Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2016 Track Junkie Thread!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yeaitsahonda
I finally got to get back to the track this past weekend. I ran Summit Main with Chin Motorsports. It was my first time doing one of their track days. The event was well run and other than some lightning delays couldn't have gone any smoother. The caliber of cars at their event was insane. I think if you took out the 4-5 us that had sub-$20k cars the average cost was probably $100k. Probably 10 C7 Z06's and countless Porsche's. And unlike other events it seemed like nobody was afraid of the power they had. The advanced group was FLYING. It was also really nice because the run groups were fairly small so there was a lot of open track. If you guys ever get the chance to go to one of their events I highly recommend it.

Glad you had fun Dave Sounds like I need that SOS kit and 285 square setup though!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://youtu.be/jvGa6rRxhz4

Pretty cool aerial view of Dominion
Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Lalasissyboy

That front straight looks longer than Indy or Pocono.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 664 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
So all TNIA events at Dominion are cancelled for 2016.

"As you may be aware, there has been a significant amount of work and effort put into potential Track Night events at Dominion Raceway in Northern Virginia. Despite those efforts, SCCA Track Night in America has made the decision not to hold events at Dominion Raceway in the foreseeable future.

While the track has made great strides to accommodate groups like Track Night, the current configuration of the track itself is inconsistent with the philosophy and needs of Track Night. For those of you who are interested in learning and experiencing the track, we recommend the Performance Driving Experience program offered by the Washington DC Region."

It blows but ah well. I guess I need to try and figure out when I can do some other events..
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Lalasissyboy

Nice.. you can see some of the elevation changes from different angles. Looks like it's right next to 95. Didn't realize it's that close. Also, the aerial video is funny because the track looks like it's in the middle of a forest (I guess it kinda is). I can only imagine all the trees they had to remove to prep the site..
Old 08-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Originally Posted by yeaitsahonda' timestamp='1470091167' post='24030089
I finally got to get back to the track this past weekend. I ran Summit Main with Chin Motorsports. It was my first time doing one of their track days. The event was well run and other than some lightning delays couldn't have gone any smoother. The caliber of cars at their event was insane. I think if you took out the 4-5 us that had sub-$20k cars the average cost was probably $100k. Probably 10 C7 Z06's and countless Porsche's. And unlike other events it seemed like nobody was afraid of the power they had. The advanced group was FLYING. It was also really nice because the run groups were fairly small so there was a lot of open track. If you guys ever get the chance to go to one of their events I highly recommend it.

Glad you had fun Dave Sounds like I need that SOS kit and 285 square setup though!
Haha it would definitely help when out with the big boys. I feel like my left arm got a workout. And on that note, they actually allow use of turn signals as a point-by. Seemed like a good choice for the people that would typically just flail a hand out the window rather than give a decent point-by.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1470152310' post='24030582
[quote name='yeaitsahonda' timestamp='1470091167' post='24030089']

Haha it would definitely help when out with the big boys. I feel like my left arm got a workout. And on that note, they actually allow use of turn signals as a point-by. Seemed like a good choice for the people that would typically just flail a hand out the window rather than give a decent point-by.
[/quote]

Very interesting on the point-by. Kinda like that idea.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 PM

I thought it was a cool idea but never saw anybody do it so I didn't try it. Apparently that is the norm in Canada and they said it works well.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I thought it was a cool idea but never saw anybody do it so I didn't try it. Apparently that is the norm in Canada and they said it works well.
We use the turn signal at night events too.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Lalasissyboy, I looked but did not see you at the track daze event on Sunday at Dominion. I had a great time. It was much cooler this weekend--but there was a bit of drama in the last session!

My car is an '06 and my traction control system(VDC I think it is called?) failed during my 2nd to last session. Not sure why....i cracked a rotor during that session, but i have done that many times before and never had the TC fail. Anyway, with the TC off the car was SO MUCH BETTER. Understeer was all but eliminated. The car felt super balanced. Turn in was far better and I could power out of corners much more quickly. Even steady-state cornering through long sweepers was improved. So I swapped brake rotors then went out for my last session. The traction control was working again, but I went ahead and turned it off because of how amazing the car was the last session without it. I set a new best personal best lap time of 1:38.6. i felt like I was really moving. unfortunately towards the end of the session I turned in early at Turn 1 and clipped the high curb (which unsettled the car and put me into a slide). I panicked and foolishly lifted off the throttle which caused a tank slapper that culminated with me backwards in the tires. Damage was very light. Broke my passenger side rear taillight and there was very minor deformation of the rear bumper--some of the plastic pop rivets popped out--but luckily I have a box of them in the garage! I pitted in and the guys in pit lane told me the car looked fine and i could go back out right away. i decided to head back into the paddock and look everything over myself. Everything looked god and i was able to jump back ut on track and drive the rest of the session.

Video of my excursion is here:
https://vimeo.com/177958137

And video of my fastest lap with Traction Control off:
https://vimeo.com/177960132

And the aftermath--not too bad!:

Anyway just thought I would share! Be safe out there, watch out for the high curbs at Dominion, and don't lift

Quick Reply: 2016 Track Junkie Thread!