable. It is designed in the projector. You could get away with JDM lights in the US but not USDM in Japan because I don't think anywhere in the states inspects cars like they do here. USDM is like __/-- and JDM is like --\__ , It will probably just annoy oncoming traffic.
just want to clarify.... the chrome ap1 headlights are direct plug and play on an ap2 from north america?
Yup, the only difference when going AP2 to AP1 is mounting the ballasts to the housing. Most people have made their own brackets to help support the ballast. Just remember when going AP1 to AP2 you have to do more modifications to get them to work.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McFab
I know the jdm AP1 headlights are a direct replacement as far as size goes. What about the bulbs and ballasts and plugs? what will I have to do to make the JDM headlights work on my USDM '02?
I did this swap 12 years ago in 2001. Nothing was needed. Everything swapped right over. Only negative I can recall was the drivers headlamp blinded folks. It was higher. Just adjust it and you are fine.

When 2004 rolled around I pulled them and went with the newer AP2 lights. They looked much better and cleaner.

In 2001 I remember paying like $700 brand new for the lights.