Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Anybody in Pax River?

Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody in Pax River?

Just moved here from Va Beach and wondering how "big" the crowd is here. I've seen a suzuka blue on base and a spa yellow where I turn into my subdivision in Town Creek. So, am I gonna need snow tires here?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to see somebody else from pax saying hi I've been here about 3 years. i know there are a suzaka or two in the area, at least another berlina besides me, a silverstone and a spa or 2. Haven't managed to actually meet any of them.

I'm easily ID'd as the non-stock berlina in the area.

I work on base by VX-20.

as far as need for tires, don't know. I've only had my S since about last march, so i haven't really experienced snow in it yet (though there was a day or two with some ice) My approach to the snow has always been let them get it plowed before going out. out in town it isn't very good, but the base does a wonderful job (aside from my parking lot, which always turns into a sheet of ice) the roads never look more than very wet when it snows.

there is a crew of "car enthusiasts" that meets at Target when the weathers nice. can't say much of them, only met them once. they have a board, somdracing.com where they post up gettogethers and stuff. seem like a nice crew w/ some nice cars, but havent' had a chance to hang w/ them much. They are a litte more into drag racing, not my thing.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 PM

I have the Spa Yellow in Town Creek. I have been down at pax for a little over 4 years. There are definitly a few S's down here. It seems like a lot of them must be garage queens. About a year or so ago we were going to have a get together for the Southern Maryland crowd, but the plan never got off the ground.

As for snow tires, you should be alright without them. I had my S down here for 2.5 years, and there were only a few times when I could not drive it. One time I had to leave it at work because I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. The nice thing about the area is everything is so close. If it's your only car either take off or bum a ride from someone who lives close. There is always the other option of just calling off on a snowy day. We have a few in the office who like to do that.

Quick bio; I'm 27 and I moved here from Lebanon PA and love to ride bike. It seems almost like a full time hobby. I ride both Mtn and Road bike. As for work I'm a govie who works for 4.2 cost analysis.

Give me a wave if you see me or stop by the house sometime.

Dan

Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Good deal, I'll definitely see you guys around then in my also bone-stock '01. Well, until TPS starts in Feb and I'm holed up in class/studying. I spent my last 3-4 years in Oceana as a Hornet guy; before that my S was with me in Meridian, MS where I bought her.

Yeah, Dan, I'll wave or drop by if I see you around. I'm down on East Sunrise / River Road, usually working on the house nowadays. Nice wheels, btw. Glad to see the top down- I finally got my car cleaned up after moving and all of the darn rain last 2 months in VA. Now I gotta start using the garage! I'm psyched for that.

Aside from things you do yourself, do you all trust anyone with your S in this area w/o driving to Waldorf?

-Bill
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by wjmb,Nov 6 2005, 07:43 PM
Aside from things you do yourself, do you all trust anyone with your S in this area w/o driving to Waldorf?
not yet and i have yet to try ken dixon in waldorf. I've barely heard anything about them, and the little I did I wasn't impressed with. I've been doing pretty much everyting on my own, so haven't really had to go looking for a good shop yet. but I know I will at some point.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 AM

Well, I'm available to help, although I have limited shop tools. We can always hit the hobby shop on base.

Took off my front VA plate- you all think the MD cops will bust me for it? I need to somehow register my car in PA like my wife's Civic.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 AM

I love using the hobby shop. just haven't needed to go there yet w/ this car. I do know I'm gonna have to get some boards or something to drive up on when I go back. I couldnt' get my old car on the lifts without jacking the front up, and this one is lower.

as far as plates go, i leave mine on. One less excuse for the cops to give me trouble (which they haven't so far )
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 AM

Just a quick btw for the southern Maryland crowd:

Changed out the head unit for a Clarion DB455MC and put in Boston S65rc's in the doors yesterday. Pretty decent sound now, about what should have come with the car in the first place. I wired for rears to go behind the seats; plan on putting 4x6's in there over the rear panel "grills". Bought the stuff through Crutchfield so I got free harnesses and quick shipping, otherwise their prices are so-so.

Anyway, for '00-'01's without the slightly better stereo this is an easy job, or I can at least help you do it. For a little less money, and if you want to keep the stock radio controls, keep an eye out for an '02+ head unit for sale (man I tried forever) and just replace the crap factory paper speakers. Wish I had the '02 doors so I could have done components without drilling holes in my door panels. Just wasn't up for that much...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM

I already have the full system replaced, though I want to swap the kenwood coaxials for some good components and dynamat the doors. probably won't happen for a while though.

went to the hobby shop sunday, didn't try to get on the lift though. gotta try and go back before saturday, need to rebleed my clutch. i think i got a big bubble some where,and I know why. more fluid inthe lines than in the reservoir
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Ouch about the clutch. Well, you're not missing any good weather right now.

Speaking of components, I love the Boston sound- suits my music taste very well. I had Rally series 5 1/4's in my old car running off an Alpine V12 amp with a 10" in the trunk. That was awesome; miss it more than the car (which I totaled). The coaxials I got have a similar sound, but I'm obviously missing the bass. Wouldn't mind a cheap powered sub to add to the setup I got now.

Quick Reply: Anybody in Pax River?