JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

JDM & the Economy

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JDM & the Economy

These days the JDM forum seems pretty slow. Most of the traffic is maintenance stuff, as opposed to buying decisions. Even the talk of new JDM parts has almost stopped completely, not just for the S, but for most cars. I know the aftermarket industry has taken a hit with the worldwide recession, but it seems to me like the JDM market has been especially hard hit.

I thought that the JDM market would be more resillient because it tends to be more high end, expensive products that cater to wealthier clients. These clients are normally not as hard hit by economic times as people who live paycheck to paycheck. But it seems, from this forum at least, that people have taken to buying cheaper domestic products instead of high-priced JDM parts.

It could just be that, as the S gets older and deteriorates in value, the average S2000 owner demographics shift. In the early to mid 1990s, if you saw someone driving an Integra Type R, it didn't have DC Sports parts on it, lets just say that. So maybe that's the case.

What are your thoughts? Have JDM-modified S2000s become rarer since the recession? Is it harder hit by the recession or by the shift in owner demographics? And what are your thoughts about how that effects the car scene as a whole, and the S2000 scene?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM

I would have to agree that due to the fact that the younger generations are buying the car for under 15,000. I highly doubt they would buy a Carbon Mugen hardtop for 7,000, a Amuse exhaust for over 2,000, or a carbon hood for over 2,000. They are looking more at the replicas! Why do you think most of the sponsors are selling replicas? Seriously all I see is complaining from the people under 2 years of their S2ki age on all the prices of all the products.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you're giving enough credit to domestic tuning products.

As much as I'd love to have a Genuine Mugen CF Hardtop, companies like Challenge/GTMotoring are making good products that are still high end, but without the ridiculous "It's JDM" markups.

The S2000 has been out long enough, so I don't see at people thinking JDM isn't good or people have stopped lusting after them. I just see it as people having more quality choices from other parts of the world that don't have the JDM Premium.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Jan 3 2011, 11:55 PM
I don't think you're giving enough credit to domestic tuning products.

As much as I'd love to have a Genuine Mugen CF Hardtop, companies like Challenge/GTMotoring are making good products that are still high end, but without the ridiculous "It's JDM" markups.

The S2000 has been out long enough, so I don't see at people thinking JDM isn't good or people have stopped lusting after them. I just see it as people having more quality choices from other parts of the world that don't have the JDM Premium.
I agree the people at GT Motoring are coming out with outstanding products, but besides them who else are you talking about?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The younger gens are coming from Honda-Tech, so replicas, Rotas will always exist.

It will all change in 10 years, like the NSX, as these breed become more obsolete.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from a Porsche 993 that I put a lot of money into and was stolen, I don't feel like modding this car and having this thing stolen, especially with all the theft going on in SoCal right now. It was pure heartbreak and kind of made me not want an exotic when the time is right. =( So that could be a real factor of why people wouldn't put on super expensive parts on their cars as well.

The Lambo tuning scene seems pretty crazy right now though, so maybe the general public isn't into the whole Japanese car thing as much anymore?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by travanx,Jan 4 2011, 06:50 AM
Coming from a Porsche 993 that I put a lot of money into and was stolen...
damn, people are stealing porsches...

I've also had a car stolen before and refuse to put high dollar mods on the S2k's exterior that calls attention from miles away. Its a very sick feeling to have your car stolen.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the recession played a big role, I think part of it is also what the trends/fads/scene is?
Early-2000's: lucky just to have an S2k? Comptech and Vortech S/Cs were dominant
Early-Mid 2000's: JDM started to become popular. Replicas starting to pop-up. Mugen and Spoon parts were dominant as well as Seibon replicas.
Mid-Late 2000's: JDM still popular as well as widebodies. ASM and J's Racing became dominant. Turbos coming onto the market
Late 2000's: Hellaflush is the new thing. Less interest in JDM. Offset and stance is everything. Used S2ks with clean titles go for as low as $5k.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

^tru dat
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Jan 4 2011, 01:53 PM
Its a very sick feeling to have your car stolen.
I have been fortunate not to have a car stolen, especially a modified one and would imagine it would be gutting! I did have a motorbike stolen though and coming back to it and seeing that it isn't there is pretty heart breaking!!

On topic though I feel that some products are justified in price but other things (replicas) have actually tempted me and I will be purchasing a set of ROTAs in the near future. I know there is a lot of stigma and I could afford real rims but could never feel comfortable driving it incase anything damages them... I would b

I am unsure if it is the UK's issue with overcharging on items (check vtecdirect.com) or if the parts in general, or recession or currency or just everything...

It Costs to Play

Quick Reply: JDM & the Economy