JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Knock off parts

Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TrophyFodder,Jun 17 2005, 02:19 PM] There is a difference between a knock off and a counterfiet.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:53 AM

I agree with you on that. The coke bottle shape is also copyrighted.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Ben

One major difference is that Microsoft is large enough to survive such damage. If this knock off thing goes un-checked for too long, we're going to see less and less companies producing and exporting innovative products.
I can speak from first hand experience...you guys already are seeing less and less new products due to this. I've been speaking about this problem for years and I dont want to continue on it because the converation always seems to get heated...but in short yes, the Aero parts industry is slowly decreasing because of the current situation. Everytime I place our orders with our Japanese partners (Top Secret, Ings, Varis, etc) I evaluate the market for current and potential knockoffs and it absolutely plays a part in my decision of what and how much to order and keep in stock.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ben,Jun 17 2005, 06:00 PM
I can speak from first hand experience...you guys already are seeing less and less new products due to this. I've been speaking about this problem for years and I dont want to continue on it because the converation always seems to get heated...but in short yes, the Aero parts industry is slowly decreasing because of the current situation. Everytime I place our orders with our Japanese partners (Top Secret, Ings, Varis, etc) I evaluate the market for current and potential knockoffs and it absolutely plays a part in my decision of what and how much to order and keep in stock.
I hear you, and its a shame that that is the case.

The other part that irks me is that people often say "if the JDM guys could get the products here quicker / cheaper I would buy authentic" but going and buying knock-offs leaves our JDM counterparts very little incentive to reduce the cost or ship more product over.

Hehe sorry if I rant guys, this issue really gets under my skin

Hopefully something will come of this initiative. I did however notice when flipping through the most recent Super Street that Seibon's full page ad doesn't feature any pictures of their knock-off hoods for the S2000. Only their TSII hood which I believe is an original design.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

While I can see how this goes along with the Original aftermarket parts vs knockoffs, I am sure their aim is the much bigger problems involving software, dvds, handbags and clothing, as opposed to going after actual companies like vis and seibon who make replicas. Although, I can see them going after those companies more to make an example of them.

I guess larger companies like vis and seibon can get away with that type of thing since Mugen, Top Secret, etc have no patents on their designs.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:12 AM

Ev why would SEMA be worried about replica handbags?

It's true that the legal initiatives cited are more global counterfeit initiatives, SEMA's involvement is strictly automotive based
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM
roo

Originally Posted by TepEvan,Jun 17 2005, 10:21 AM
I guess larger companies like vis and seibon can get away with that type of thing since Mugen, Top Secret, etc have no patents on their designs.
Only when nothing is done about them...

Patents are not really the issue, product designs are considered "trade dress" which you can protect. It's more of an issue of being a lose lose situation for the company having to hire a lawyer and invest large amounts of time and money to go after the company who is making counterfeit products.