JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Mugen NZ vs. Spoon adj. vs. Spoon Fixed

Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Mugen NZ vs. Spoon adj. vs. Spoon Fixed

Hi all.
I'm looking into suspensions for my 2005 S2K and I am very interested in the Mugen NZ, but at the price of approx. $3200-$3500 it has me looking to other options. For reference I have a 2002 Civic Si with the Mugen Sport suspension on it and it is by far the best set up that I have tried to date. This is why I am considering the NZ for the S, but it is VERY expensive.

One other option that I've come across are the ones from Spoon ($950 - $2650). Are there any other suspensions that I should be considering? Please understand I am only interested in something of very high quality. I don't want any ill handleing characteristics such as bad bump steer. I also don't NEED anything specifically for racing. Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
Old 10-11-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Spoon 5 way adjustables are nice. You can also get custom rates, which would help you. I don't like the rates with the Mugen coilovers, but I'm sure that they're tuned to be used with their sway bars. Aragosta is another option, they seem to be getting good reviews. If you can stretch, you could try the Amuse Hi-Tech dampers (Amuse spec Bilsteins). They have a street and circuit spec version. I'll trying out the Amuse street coilovers next, I hope. Other options out there that are the high quality you are talking about would probably be too harsh for the average driver. If you want a good street set, Tein FLEX, or if you want softer rates, Tein CS.

Also, bumpsteer is more of a function of the suspension geometry. If you want to slam your car for the look, get an anti bumpsteer kit. Go Fast Lab and J's have them.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Now that I have more time, it might be more beneficial for me to explain a little bit more of what I'm looking for. Here's what Id like:

1. Excellent build quality (Honda quality or better)

2. Lower ride height .75" to 1.25"

3. Factory ride quality... Equal to or moderately stiffer (no bump steer or ill-handling characteristics) (yes I'm aware that bump steer is a geometry thing)

4.Height adjustability not necessary (yes, I do understand that most good kits come with adjustability)

One of the reasons I had my eye on the Spoon kits (primarily the non-adjustable kit) is because I have heard that it is manufactured by Showa...the manufacurer that builds Mugen and Honda factory spec.

Any other issues or something that I haven't thought of ?

Thanks again in advance, Brian
Old 10-11-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

both of the "lower end" Spoon suspension components (the yellow shocks, and the black coilovers) are manufactured by Showa. I'm not sure about their new crazy race coilover they have, though. It sounds like a set of springs and shocks might be right up your alley. Espelir springs have been getting good reviews, and I believe you have two different kits to choose from. Another alternative would be the Swift Sport Mach kit. Swift springs have a very good ride quality. Match that to a set of Koni Yellow shocks and you should be all set. I have a set of Koni Yellows on Comptech adjustable springs (coilover sleeves), and when you put the Konis on soft, the car rides better than stock. When you crank it up, the ride is firmer than stock. There is a nice large adjustment range, plus Koni shocks are awesome quality. If you're set on a true coilover set up, the Spoon 5 ways (black ones) with some softer springs would probably be what you are looking for. I suggest the adjustables only because of the ability to change from softer than stock to firmer than stock. Being stuck with one dampening setting usually sucks (unless its the Amuse kit).
Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks.
Just so we're on the same page, here's the one's I'm refering to from Spoon:

Damper kit Fix Type S2000
51600-AP1-000
http://www.spoonsports.us/catalog/s2000/suspension.htm

Amungst the set ups I have tried...

1997 Integra GS-R with Tokico Illuminas and Eibach Pro-kit springs

1990 Civic Si with Tokico non-adjustables and Eibach Pro-kit springs

2002 Civic Si with factory struts/shocks and Progress springs (worst combo I've ever tried)

2002 Civic Si with Mugen Sport suspension kit (Bar none the BEST set-up I have ever experianced) (great ride...rock solid stability...noise free...etc) (If Mugen made this kit for the S2K I probably wouldn't look any further)

With the systems I've listed the Mugen, in my opinion, is really in another class. The Tokico / Eibach combos were good, but pale in comparison to the Mugen. This is why I don't feel that a "Spring/Shock" combo will be what I'm looking for. Due to the fact that I've tried this Mugen kit and am very content with it, I'm a little aprehensive to try another "combo" as opposed to a system.

I have also experianced a similar situation with a friends 2002 Maxima. He's tried Tokico Illuminas with: Maxspeed springs, Eibach springs, Tein springs, and the ride of his car (although it's a different car) just isn't "right" yet. I am hoping that with my S2K I won't have to try a bunch of different systems before I get it "right".

Thank you again for your time, Brian
Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Mugen NZ set-up for 30,000 daily-driven miles now. As you should know, these coilovers are also manufactured by Showa. No bumpsteer, but these coilovers are extremely stiff. Build quality is typical Mugen. You can vary the handling characteristics of the car. Mine is less prone to snap oversteer than before, handling is more neutral as well. You can lower the ride height as much as you want. My lowering is minimal as I am looking for optimal wheel alignment. Ride quality sucks, but I am young and do not have a bad back. I definitely would recommend against this setup if you have medical problems or you're planning on taking your kids for a ride.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mugen NZ suspension for sale at the moment, it's had about 10,000 miles on it.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM

What is the reason that you are selling it? Too harsh perhaps?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Aragostas and they are a pretty good setup for track or street. This is my daily driver and when I bought them they came with stiffer Swift spring rates. A lot more stiffer than the Mugens. So the Mugen bucket seats had to go. Honestly it was like riding on two pieces of wood. Now I am back with my OEM seats and the ride is better. At higher speeds its really nice.. I also had Zeals and these are also a nice quality coilover.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Spoon fixed suspension with the Spoon progessive rate springs. I love them. I thnk they ride better than stock driving around town, then they handle really nice in the corners. I would recommend the Spoon fixed suspension.

Travis

Quick Reply: Mugen NZ vs. Spoon adj. vs. Spoon Fixed