JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Water/Meth Kit on an NA S

Old 09-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also read that Meth can be corrosive to aluminum. We are installing it in a GSR right now, but it has been iron sleeved so I didnt do much research into it.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM

i thought it was something about piston rings...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by midnightsunset,Sep 15 2008, 02:37 PM
I just go to the specialty gas station for 110 leaded VP Racing fuel for those days I want more.

I think you will find that a Water/Meth kit will require a lot of work to setup for a small performance benefit and requires maintenance.

If not, 6.99 a gallon FTW.
And what does that do for your engine exactly?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 AM

Yeah, when its left in there, you should only have it activated under heavy load or full throttle at a certain rpm that way it clears it all out.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightsunset,Sep 15 2008, 05:37 PM
I just go to the specialty gas station for 110 leaded VP Racing fuel for those days I want more.
race gas makes our NA faster? Explain? I thought octane was rated because of the pressure it takes to ignite. Something to do with timing maybe?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

i wouldn't think the ecu would automatically advance timing dependent upon octane quality, some cars have advanced ecu's that do that but the s2ooo?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM

I found this but I haven't read it all. Hope it helps answer your question.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=630654&st=0
Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Jesus Christ. It took 2jz to even bother to do some reasearch on this. That link is grossly inaccurate BTW, but at least it is somewhat informed.

There are a couple of high quality inject systems out there. As one of the first posters noted they all have diagnostic/cutoffs, not that you would need that on a non-turbo, but it gives you more options.

The issues are cylinder washdown where the oil is diluted leading to lubrication failure at the rings, ring corrosion, and contaminants.

BUT our map can go to 93, so there would be real benefit if the system was implemented correctly in hot climates (No whining to us for failures in 2 months or complining about how the dealer won't warranty it).

"Just add a fuel cell" Really, where? How are you going to switch fuels?

The LL racing fuels will kill the cat.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ,Sep 24 2008, 10:21 AM
The issues are cylinder washdown where the oil is diluted leading to lubrication failure at the rings, ring corrosion, and contaminants.

Exactly.

I had an aquamist on my old MR2 turbo for a while.

Yes, in theory you could cool the intake charge and run a little more timing, but you without the added push of a blower shoving more air into the engine, water injection is not going to do much.

Most of the systems have a pressure sensor that once you hit boost it starts to spray, and you would be surprised at how much it sprays if you disconnect the hose. Without lots of boost being shoved in you would need a seriously fine nozzle to keep the spray level down (these are high pressure pumps) otherwise you just blow out the spark and flood water into the cylinder.

Secondly, without boost you have to tune off a pressure sensor that is going to have to dectect minute changes in pressure versus a big rush of boost. You run the risk of hitting huge problems getting it to come on when you want it to and stay off when you need it too.

IMHO its a useless route without FI in a four cylinder engine. If you want cooler temps, an intake gasket and CAI and maybe a vented hood would be easiest to get the most out of advancing timing without giant headaches and potential damage.

IF you could get it to work right, you might get a couple hp over just tuning alone, but for all the $ and hassle there are too many downsides. I know more than one MR2 owner who dialed up the boost and timing and ran water injection. Without a fluid level guage for the water tank, they drag race on the highway and at full boost the water runs out without them knowing, timing is then instantly way out of whack and boom. Bye bye wads of cash.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you both from the information. Some great things to know.

Quick Reply: Water/Meth Kit on an NA S