Member S2000 Classifieds and For Sale Items for sale by Members. PAID MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED to post classified ads with a paid membership.

How NOT to get scammed (ideas, some common sense)

Old 10-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2autox,Oct 21 2007, 02:39 PM
The Mods here in the market place should make an agreement post like they have on www.issforums.com. This is a shoe site, when two people agree on something they make an agreement post w/ what they're selling/buying blah blah blah. Ever since ISS did that there has been been practically zero scams. Just an idea. But yea the mods should check out ISS's market place it's well organized.
Its simply clarifying the elements of a contract. According to US law, there must be an AGREEMENT, CONSIDERATION, CAPACITY, and LEGALITY.

Agreement is an offer and acceptance
Consideration is legally sufficient "stuff" (money, goods, etc)
Capacity is the ability to conduct business (having title to the goods for sale, etc)
Legality is that there are no laws broken or anything contrary to public policy.

Generally, capacity and legality are givens, but the agreement and consideration is where problems arise on this board. I guess capacity is becoming more and more a problem with the internet.

Typically if you go to someone's house and buy the computer from there, they have possession and the title to that computer (the title not actually meaning a piece of paper like a car). On the internet though, a picture can be stolen and goods can be "made up" and the scammer takes money in a fraud situation.

Oh, and I like the agreement post idea alot.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 PM

i paid a member with paypal and he didnt ship my item out until my payment transferred from his paypal account to his bank account. i dont know if that helps but its an idea. i also didnt have a problem waiting either.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:00 PM

thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i previously suggested that in order to sell anything on the global FS forum, it should require a "QUALIFIED S2KI GLOBAL SELLER" badge that only mods can assign. for them to assign that, you should PM them requesting it, and then they contact your CO's who must know your face, general area where you live, your car, and they should have seen you at at least 3 official meets.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightcrawler7188,Oct 22 2007, 06:03 PM
i previously suggested that in order to sell anything on the global FS forum, it should require a "QUALIFIED S2KI GLOBAL SELLER" badge that only mods can assign. for them to assign that, you should PM them requesting it, and then they contact your CO's who must know your face, general area where you live, your car, and they should have seen you at at least 3 official meets.

WE have a few CO in Europe and none in Spain, it makes very difficult.

About the Badge I agree. Been an oversea Seller/ Buyer holds up lot of deals
Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After the issue with NFRAP1 and Veilside AP1 ... I really feel this should be mandatory.

7. If skeptical, have the seller take a picture of the item with his/her username, date, and time. I know of a forum that requires this.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevespai,Oct 20 2007, 07:20 PM
Does s2ki have the framework to allow a seller-rep system? I've seen this on other forums and it makes a lot of sense. A link located under their avatar allows potential buyers to see successful sales and comments.
This site could use something like that. I rarely buy on E-bay but I always check the seller's feedback before I buy anything.

Great thread HiPER, a lot of good ideas so far.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

bump ...add to it.

Choose a package carrier you trust. Do not ship from ABC company because they offer a slightly cheaper rate than XYZ company if they have bad reputation on losing items.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM

buyers always pay by paypal. Insurance for both parties.

Quick Reply: How NOT to get scammed (ideas, some common sense)