Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2008 Mid-Atlantic HPDE Schedule

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 9 2008, 08:37 AM
Bad part is that participation is low again. Need to continue to let them know we want to run. If TT's fail in this region, I'm not looking forward to traveling to the NE all the time. I didn't disassemble my car for nothing, damn it!
Quoted for truth. We're doing everything we can to keep TT going in Mid-Atl, not just at each event but per season, and right now things don't look good either way.

One of my goals at Mid-Ohio starting tomorrow is to pick the brains of all the TT'ers and chiefs about how we can improve things...
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Sep 9 2008, 08:59 AM
Instructors can run in time trials right? I can rent a transponder?
Yes. And yes. Only issue is making sure your students don't suffer, because sometimes TT sessions are just before or after HPDE1/2 sessions.

Part of how TT is bigger in other regions - southeast particularly - is because a lot of their instructors do it. We still haven't figured out exactly why that isn't the case here... and scheduling around it is virtually impossible.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what George may have meant was, "Do instructors need check rides in order to participate in TT's?" I would say, "Yes" to that question, otherwise I wouldn't need one.

Jon, from what I saw in March at VIR, instructing and TT'ing backed up to one another on the schedule. And I'm sorry about the check-ride thing. I never thought about a rental car.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 9 2008, 12:11 PM
I think what George may have meant was, "Do instructors need check rides in order to participate in TT's?" I would say, "Yes" to that question, otherwise I wouldn't need one.

Jon, from what I saw in March at VIR, instructing and TT'ing backed up to one another on the schedule. And I'm sorry about the check-ride thing. I never thought about a rental car.
I don't need no stinking check ride.

You do cause you have a rep.

It's not like I am passing anyone, only getting passed usually.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 9 2008, 09:11 AM
Good question. We play that one by ear, and it's kinda complicated.

Technically anyone who has been through a NASA instructor clinic and gained their very own red hat is allowed to TT. However, if you are particularly green as an instructor (i.e. only did the bare minimum in HPDE3 to be allowed into the clinic, and/or haven't instructed much since), you may need a check ride. Also you usually need one to actually get the TT license which you can use in other regions and/or at nationals, although instructors are technically allowed to TT without a license. The only people who automatically get the full license without a check ride are those with current NASA comp licenses, and those with years of instructing experience and great references.

Personally I like giving check rides to everyone interested in doing TT just to make sure we're all of a suitable skill level and similar safety mindset. And all this is only so the TT group is as safe as it can be. Theoretically it is the most dangerous thing NASA-MA does (i.e. street cars running for time), yet to date it has the best safety record of any run group we offer.

And to be fair, some people say our TT group is small because we're so picky about who gets in. To that I say I'd rather have a small safe run group than a large unsafe one (if letting unqualified drivers into TT is what it takes to keep it alive, I say let it die...)

I also think it's often too easy to become an instructor these days... case in point, one of the handful of people who have ever been denied a TT license in this region... was a fella who instructed for PCA and a few other groups (but none that I'm associated with.) I went on a check ride as a technicality and he was truly horrible. He was told to go back to HPDE2 and get an instructor. He never ran with NASA again...

Skip and Rob, I put you guys right in between. That is, I would let you TT and get a check ride in the same weekend. We will just need to schedule a ride before I can truthfully sign that piece of paper telling NASA National you're 100% good to go...

And George I think you're good to go but will need to look at your specific track event history before I can say for sure.

Hope that makes sense,

Jon
ps- can someone please tell me why I can't get email notifications about updates to threads on here, even though it says I'm subscribed?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Hobbs5313,Sep 8 2008, 08:27 AM] Thanks Skip.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by getfast,Sep 9 2008, 12:44 PM

And George I think you're good to go but will need to look at your specific track event history before I can say for sure.
Fair Enough

2 years with HPDE 3 in NASA, more than 80 track days since 2000 (I cant remember anymore)

VIR (South and full)
Summit (all three courses)
Ponono (east course) CCS school 3 years (bikes)
Beaverun

Actual timed event I took 2nd in 2WD mod at the first Redline event at SP in 2006.
Raced twice in a 3 hour team enduro on YSR50s (don't ask)

Here some of the clubs I have instructed for.
I took the NASA level 2 course this March,
Instructed for NASA (March VIR, July SP main, August SP main)
Mercedes club, 2005, 2006, 2007,2008 (Joe Wozney)
Honda S2000 club 2004-2005, 2007 (John Oldt, Skip Merryman)
Mazda Drivers 2007 (Dave Nugent)
SVTOA 2008 (Brian Shafranek)
CDC/Nerd racing track day 2008 (Pete Gochman)
Trackdaze 2008 (You)
Redline 2008 (you again)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Wow this is very interesting. I always wanted to get a racing license or TT (don't know what that means ). I'm currently getting all the autox experience this year, reading all about NASA, SCCA rules just for basic familiarity of the system. So hopefully, next year I can join you guys and learn from everyone.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beepbeep,Sep 9 2008, 02:29 PM
TT (don't know what that means
Ron, TT = time trials.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=4WheelCBRR,Sep 9 2008, 01:49 PM]Ron, TT = time trials.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mid-Atlantic HPDE Schedule