JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Trust oil cooler issue

Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trust oil cooler issue

Today I installed the trust/greddy oil cooler kit for my s2000. The issue however is the oil filter both hamp and Pdx ( the giant blue one) both go onto the new extended thread for the mounting block extremely loose. They wobble on there worse then the normal thread without the block. It's as if the male thread is 1mm smaller. I searched and couldn't find anything but is there a solution to this or regardless of how loose it is does it not matter. I did read the the greddy filters have a extra thread on them, but I fail to see how that would even help this situation. Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
The Greddy oil filter relocation kit does not have the Honda (20mm x 1.5 pitch) threading on the adapter. This is the text from Greddy support to an owner who discovered it the hard way.

Thank you for your inquiry. Upon reading your email, we believe it is due to the use of improper oil filter size. Please be aware that when using the provided oil block adapter, it will convert the thread on the filter side to 3/4 16UNF. The thread on the block side will be M20 1.5 however the filter side is different. So to eliminate your issue, all you would have to do is to use a filter with 3/4 16UNF. We recommend the GReddy OX-2 or any other filter of your preference with the filter threaded to 3/4 16UNF, dims of the oil filter body is O.D. 74mm and Height 85mm. Please reference #22 and 32 accordingly from the S2K instructions/parts list. This should eliminate your issue. Please let us know if you have further trouble.

So, they want to sell you the filters, too. I think that it's a very underhanded way to do business. That's why I do not use any of their products.
I don't see what's underhanded about the product and/or Greddy. It may be a bit stupid, i'll say that. But the reason is probably because they had/have many existing applications for the 3/4 x 16UNF adapter since they fit most Nissan and Toyota, for which greddy has a long history of supporting. Hondas--not so much.

Again, i don't find it shady one bit--sure, they are telling you that they RECOMMEND their own filter that fits because why wouldn't they try to sell their own filter? they aren't in the business of making products then recommending the competition's products instead. That would be asinine. That shouldn't stop anyone from being able to go out and buy a correct 3/4 x 16UNF filter, common to many nissan and toyotas! They are readily available. If Greddy were the only ones making this size filter or if they were trying to hide the fact that the block and filter side have different thread pitches, then i could see it as shady. But no, it's just stupid (and maybe lazy and/or cheap) that they don't develop/include a honda adapter on the filter side, but instead just include a nissan/toyota adapter that they already produce.

i haven't seen the instruction manual, but the filter adapter spec MUST be stated in there. Also, anyone who had lost engines to this before, shouldn't blame greddy since a honda filter will clearly go on loose, signalling a problem. If i have the wrong thread pitch for a spark plug or something, i'm not going to just cross thread it into my head and say it shoulda fit. If it starts cross threading i will try to diagnose and find out what's wrong first. Same goes for the opposite end of the spectrum if something is too loose...
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Well I will admitt that is a bit gay. Such a shame, the rest of the kit is faultless and fits perfectly. Thanks for your help guys. Now to find a Nissan filter. :s
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM

OK so i ended up using this filter.

My understanding is its used on a toyota. We tried the nissan SR20 filter and that was the same as the OEM hamp one. This seems to work fine but i want to try and find one that holds more volume. It appears that some guys have this issue and some don't. So i guess if you do this mod you just need to suck it and see.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thebob, resurecting an old thread but I've just gone through the same issue with my trust/greddy/grex oil cooler. The only difference is I removed a unknown Honda filter!! Are you still using the ryco Z386? See my build thread in the Aus forum for pics
Old 01-20-2014, 01:34 AM

No, i found a male to female thread that was the same pitch on both sides and just replaced the supplied one so i could run my normal honda filters. 7-10 track days later and i have had zero issues.