JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

JDM & the Economy

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well being an enthusiest and tuner / shop in this market i see alot of angles on this in my head. There are a few reasons ive seen a decline in the JDM market and its sales trends in the past 2 years.

1. Exchange rate - In the pase 2-3 years, the Yen has gone from 115:1 to 80:1 range. thats a HUGE percentage change. That means that all the parts retail cost are generally being raised that same 25-35% on average. This makes some of the expensive parts like ASM or Amuse, now cost that much more.

2. S2000 discontinued this past year - The car is no longer a current model, so its less attractive for tuning companies to develop new parts

3. S2000 owner demographic - When the car was newer and was 22-32k range for most used and new cars, owners typically had higher incomes and more disposable income for pricey mods. Today, S2000s can be had for under 10k regularly. This younger, and typically less cash rich demographic is less likely to spend as much on mods. Ive seen it first hand of course as a business. many more customers just look for whats cheapest, not what best, or best performance value

Even new part development for domestic companies like us at Challenge / GT Motoring. We are pretty selective on what we choose to pursue, as there are MANY choices out there for customers after 10 years of the cars development and replica parts. Its difficult to hit that sweet spot where you have a great quality part that enough people can afford. Youre often put on the same list as a knock off part that may be junk, but its half the price. JDM and US companies both have this same battle.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As part of that younger generation I'd have to agree on all the valid points made, but I'd also like to add that there is a greater abundance of said parts in circulation. Used parts sold at a fraction of the cost with minor imperfections or imperfections that can be lived with beat spending on new parts. And even when the specific parts are not in circulation, there's something else that falls in the same category that can be had. It's a combination of a flooded market (especially considering the amount of s2000's destroyed or deemed unrepairable.) and the enthusiasts seeking value.

As a current college student (All 4 of the S2000's I've owned were purchased at 10k or below) I'm happy to find used and affordable JDM parts when I can, but I'd settle for less if it's not a crucial component. It's nice to have nice things, but only if it's within the budget that fits my lifestyle.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to say that with all of the expensive jdm mods I have on the car, I have to be selective where I drive the car to and park. It is certainly not going to be a daily car.

If the thief wants to take the car badly enough. He will find a way to do it. Just make sure you have all coverage insurance on it.

As far as the replicas, you will pay big dollars for body shop to make them fit and paint. Most of the time after years the materials deterorated causing paint issues.

For the knock off wheels, it can cracked on small pot holes or curbs.
Now in fairness, if you hit a big pot holes or curbs all wheels will get damaged. It is the lack of quality, material and workmanship these knock off wheels have that deters me away form buying them.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally, i think one significant reason for this apparent lack of interest in jdm stuff is simply that US made stuff is getting a whole lot better. i would much rather buy domestic if i could and help our nation grow, rather than give our money away and screw our economy.

so, for instance, i have an evo x. i've done my research, and it turns out AMS, a US brand, actually makes the very best intercooler for that car, bar none, including of those costing 3x more from Japan. they also make the very best downpipe money can buy, which is still cheaper than the Japanese counter parts (HKS for one.) they also make a very unique exhaust, which I personally have. also, SSP, another US company, makes the very best MR trans cooler, bar none--better than the competitors from Japan. in my opinion, US totally outclasses any other nation for mods to the evo x, performance-wise, quality-wise, and in cost effectiveness!

as for the s2000.... have you seen the new short shifter from moddiction? the new catch can from alloy craft? and from gt motoring in this thread, their new roof? all these are at least as good, if not better than practically any offering from japan!, not to even mention their prices.

so, i say support our nation and buy domestically. export, not import. i'm glad to see US is stepping it up, and earning my $$$.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM

people need to hustle and work more. that's all. economy sucks, this sucks, that sucks, no opportunities are all excuses.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by krnmike,Jan 8 2011, 07:42 PM
people need to hustle and work more. that's all. economy sucks, this sucks, that sucks, no opportunities are all excuses.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 1 of the problems with some JDM companies is delivery times .
I've beem waiting for 4months before my Amuse bumper was finished and then had to wait for shipping . 10months ago I put a order at a Dutch company for Volk's CE28n in white . They said white is a custom colour so that will take a bit longer . Now after 10months I still don't know when our if they will arrive . Now maybe Prodrive GC-07j direct from ASM can come faster . I really hope so . because I'm sick of waiting on 4 wheels for 10months and still don't know a delivery date . Rota's cost less then half and are delivered a lot faster.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fads come and go, the JDM craze is no different. They'll always be a market for quality JDM products but hopefully we'll see less of the fan boys with headlights that point the wrong way.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mister x,Jan 9 2011, 11:07 PM
Fads come and go, the JDM craze is no different. They'll always be a market for quality JDM products but hopefully we'll see less of the fan boys with headlights that point the wrong way.

Quick Reply: JDM & the Economy